Renting Condo in BKK - realistic timeline?

Hi, all, just finished reading the very helpful thread from Brian Nose on how to avoid getting ripped off in the process. 

I am arriving BKK in November and will hopefully rent a condo as soon as possible.  I want to make a hotel booking in first instance, but not sure how long I am going to need to realistically close a deal and move in.  I will be looking for fully furnished ready to move in type condos in the Asoke to Thonglo area, which I am familiar with. 

Grateful for any views.

I am sure you could get some of them on the same day. Just walk in and pay. Done.

There are lots of available places to rent in any size (in that area).

Why don't you book a hotel for 3 days or so. You can still extend your stay in the hotel or switch to another hotel.

• Like 1

That's encouraging, many thanks.  I was planning a 10-day hotel stay so that I'd have time to find an ideal rental, sign contract and have a few days to shop for essentials before spending the first night at the condo.

As a follow up I'm also going to need time to get a Thai bank account (thinking of using an agent).  If I've not achieved this before signing for the condo, is there an alternative method to pay the deposit etc but also ensuring the funds go directly to the condo owner, not the agent?

7 minutes ago, DodgerRodger said:

That's encouraging, many thanks.  I was planning a 10-day hotel stay so that I'd have time to find an ideal rental, sign contract and have a few days to shop for essentials before spending the first night at the condo.

As a follow up I'm also going to need time to get a Thai bank account (thinking of using an agent).  If I've not achieved this before signing for the condo, is there an alternative method to pay the deposit etc but also ensuring the funds go directly to the condo owner, not the agent?

Personally I would look at a property site for condominium buildings.

i.e. here https://www.fazwaz.com/

You can select an area and the size and price range, etc. You should be able to find soon a couple of buildings which you like.

Look for buildings and not individual units. Because often what you see on the property sites is not the same as what is currently available. Agents keep good looking units in the list even if they are rented out since months.

And then go to the building and ask at the reception what's available and let them show you the places. Maybe you see already what you like.

And then you can likely pay cash at the building reception and get a receipt. Done.

Obviously you can also ask an agent. But do they know much more than what you can find on the internet? And is it in the interest of the agent to find a "cheap" place for you? 

And about the hotel: You don't have to checkout on the day when you found your condominium. Maybe stay for a night or two longer in the hotel, fill up the fridge in the new place, etc.

And you don't need a bank account. You can pay rent in cash at the condominium counter. That's what many people do - even if they have a bank account.

• Thanks 1

Another option is to look on air b'n'b for a condo that you think you might like then rent it for a month first. That was you can try it out to see if it meets your expectations. And if not, you've got a whole month to find somewhere new.

A lot less hectic than renting a hotel for a few days and rushing to find somewhere.

• Like 1

I would also go directly to the property.  The issues I have run into with agents is they show you properties that they have listed as there is no multiple listing services in Thailand.  Sometimes it seems from my experience, these properties are not always that desirable.  Hopefully, the property offices will be able to direct you appropriately to the responsible contact of the type of unit/location in the building you desire.

• Thanks 1

Thanks OneMoreFarang and JayClay.  Some very helpful advice.

The market seems to be absolutely flooded with available condos.  I've spent hours looking at hipflat and dotproperty (the same agents and same condos often appear on these platforms).  I can understand that the listings are not always up to date and photos not genuine (I can spot some photos being used for condos in totally different buildings????)

I was in BKK a month or so ago and spent time walking the area and identifying suitable condo buildings based on convenience and how quiet they might be (traffic, construction noise) and I also want to avoid those buildings that have multiple airbnb listings.

Thanks again for the input.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I would also go directly to the property.  The issues I have run into with agents is they show you properties that they have listed as there is no multiple listing services in Thailand.  Sometimes it seems from my experience, these properties are not always that desirable.  Hopefully, the property offices will be able to direct you appropriately to the responsible contact of the type of unit/location in the building you desire.

Do you mean enquire with the building management or security staff?  Seems worth a try as a first line of approach at least.  If I was an experienced renter in BKK it makes perfect sense.  I just worry that the owner will see me as an easy target to ramp up the rental price.

4 hours ago, DodgerRodger said:

I just worry that the owner will see me as an easy target to ramp up the rental price.

In general owners are happy to have people who rent the place at all. They might dream about more money but if they tell you to pay more tell them NO. Chances are high that they back off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1