"Thanks to everyone from the bottom of this little girl's heart" - HIV girl overwhelmed by generosity

webfact

On 8/26/2022 at 8:17 AM, RichardColeman said:

I'd sure like to see the evidence of that statement.

If a mother is taking anti-virals - and undetectable - it is pretty much impossible for that to happen. HIV would be caught during vaginal birth - hence hiv mothers have child cut out and children put on immediate hiv medication from birth for weeks/months after.

One can only assume that the mother never had a blood test during early pregnancy - as if she did they would have found the HIV and put her immediately on anti-virals

HIV is a blood-borne virus which can be transmitted through bodily fluids, though typically saliva is not in great enough quantities to be of any concern unless the person has mouth sores to allow actual blood contact.  Because Caesarean sections were less common 17 years ago, it is possible that the girl did indeed catch the virus during birth.  It may even be that the hospital, if she were not born at home, did not have full knowledge of the mother's condition, due to the stigmatization of, not just the virus, but the likely occupation by which she had acquired it.

I knew a six-year old boy near Mae Tang, Chiangmai nearly 25 years ago whose mother died of HIV after having returned to her local village from her work in the Big City.  I attended her funeral.  I no longer recall clearly whether or not the lad was known to be positive for HIV, but it seems to my recollection that he was, and had acquired it from his birth.

The lucky children are those whose immune systems manage to develop natural immunity following their birth-time exposure.  Unfortunately, not all of them do.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Reigntax said:

And you forgot new iPhones!!

I'm sure you feel great posting that. Having other members liking what you wrote and having many hearts or smileys next to it.

Have you ever considered it was a human life that was in play here? That all of the people in this forum and nationwide donated for a good cause? 

I'm glad many members are the opposite of you honestly.