High Index Progressive No Line Bifocals Lenses

JimTripper

Where can I get high index progressive no line bi-focal lenses put in my own frame in Bangkok and how much do they cost? Just the lenses and not the exam.

Some place on Sukhumvit said it's around 20k baht and I don't want to pay it.

Edited by JimTripper

I just found a bunch of online sites where I can mail in my frames and get them back with the new lenses.

I did not know that worked  but I do have the pupil distance on my rx so it may work. I always thought a person had to measure it with me there.

Edited by JimTripper

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

online sites where I can mail in my frames and get them back with the new lenses.

I would do another eye test for exact power required for lenses, the specs change amazingly fast, especially if you're older.

Mine cost 45k the same price as UK and Kuwait  but it depends on your eye condition. Any optician can organise them from the famous  chain with the pretty girls Top Charoen to major hospitals. I got mine made cheaper at an opticians in Pattaya. Some times like Specsavers you get a two for one deal.

Edited by The Hammer2021

21 hours ago, Farmerslife said:

Back in the UK I used to use Specsavers but they were cheap lense that scratched in no time at all.

I have given up buying progressive spectacles in Thailand. I bought two pairs (one was also photochromatic) over 3 or 4 years ago at Specsavers in London. This included a free comprehensive eye test (just had to say I was a UK tax payer for  NHS paid-for test). The whole cost was 350 pounds and I still use both sets daily. I just checked and cant see a single scratch on either of them. Specsavers keeps emailing me inviting me for another eye test. I will take them up on the offer on my next visit but probably  decline ordering new glasses. The 4 year old ones are still good for me (even though I suspect my eyesight is IMPROVING  with age.

No more Thai specs for me.

22 hours ago, Farmerslife said:

20,000 baht all for high index, varifocal lense 

They'll waffle about "imported". My friend was in Boots in UK during a conversation the Boot's lady said "Oh, all our glasses come from Thailand".

Indonesia is good value but you might have to be on holiday for more than 3 weeks.

32 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

I have given up buying progressive spectacles in Thailand. I bought two pairs (one was also photochromatic) over 3 or 4 years ago at Specsavers in London. This included a free comprehensive eye test (just had to say I was a UK tax payer for  NHS paid-for test). The whole cost was 350 pounds and I still use both sets daily. I just checked and cant see a single scratch on either of them. Specsavers keeps emailing me inviting me for another eye test. I will take them up on the offer on my next visit but probably  decline ordering new glasses. The 4 year old ones are still good for me (even though I suspect my eyesight is IMPROVING  with age.

No more Thai specs for me.

I thought they would be cheaper in Thailand. Sounds like that's not the case. I will just get mine done at Costco in the Usa when I'm there.

Many Thai's cant afford 20k for glasses. Perhaps they are covered under the state health plan, or they just get cheap quality lenses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

This included a free comprehensive eye test (just had to say I was a UK tax payer for  NHS paid-for test)

I wasn't so lucky.

Went to Specsavers in the UK 3 months ago, thought I was going to get a free eye test as I'm over 60 but I was told I had to pay because I wasn't currently registered with a UK doctor.

Overall, still pleased with their service, I got two pairs for less than the cost I had been paying for one pair here.

On 8/30/2022 at 12:57 PM, Gashead said:

Another good online option is EYEBUYDIRECT.

Never heard of them until now.  I did a comparison with Zenni.  Exactly the same specifications, even with their discount they were USD80 more expensive.  Their frames are nearly twice as expensive.  USD90 compared to USD45.95 for titanium frames.

• Thanks 2

On 8/31/2022 at 9:46 PM, lujanit said:

Never heard of them until now.  I did a comparison with Zenni.  Exactly the same specifications, even with their discount they were USD80 more expensive.  Their frames are nearly twice as expensive.  USD90 compared to USD45.95 for titanium frames.

I love online shopping. Everything I need is there. I can compare lens type, price and even research brands.

When I goto a shop in person I'm rushed out with a lens I know nothing about. Just a hi-index lens.

Edited by JimTripper

Varifocal lens over here extra thin coated around 8,000 baht that's what I paid for my last ones and that's what I've been quoted this time  includes an eye test.

Try Modern Optical he was opposite Robinson's on Sukhumvit but he told me he was moving last time I talked to him but still in the area.

Good guy knows what he's talking about not like the dolly birds in Tops Chareon.

Sorry I'm not in Bangkok now so can't check where he is maybe someone else knows.

I think it's time to ditch your old frames. As several here have recommended, Zenni is the way to go.

Use a prescription obtained for cheap at Bangkok Eye  Hospital (Rutnin?) and then order Zenni. I've used and the quality is ideal. They are cheap and quick.

Zenni have their own App. It's well designed.

Most opticians in Bangkok will not give you the prescription in order to force you to purchase their frames etc. So the Eye Hospital is the best route.

13 hours ago, Gaccha said:

Use a prescription obtained for cheap at Bangkok Eye  Hospital (Rutnin?)

Another choice is Dr. Paragon at St. Louis hospital (Surasak on the BTS line).  He gives a full eye examination and a prescription that can be used anywhere.  St. Louis hospital does not sell glasses.