Swedish Man Found Dead After Eating Spicy Som Tam

george

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Botulinus toxin can kill you in less than a day. Most common in home canned goods.

Not sure how these crabs are prepared and stored but think there was several cases of botulinus poisoning up north not that long ago that resulted from canned crabs or something like that.

This really is worth a separate thread just on som tam - not flaming, I genuinely cannot understand how any farang can eat the stuff (or why they would want to).

You may have a point when the really fermented fish is used or the land crabs, but the tamer Central Thai stuff revved up with chilies is one of my favorites. It feels really healthy too.

Edited by Jingthing

My wife tells me that the stinkbeans mentioned in the original report are very much favoured by people in the south, and that many people there eat their som tam with almost raw crab. Now that can't be too good for you if you're not used to it. Also the plaa raa needs to be fermented for quite a long time, and there are some unscrupulous vendors taking short cuts, selling it before its ready.

But in any case, my heartfelt sympathy for the poor chap's family and friends.

My wife tells me that the stinkbeans mentioned in the original report are very much favoured by people in the south, and that many people there eat their som tam with almost raw crab. Now that can't be too good for you if you're not used to it. Also the plaa raa needs to be fermented for quite a long time, and there are some unscrupulous vendors taking short cuts, selling it before its ready.

But in any case, my heartfelt sympathy for the poor chap's family and friends.

I can tell you from personal experience that those go**nm stickbeans are the foulest injection known to man. But, as far as I know, they will not kill you as they are simple vegetable. Must have been something else.

Just another Pattaya hooker trying to make a quick buck.

Could you pass on the source saying she was a hooker?

Regardless, how could she possibly benefit from the guys death? She was not his wife and by the sounds of his living arrangement (staying in a spare room in a one-storey house of her friend) he sure doesn't seem to have much.

Some posters may consider putting brain in gear before engaging mouth. :o

About a year ago I read an article (The Nation I think) where they went out and bought somtam at numerous venues. The dishes were analyzed in a lab. 80% contained some form of poisonus bacteria. I guess the Thais build up a resistance.

I've never touched the stuff after reading that article. :D:o:D

This really is worth a separate thread just on som tam - not flaming, I genuinely cannot understand how any farang can eat the stuff (or why they would want to).

You may have a point when the really fermented fish is used or the land crabs, but the tamer Central Thai stuff revved up with chilies is one of my favorites. It feels really healthy too.

Well here in Lao it's either full on with the really fermented fish or nothing! People can't stand it if it ain't got bpaa dek . ... . personally I am more of a dam mak daeng (replace the papaya with Cucumber) person.

I never realised they call Papaya Salad - Som Tam in Thai . ... . as it's Dam Mak in Lao!

Botulinus toxin can kill you in less than a day. Most common in home canned goods.

Not sure how these crabs are prepared and stored but think there was several cases of botulinus poisoning up north not that long ago that resulted from canned crabs or something like that.

And supermarkets here have a tendency to leave damaged cans on the shelves. Be very careful, check the bottom of the can as well.

I can tell you from personal experience that those go**nm stickbeans are the foulest injection known to man. But, as far as I know, they will not kill you as they are simple vegetable. Must have been something else.

A neighbour cooks them 100 meters upwind and I can smell them every time. The smell reminds me of hot motor oil. :o

Talking about food poisoning...

There is a farang-owned pizza restaurant down in Kata on the left side of the northern beach access road (Kata Yai). He had three employees and made one the acting manager when he did his two-week trip back to Europe. When he got back from his holiday, he discovered that many customers had suffered serious doses of food poisoning while he was away. Turns out that the acting manager had thought he would impress the owner by saving him some money and turned off ALL electricity (including the freezer) every night! (You may get away with it in Europe, but not in Thailand!)

Okay, okay - slightly :o

Ms Sopa and her friend cooked two dishes of spicy northeastern-style papaya salad, one mixed with pudong (fermented crab) and another mixed with plara (fermented fish) for lunch on Friday. They ate the salads with sator, a strong smelling flat, edible bean.

That is quite a strong combination of Isaan style food... and guaranteed to upset the stomach of one used to Western food.

Upset stomach sure - death by som tam in 24 hrs not likely

Just another Pattaya hooker trying to make a quick buck.

Could you pass on the source saying she was a hooker?

Regardless, how could she possibly benefit from the guys death? She was not his wife and by the sounds of his living arrangement (staying in a spare room in a one-storey house of her friend) he sure doesn't seem to have much.

Some posters may consider putting brain in gear before engaging mouth. :o

Way out of line. But it's more than 50% probability to be correct.

One thing is for sure,you have to be carefull with what you eat in Thailand.Hygiene is not the strongest point in the kitchen or where people cook,and yes to save money, some put out the freezer at night, have seen that even with an icea creme freezer. :D I have eaten Papaya salad myself but only where the hygiene is ok, and my friend knows a good papaya salad when she sees one :D

[

Botulinus Toxin?
:o

Brilliant!
:D:D

It is not that serious as you might imagine, the guy was diabetic and the "food poisoning" from the somtam made his blood sugar level skyrocket, that is thr main reason why he is dead.

An authopsy will be preformed this week in Bangkok according to the Swedish embassy.

It is not that serious as you might imagine, the guy was diabetic and the "food poisoning" from the somtam made his blood sugar level skyrocket, that is thr main reason why he is dead.

An authopsy will be preformed this week in Bangkok according to the Swedish embassy.

Source?

I have been eating Som Tom for many years without any problems, admittedly I dont crunch up the Poo dum and spit out the pulp like my missus and kids do. Sator is a staple down here in the south It may be an aquired tast but once you get used to it it is like most Thai food, Yummy. We always have a few pods hanging in the kitchen. The wife usually eats the beans raw if we are eating a rich or spicy curry, her gaeng sator is one of my faves.

Little chance of a autopsy to find the real cause. :o

Do the Swedish Govt. not do one when repatriating the body? The UK does as a matter of course and a Coroner's Court is established to determine cause of death...

Where did you get the idea that the body will be repatriated?

Perhaps it was in the BP article, no longer available...............?

If it were me I would be cremated in Thailand and no-one would know the real cause of death.

After feeling very ill from eating a German Potato Soup and suspecting MSG (Mono Sodium Glutamate) being the culprit I read up about it.

It seems to be a very dangerous drug and together with the 'natural' ingredients in Som Tam it my have well helped to put him away.

http://www.sellingsalesmanship.com/msginfo.html

:o:D :D :D :D :bah: :bah:

. . . and 'that' article is about 7 years old and a load of <deleted>! Of course everyone is fat because of MSG . . . I mean look at all the fat people in Asia! :o

Americans are fat because they eat too much <deleted> and sit on their <deleted> all day nothing to with MSG!

As much as it would be nice for a clear cut case as this, surely being a diabetic he would know the symptoms of his blood sugar level being very high and have seeked medical assistance.

It just seems slightly strange for some who is diabetic to refuse medical assistance if feeling unwell and die within 24 hours from a high blood sugar level.

Anyway I guess all will be revealed in the autopsy.

Edited by technocracy

Already the Roman, 2000 years ago, knew that "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc" is wrong.

In other words, because it happened after something, does not necessarily mean it happened because of this thing.

So, we all just speculate here about the poor guy's fate. We really have to wait for the results of an autopsy.

I keep eating what I like, even Som Tam (but I just leave out the Pbu pala).

And supermarkets here have a tendency to leave damaged cans on the shelves. Be very careful, check the bottom of the can as well.

A neighbour cooks them 100 meters upwind and I can smell them every time. The smell reminds me of hot motor oil. :o

Are you talking about botulism? If so, it's extremely rare, but can be quite deadly.

Already the Roman, 2000 years ago, knew that "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc" is wrong.

In other words, because it happened after something, does not necessarily mean it happened because of this thing.

So, we all just speculate here about the poor guy's fate. We really have to wait for the results of an autopsy.

I keep eating what I like, even Som Tam (but I just leave out the Pbu pala).

Very wise words. Could be just a plain old heart attack.

I don't have a problem with the normally not-so-hot somtam tai, but anything with pla ra or raw meat ingredients in it, I give a wide berth.

Anything that looks and smells like <deleted> is usually not to be eaten, imo. :o Kind of a personal code of standards.