How True is "the smiles are fake"?

Brian Nose

On 8/26/2022 at 3:37 PM, Dmaxdan said:

With a genuine smile, the eyes will move as well as the mouth.

I don't believe this. I'm 85 years old, and don't have crow's feet, which are caused by your eyes moving when you smile. I grant you I don't smile a lot, but when I do, it's genuine. I think that's true of (some) other people, too.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:27 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

https://www.ywamthai.org/office/culture

The Killing Smile Trilogy

https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Smile-Land-Smiles-Trilogy/dp/9749233573

Try reading a books

Christopher G Moore is an expert on Thai  Language  and Culture including 'heart language'

And the Language of smiles.

1FinickyOne please explain your emoji - Are you just trolling ? What is amusing in my comment?

Edited by The Hammer2021

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Maga Cult.....good to hear you are still a sane person

Like many liberals, Trump STILL owns your every thought, eh? BTW, two things: 1) You’re off topic (again…) and 2) I didn’t vote for him, so stick that in your ear.

Edited by DBath

On 8/26/2022 at 3:32 PM, Iamfalang said:

simply talking, not fake.

if they want your money, probably fake.

if they have your money and want more, definitely fake.

if they want anything from you, likely fake.

kids, almost never fake.

old people, very rarely fake.

ages between like 30 and 50..........the fakeness meter rises

I see you've been here a while...????

8 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Maga Cult.....good to hear you are still a sane person

Things are not much better with Mr. Dementia in the White House.  

“I do not fear the loud enemy, it’s the quiet ones I fear”. Uncle Joe sounds non threatening but he will cause long term damage and also “how come my student loans were not forgiven”? 

• Thanks 1

Smiles from people 'selling' something ... hmm

That's worldwide ... let that sink in.

After the sale, them smiles are real.  Non sales folks ... I found I usually receive what I project.   Either that, or I'm really a handsome man ... ????

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Smiles from people 'selling' something ... hmm

That's worldwide ... let that sink in.

After the sale, them smiles are real.  Non sales folks ... I found I usually receive what I project.   Either that, or I'm really a handsome man ... ????

Im 10/10

I sincerely believe most Thais  don't like foreigners at all. They don't like Indians.They don't like Chinese.They look down on people from Laos and Cambodia. They smile when there is a  chance of money coming their way. There are exceptions Thais who have a loving relationship with a foreigner but they are  a tiny minority. 

• Thanks 1

Thais use smiles to convey a wide range of emotions for which many Westerners would consider strange. If I was to generalise, I would say they are not fake, but rather outward coping mechanism for awkward or unpleasant situations. Other Thais would know exactly the true meaning.

Then Thais also smile for exactly the same reasons we do (some of which might also be considered 'fake' e.g. sarcastic smile), but many of which are genuine smiles of joy, happiness, and pleasure.

As with any foreign culture, if you plan on spending any length of time among it, it is best to learn the nuances so that you can function more effectively within it.

I just got a couple of responses back from friends in USA - I sent off a couple of photos of my wife and daughter/niece...

They responded how 'nice to see people smiling'

maybe just enjoy and don't look a gift horse in the mouth...

'I know 'the nose' knows'

21 hours ago, George Aylesham said:

No more or less so than the USA's universal wish of "Have a nice day". Both are simple gestures of courtesy, and courtesy is one of the lubricants of society.

First "Have a nice day" is not some universal cultural wish, where I am from it can be used in two ways, one positive, one negative. While I do understand, the USA is a far more interesting & important than Thailand.  Still - 

This  is a Thai forum. The 13 Thai smiles article linked up is a start. The fact that it takes awhile before visitors discover all is not what they think it is. Thailand has different meanings behind expressions that westerners assign one meaning to, is revealing, It should be in a visitors basic introduction/survival guide to the country. BTW I believe there are more than 13. Case in Point; My girl has particular smile she uses when she wants to buy something ... with my money. As stated below.

"a Thai Smile is often not what it seems. As Thais and longtime ex-pats will tell you, a smile may have a thousand meanings"

Edited by LomSak27

On 8/26/2022 at 10:32 AM, Iamfalang said:

simply talking, not fake.

if they want your money, probably fake.

if they have your money and want more, definitely fake.

if they want anything from you, likely fake.

kids, almost never fake.

old people, very rarely fake.

ages between like 30 and 50..........the fakeness meter rises

When a Thai playing sweet to me, in particular my GF, my question in return is "Tow Rai" (how much do you need)

21 hours ago, DBath said:

Like many liberals, Trump STILL owns your every thought, eh? BTW, two things: 1) You’re off topic (again…) and 2) I didn’t vote for him, so stick that in your ear.

Is this you Owning Me?...and yes someone that tries to destroy democracy and rule of law will and should be in the heads of all Americans who love the country..not to even mention stolen documents and a national security risk,,,but do cry more..

Remind me who cries about Obama, .Biden,hunters laptop and Clintons  emails daily!

Just go read the insane ramblings of your false prophet on truth social now........lol

Your hypocrisy is showing....dont forget to send your money to be King Maga Man!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Things are not much better with Mr. Dementia in the White House.  

“I do not fear the loud enemy, it’s the quiet ones I fear”. Uncle Joe sounds non threatening but he will cause long term damage and also “how come my student loans were not forgiven”? 

Ill take a President that loves America any day over one that only seeks to profit off it..

And one that doesn't stage a coup---lie on a daily basis and stole classified documents, but sure lets talk about student loans!...its called United States even tho GOP likes it divided....

Fear Politics 101=GOP

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Ill take a President that loves America any day over one that only seeks to profit off it..

And one that doesn't stage a coup---lie on a daily basis and stole classified documents, but sure lets talk about student loans!...its called United States even tho GOP likes it divided....

Fear Politics 101=GOP

USA Politics - Off-topic

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Is this you Owning Me?...and yes someone that tries to destroy democracy and rule of law will and should be in the heads of all Americans who love the country..not to even mention stolen documents and a national security risk,,,but do cry more..

Remind me who cries about Obama, .Biden,hunters laptop and Clintons  emails daily!

Just go read the insane ramblings of your false prophet on truth social now........lol

Your hypocrisy is showing....dont forget to send your money to be King Maga Man!

Wow, you sure got triggered, then proceeded to rant. I already told you I didn’t vote for Trump…AND, I also told you that you’re off topic - yet you just keep going on about Trump, Trump, Trump…get over it. 

On 8/26/2022 at 3:08 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

The smile can be fake, what the reality is, is that there are various smiles with different meanings. 

So if your question is if many of the smiles, are not the same genuine smile as we know it in the west, that is true indeed. 

"...are not the same genuine smile as we know it in the west, ..."

But of course us westerners are all so perfect.

What total rubbish.

Talk to some new yorkers or parisians and some from any big western city, plenty are unfriendly and unhelpful and if you do get a smile it has no genuine intent at all. Some will tell you to fxxx off. 

And there's some Thais who have been treated poorly by westerners, they've lost their desire to smile at westerners, and with some stories around not surprising. One: farang lady and husband rented house in Pattaya, company organized a driver for the lady to take her shopping, lady pay to pay. She didn't, always 'no cash, I'll pay you next time, bye'.

Company withdrew it's offer to organize a driver. Word got around, no taxi or song tao drivers would work for her. It happens.  

Edited by scorecard

4 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Did not vote and never supported the "King Maga Man".  One can not support Joe and also not support the support the former President at the same support.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DBath said:

Wow, you sure got triggered, then proceeded to rant. I already told you I didn’t vote for Trump…AND, I also told you that you’re off topic - yet you just keep going on about Trump, Trump, Trump…get over it. 

get over it?  a coup? get over it? insurrection? get over it? covid deaths from lies?  get over it?  constant lies...stolen classified documents....national security threat....and on and on

No thanks..I love my country too much........dont like it??....I'll leave it to the mods to do their job about topic but maybe you can send them a bitter email too......lol

For not voting for that traitor you sure seem to defend him otherwise you wouldnt reply

No one is forcing you to read my posts....click on my avatar and block all my posts....

The fact that you get upset over me defending my country says alot about your character.

• Haha 1