"Thanks to everyone from the bottom of this little girl's heart" - HIV girl overwhelmed by generosity

webfact

Echoing some on here and many further afield, here we have an uneducated grandmother with, to her, an impossibly large amount of money to comprehend and the forces of Thai greed will surely come out of the woodwork to "help" with "reasonable fees" attached.

You can deride me and we all hope I'm wrong but this amount could already be invested to produce 50k per annum and give some capital appreciation for her future.

However, my gut and decades of experience in Thailand tells me that in no short time anyone investigating how things are going will find that there is little left and no explanation of where it has all gone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I would not trust teachers to look after cash. Many years ago I sent 13k baht to a poor school in Udon to spend on the kids- they spent it all on new tables and chairs for the staff room and proudly sent me photos of same ???? 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Every little helps. My sister had a good idea. Working in a lawyers office where the totality of the other offices were similar, architects etc, they’d have a yearly whip around of all the building and then choose someone who needed help , handicapped kids, operations abroad etc . I thought it was marvelous how they all came together and did what they can. More of this is needed in these difficult times. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SGD said:

Echoing some on here and many further afield, here we have an uneducated grandmother with, to her, an impossibly large amount of money to comprehend and the forces of Thai greed will surely come out of the woodwork to "help" with "reasonable fees" attached.

You can deride me and we all hope I'm wrong

"...here we have an uneducated grandmother ... hope I'm wrong..."

You are wrong, try reading the OP properly.

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2022 at 6:02 PM, NightSky said:

Good luck JAA. Even though the medicine is so good now that you can live your life without harm from the virus and you can have children without passing on the virus, just like other people, my prediction and hope is that there will be a cure in your lifetime so the stigma can end quickly too. 

Keep smiling young lady. ????

The stigma could cured if people were just a bit more compassionate 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starky said:

What you call sad I call realistic even the most rudimentary search would provide thousands of times where stories such as these have gone pear shaped. I'm am proud of the many people like myself who have donated and as I oh so clearly stated I wish nothing but the best for the girl. 

Unfortunately in my over 2 decades living here I have not only heard but seen and experienced how some people here as in the rest of the world react when it comes to other people's money. I poured zero cold water on it and only the blind or the foolish would not believe this has the potential to go wrong. 

Everything in life has the potential to go wrong if your glass is half empty so whats the solution ? everyone do nothing ?

On 8/25/2022 at 10:32 AM, webfact said:

a committee of trustees who will make sure that the money is spent properly

The only part I didn't like.

Apart from that, it's a touching story and those of you who donated can be extremely proud of yourselves.

That was a really nice thing to do.

????????????

Given all the publicity I'd hope that the money is well spent on her future, and I'm confident it will be. You can't help everyone in the world, but I feel really good having made a small contribution to help this young lady.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SteveBull said:

Everything in life has the potential to go wrong if your glass is half empty so whats the solution ? everyone do nothing ?

Reading comprehension not your strong point then?

19 minutes ago, SteveBull said:

I guess that's my English degree trashed then.

I guess. If you think the post you quoted was negative or suggested people should do nothing. 

Edited by starky

On 8/26/2022 at 12:00 PM, Skeptic7 said:

:cheesy:

NO superstition required. She most likely been praying to "Buddha" most of her life with zero results. A single pair of hand doing is worth infinitely more than a billion pair clasped in prayer. 

Actual people are looking out for her with all the kind and generous donations. Bet no monk or wat donated a single baht. 

Then praying to Falang’s is far better than to Buddha!!

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

People like you need to lighten up and get a life ....  

S100, it must be hard for you to comment during this time of grieving with the master booted from office. 
with his temper make sure you’re close enough for his tantrums.

18 hours ago, Graemej100 said:

I wondered how long it would take for someone tl throw cold water on this lovely story.

Not long at all.

What a sad life some people here must lead.

There is a difference between cynical and realistic.

you can bet there are many close to the girl scheming how they can further their “careers”also.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

New laptops and phones to manage the banking App for the account they're in charge of for the next undisclosed number of years?

Hopefully not like the Red Criss post 9/11. Received 550 mil in donations and distributed only 150mil.

And they are supposedly reputable!!!

Edited by Reigntax