Mail passport to the US

OzMan

I have been asked to mail my passport to the US to obtain a visa for Bangladesh. The company I work for believes there is less likelihood of delays if I apply to their DC embassy, than their Bangkok embassy, since I do not have Thai ID. Is it better to send my passport via DHL or registered with the Post Office? The cost does not matter since my company will pay for shipping.

According to the Bangladesh Bangkok Embassy website, all you need as a non-Thai national applying for a visa there is a "work pemit / stay permit in Thailand".

https://bdembassybangkok.org/application-process-for-visa/

Don't you already have a Thai work permit? If for some reason you don't, then you do at least have a current permission to stay stamped in your passport, don't you? I would therefore strongly advise you to check with the Bangkok Embassy whether either of these (as appropriate) would do the trick in your case before sending your passport off on a magical mystery tour of Washington DC.

While your company might well pay for the shipping, would they necessarily pay for the cost of a replacement passport in the event of your existing one going astray en route to or from - or while in - DC?

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, OJAS said:

Particularly at 90-day reporting time if he needs to do this in person for whatever reason!

Safe to assume that he's worked out that his visa application won't clash with the 4 days out of 365 that he needs to do a 90-day report.   Or he can just ignore the 90-day report and pay B2,000 next time, no big deal.

19 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

I would love to hear your excuse for no PP if Imm ask to see it  

Perhaps he'd keep an acceptable passport copy to show anyone who asked not in an Immigration office while it's out of his hands.  Why would he choose to go anywhere near Immigration with no passport?  

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Safe to assume that he's worked out that his visa application won't clash with the 4 days out of 365 that he needs to do a 90-day report.   Or he can just ignore the 90-day report and pay B2,000 next time, no big deal.

Also worth a note that if the report is done "online" no physical passport is required at all.

• Like 1