Retirement Visa Easiest Option

20 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Just enter thailand on a Visa exempt entry, extend that for 30 days - Providing you have a Thai bank account in your name, stick in 800,000 baht, then apply for your 90 days Non O visa followed by a 12 month extension - Simple process.

If the original Non-O visa is the one requiring the 800,000 bank account, doesn't that account have to have had the money in it for 90 days prior to application?  I don't see how a visa exempt (30 days, right?) plus and extension of 30 days will give sufficient time for the money to "steep" in the account prior to applying for the Non-O.

Am I mistaken?

3 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

If the original Non-O visa is the one requiring the 800,000 bank account, doesn't that account have to have had the money in it for 90 days prior to application?  I don't see how a visa exempt (30 days, right?) plus and extension of 30 days will give sufficient time for the money to "steep" in the account prior to applying for the Non-O.

The 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply for the non-o visa that will allow 90 day stay.

Requirments are here: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

The 800k will then need to be in the bank for 2 months when you apply for the one year extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply for the non-o visa that will allow 90 day stay.

Requirments are here: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

The 800k will then need to be in the bank for 2 months when you apply for the one year extension.

Thank you for the clarification, UbonJoe.  Is that different, then, from the family-based Non-O which requires only 400k?  Somehow it has always been my impression that the 400k was required to have been maintained for 90 days prior to each application and extension, and I just assumed that the same would be true for the retirement visa.

4 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Thank you for the clarification, UbonJoe.  Is that different, then, from the family-based Non-O which requires only 400k?  Somehow it has always been my impression that the 400k was required to have been maintained for 90 days prior to each application and extension, and I just assumed that the same would be true for the retirement visa.

The 400k baht for a extension of stay based upon marriage only needs to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply. It was changed over a decade ago.

Prior to March of 2019 the 800k baht had to be in the for 60 days for the first extension and then 3 months after that. Now it is 2 months for every extension.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

What a lot of unnecessary hassle.

Yeah I guess its fair to say there's small amounts of hassle getting a Non O at home country or in Thailand...... choices choices, its all doable.......

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 7:18 AM, RedArmy said:

Just enter thailand on a Visa exempt entry, extend that for 30 days - Providing you have a Thai bank account in your name, stick in 800,000 baht, then apply for your 90 days Non O visa followed by a 12 month extension - Simple process.

Is it required to extend the exempt entry by 30 days?  Or can you simply apply for the non O 90 day visa while during the exempt entry stay ? 

6 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Is it required to extend the exempt entry by 30 days?  Or can you simply apply for the non O 90 day visa while during the exempt entry stay ? 

I'm not 100% sure brother, but the 30 day extension will certainly buy you more time to get your banking affairs together.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wake Up said:

You do not have to apply for the 30 day extension but you may need it to do the application before you have less than 15 days remaining of the 30 days to do the application.

• Thanks 1