Udon review

Sparktrader

21 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sorry the duck has gone.  Last time it had 2 smaller ones with it, but the water was low, that was in March of last year when I had to do my paperwork for the Thai daughter in Udon

One of my last photos of the ducks having a family outing ... actually pulled of a drone vid from 2015.

npj.jpg

• Like 1

Udon will probably be your least favorite, but Nong Prajak or whatever is a great place.  That lake makes the city not a complete waste.   The city has people, markets, and you might as well check it out.   

NK or KK, not sure which one you will like more, maybe NK.  

Then Chiang Mai will be 10x better than all of those, but it only takes one great connection to prove me totally wrong.  I would rather date a girl from NK than CM.  

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

OP sums it up for me, in 'farangland' Udon, especially #3, and guessing hung out around Soi Samphan/soi Slum.

Poor choice of area, and not very representative and the many good things there at UT.  If you're only going to waste your time in farang areas of the towns you visit, you're wasting a trip to Thailand.

Did you go to Nong Prajack park for an evening ?

Did you go to Tawan Daeng ?

Have a nice meal at Barco/Prajaktra Design Hotel. or Dose Factory ?

Or the Naga temples

Edited by The Hammer2021

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

what about Wagyu steak and red wine, any of that in Ubon? ????

Not Ubon, but actually some great restaurants in Udon Thani that could pass as fine establishments in any country.

Fun City! 

55 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

Udon will probably be your least favorite, but Nong Prajak or whatever is a great place.  That lake makes the city not a complete waste.   The city has people, markets, and you might as well check it out.   

NK or KK, not sure which one you will like more, maybe NK.  

Then Chiang Mai will be 10x better than all of those, but it only takes one great connection to prove me totally wrong.  I would rather date a girl from NK than CM.  

Udon bit of a dive

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Place is a bit of a dump really. Phuket had cheaper rooms and nicer people.

Udon was a main American base to bomb Laos.

The natural look of Udon girls used to appeal to farang (nowadays, you don't see these often anymore,  by age 20 they have been surgically modified).

The main product of Udon in the 90s and 2000s were prostitutes.

A very high percentage of the bargirls in Bangkok and Pattaya were from rural Udon, especially Kumpawapi.

This history explains why it's the town in Isaan with most resident farang. 

Udon then got rich under Taksin. No more need to export women.

What did you expect?

Drove down bar street Thursday to pick up some Italian food… Noticed a new hotel looked modern about 1/2 way down the street… and a new house or? next to Tattoo shop.. just quick trip 

and didn’t stop….

UD Town for munch last night, and brekkie munch at place mentioned earlier ...  and again, UT's one plus ... food.

Dead zone, with exception of food areas.  Driving around this AM, no problem, and in rush.  Complete contrast to 2017.

Drive up from PKK was hell, as decided to do all at one go, 12 hrs for only 850 kms @ ฿2400 for petrol. 

Lovely drive though, parts of, especially going past Pak Chong area.  Lake full up and everything green.   Getting up on the plateau is always nice at rainy season.  

Last time, lake was very low, and cows grazing on half the lake bottom.  Couldn't see past the one ridge due to pollution.????

Stayed at Kangeroo Hotel ????????(฿550) listed as Phrosi Place on Gmap ?.  Comfy, quiet, basic, walk to UD Town.

300502058_1280817212663304_5851819417816680080_n.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

These are just a few of the inner city hotels in Udon--- so we can take it you usually pay about 130 baht a night in Phuket

On second thoughts --Your 100% Right -- Place is a <deleted> house--- everyone please take note and keep well away-- stay at value for money places like Phuket /Kho Samui/ BKK etc

image.png.2489907beb929b7cecd4b6f2e99217cb.png

Inner city vs inner city

Tuk tuks cost money

Took a flash back ride around UT today, soi samphan is still soi slum and the eyesore of the city.  Amazed they allow it to continue.

Aside from that sewer, the rest has much improved since we left in 2016/17, and much is revamped & new.   Apparently unscathed, relative to other areas dependent on intern'l tourist.   Busy busy busy, surprisingly, after 2+ yrs of 'situation.  Lots of old money, and commerce hub for the NE.

Really is one of, if not the best metro areas to live, aside from Krung Thep, and consider that statement is coming from someone who couldn't wait to leave the area, after 16 yrs living there.

Some nice landscape away from the city, as you near the edge of the plateau, with some nice views, drop offs and cliffs among the hills.

When I first went to Udon Thani, and was doing some visits to Bangkok Hospital to see an old friend who had been hit while crossing the street, I stayed on Soi Sleeze in the Irish Clock.  Back in 2008 The Irish Clock was the place to go.  Food was good and the beer was cold.  The rest of the street lived up to its name. I lived out in Wang Sam Mo, and then down in Nong Saeng and Kumphawapi.  All in all it was a good 10 years.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 4:20 PM, Sparktrader said:

20220826_200717.jpg

Seriously, pop over to Vientiane.

They have many diff Beer Lao flavors there. Just had an OK Beer Lao IPA here in Pai. Verdict: Beer Lao is a bog standard lager like Stella's or Heineken.

But you will find plenty of company-friendly women there, as well as $7 Peking Ducks.

And the sushi restaurant at the Intercontinental Hotel where Obama ate (for half off western prices). Obv, open-minded Obama is the only president to ever visit Laos.

Your odds, pricing, and general ambience will be ten to one over why-am-I-here KK>

On 8/27/2022 at 5:53 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Sorry the duck has gone.  Last time it had 2 smaller ones with it, but the water was low, that was in March of last year when I had to do my paperwork for the Thai daughter in Udon

The ducks always back for songkran