Halifax Bank (U.K.) Renewed/Replacement debit and credit cards.

Today telephoned Halifax Bank customer services and spoke to 'Nicola'. Was advised that renewed and replacement debit and credit cards can now be sent to Thailand addresses. Don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't work for you as I'm only relating what I was told. Good news providing all their staff 'sing from the same hymn sheet'. Previously they intercepted and destroyed my renewed debit cards but twice my credit cards 'slipped the net'. Should make life a little easier!

• Like 1

That is interesting news. Thanks.

I have Halifax CC (Clarity) which expired a year or so back and was refused a mail out to my registered Thailand address.

Was looking to change my address back to that of a UK family member as that was the address used when I set up with Halifax about 5 years back and was in the UK to verify my ID.

So, will give it another try in the next few days and see what happens.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah that is potentially good news unless they decide to change their mind and they have all the people based overseas.

According to their website, to change your address to overseas you have to print a change of address form off and post it to UK

With Halifax I've been able to change my address between U.K. and abroad online. With Santander if you wish to replace a U.K. address with a foreign one they require you to download a change of details form and post it to them. As you say, things can and do change. 

1 minute ago, PPGuy said:

I have Halifax CC (Clarity) which expired a year or so back and was refused a mail out to my registered Thailand address.

Was looking to change my address back to that of a UK family member as that was the address used when I set up with Halifax about 5 years back and was in the UK to verify my ID.

Thanks for that. Please let us know if successful. Interestingly, it was my Halifax Clarity Credit Card that got through to Thailand (and Paraguay previously). It was my current account debit cards that they intercepted, sent to my local branch who held them for a while before destroying them. So helpful!

30 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

With Halifax I've been able to change my address between U.K. and abroad online. With Santander if you wish to replace a U.K. address with a foreign one they require you to download a change of details form and post it to them. As you say, things can and do change. 

Interesting, i just tried using the app, but if an overseas address it stops and says call us, via their app which won't work I'm sure. Did you provide any proof of address?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Interesting, i just tried using the app, but if an overseas address it stops and says call us, via their app which won't work I'm sure. Did you provide any proof of address?

Even more interesting! It would appear they have ramped up security? Quite rightly too. When I last changed my address with Halifax Bank (June 2022) it was from my Thai address to my U.K. one. When I changed from a Paraguay address to a Thai address would have been back in 2017. Definitely didn't provide any proof at that time. But, of course, I was changing from an abroad address to another abroad address.

21 hours ago, PPGuy said:

Just to update.

I contacted Halifax by App initially but was advised to then call their customer service as there was a block on my CC, which was news to me.

So, rang them today and after much farting about was advised that the block was a credit score issue for issuing new cards. I can only surmise that was maybe caused by a miss-match between addresses, as the credit check co's still have my previous UK address on their records (with no electoral role noted) whereas Halifax have my Thai address. Anyway that was a 'computer says no' issue. May look to change my address back to the UK but no hassle as I have other UK CC options for now.

Interestingly none of the folk I spoke with mentioned Thailand as a no go issue. Even though all were aware that I was looking to send a new card to Thailand. So others may be successful, or that may create another 'computer says no' response. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, PPGuy said:

Just to update.

I contacted Halifax by App initially but was advised to then call their customer service as there was a block on my CC, which was news to me.

So, rang them today and after much farting about was advised that the block was a credit score issue for issuing new cards. I can only surmise that was maybe caused by a miss-match between addresses, as the credit check co's still have my previous UK address on their records (with no electoral role noted) whereas Halifax have my Thai address. Anyway that was a 'computer says no' issue. May look to change my address back to the UK but no hassle as I have other UK CC options for now.

Interestingly none of the folk I spoke with mentioned Thailand as a no go issue. Even though all were aware that I was looking to send a new card to Thailand. So others may be successful, or that may create another 'computer says no' response. Good luck.

Many thanks for the detailed update! Previously, in my case, the issue definitely was a ban on sending any cards to Thailand. Fortunately, that now appears not to be the case. As you say, folks will have to try it out to prove it. Most disturbingly and something I wasn't aware of is their review of our current credit score. I had assumed it was a once only view before they would agree to open an account for you. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Many thanks for the detailed update! Previously, in my case, the issue definitely was a ban on sending any cards to Thailand. Fortunately, that now appears not to be the case. As you say, folks will have to try it out to prove it. Most disturbingly and something I wasn't aware of is their review of our current credit score. I had assumed it was a once only view before they would agree to open an account for you. 

Being in Thailand is a bigger risk for them so i could understand the credit rating going down, if you spent loads on the cards and didn't pay back what would they do if you live in Thailand. Low risk with a bank account, just the overdraft.

I'll keep my address in UK for now

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Being in Thailand is a bigger risk for them so i could understand the credit rating going down, if you spent loads of the cards and didn't pay back what would they do if you live in Thailand. Low risk with a bank account, just the overdraft

Agree with that. Money is money and 50 years of previously well conducted banking counts for nothing because you may decide to stuff them or die with an outstanding credit card bill.