Floral feast in Thai fine dining

snoop1130

Spicy-Fish-Salad-at-Khao-Kwan.-Photo-by-Veena-Thoopkrajae.png

Spicy Fish Salad at Khao Kwan. (Photo by Veena Thoopkrajae)

A simple yet very effective way of elevating any culinary is to add a splash of color with edible flowers. This is applied to both savory and sweets including drinks. For a long time, Thai dishes are professionally rendered with an aesthetic touch of edible flowers. Currently, a number of fine dining Thai restaurants and leading café have increasingly used edible blooms as seasonal ingredients. They are pleasing to the eye, and are very photogenic for Instagramers.

The edible flowers are quite common for home-cooking with the likes of  Butterfly Pea (Dok Anchan), Cowslip creeper flower (Dok Kjon), Sesbania flower (Dok Sano) or Humming bird Sesban Agasta flower (Dok Khae) are common among Thai foodies. Those are mainly served just like vegetables on the side of dishes. Yet the use for seasoning and aesthetic purposes – mainly for creation and elevation of the dishes – has just been increasingly popular in the past several years.

“Personally, I think I’ve exhaustedly used flowers in my creation as I have been doing so for the past two decades. I started by picking flowers from my friend’s garden to create dishes and from that beginning point, there is no return. Right now, I’d like to find a new twist to my cuisine as this time around I’d like to pursue forest cuisine,” Jarunwan Boonwiwatana, self-taught chef and owner of Homemade Cooking restaurant, told Thai PBS World.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/floral-feast-in-thai-fine-dining/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-09-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!