USA Tourist Visa for Thai Wife

My question is about getting a U.S. tourist visa (B2) for my wife. I'm a teacher, and I'm planning to travel back to the USA during the October Thai school break. I'd like to take my Thai wife (who has never traveled to the USA) with me to see my elderly mother and stepfather. While I'm in the U.S. I plan to have a memorial service for my father who passed away during the pandemic, when we couldn’t travel. We will also bury his ashes at a cemetery. 

My wife and I have been in a relationship for several years. We've been living together in Bangkok since 2016. We had a wedding in November 2020 and were legally married in April of 2022. 

We have previously applied for B2 visas twice during the Trump administration. The first time, we meticulously prepared all the documents for weeks, but she was denied. The second time, upon the advice of Thai family and friends, we used an agency, who seemed to simply take our money and forget about us until a day or two before the interview. Again, she was rejected.

DETAILS:
-Wife is 37 years old.
-We've been living together since 2016.
-Wedding in 2020, legally married in 2022.
-We do not own property or a car and have limited savings. (i.e. She does NOT have over 800,000 Thai baht in the bank.)
-She owns a plot of land in Buriram
-She has two sisters in Bangkok but the parents are no longer living.
-Has traveled with me to Singapore, Malaysia, and Vietnam.
-She works in customer service for a major condo and luxury house development company. (Worked for 3 years, took one year off, now working at same company again.)
-I'm a teacher and have been at the same school in Bangkok for 4 years.

So now, what is our best approach? Should we go the agency route again? At this point I'm planning to write a letter to my U.S. Congressperson's office in hopes that they will intervene. However, I'm a little concerned because after reading the expedited application rules, they are very specific about rejecting non-urgent applications. Since my father passed away a long time ago, I'm not sure that they would consider his memorial service as 'urgent'. Any thoughts? What is our best shot at getting a USA B-2 visa for my wife for October?

When you got legally married in April 22, did you register the marriage with the US Embassy? And were you 2 legally married when she was rejected the other times?

About 7 years ago, my Thai wife applied for a B2 visa and was quickly approved, but we have a son together, she owns our house, and at the time we had already been married for about 6 years.

I didn't use a agency as the required paperwork/instructions are pretty straight forward and easy to understand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The key factor is her returning to Thailand and that this not being a shortcut to green card application without going through the immigrant visa process (which takes many months) now that you have married.  Her and your ties to Thailand are very important to help prove this - but as you have found out it is very hard to convince officials that she is really returning.  In my case was retired and wife had been approved for immigrant visa but we changed mind to remain here.  Several years later that information was key to getting tourist visa approved.

So give her any proof you plan return to Thailand as well as her and both of your employments.  If mother is unable to travel to Thailand would use that document to add weight to need for her to travel to USA to meet MIL.  I would give it a try,  If another failure consider sponsoring parents visit to Thailand perhaps.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bbko said:

When you got legally married in April 22, did you register the marriage with the US Embassy? And were you 2 legally married when she was rejected the other times?

About 7 years ago, my Thai wife applied for a B2 visa and was quickly approved, but we have a son together, she owns our house, and at the time we had already been married for about 6 years.

I didn't use a agency as the required paperwork/instructions are pretty straight forward and easy to understand. 

No, I haven't yet done the translation of the marriage certificate and registration at the U.S. Embassy. I have a translator who is prepared to do it on my behalf (using a power of attorney) for 3,500 baht. No we were not legally married the first two times we applied. I've recently seen scenarios in visa a visa forum where a married Thai spouse still wasn't able to get approved. It's perplexing. I agree that the paperwork and instructions are easy to understand, but I sometimes wonder if some agents have 'connections' for getting things done. 

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The key factor is her returning to Thailand and that this not being a shortcut to green card application without going through the immigrant visa process (which takes many months) now that you have married.  Her and your ties to Thailand are very important to help prove this - but as you have found out it is very hard to convince officials that she is really returning.  In my case was retired and wife had been approved for immigrant visa but we changed mind to remain here.  Several years later that information was key to getting tourist visa approved.

So give her any proof you plan return to Thailand as well as her and both of your employments.  If mother is unable to travel to Thailand would use that document to add weight to need for her to travel to USA to meet MIL.  I would give it a try,  If another failure consider sponsoring parents visit to Thailand perhaps.  

Yes, it seems difficult to convince officials that my wife plans to return to Thailand. To us it seems obvious, but... evidently not clear to them. Since she has a job we will (again) provide a letter from her employer indicating that she will still have a job when she returns. We did all of these things last time, but it seemed that no one looked at any documents that we had prepared. We considered having my mother come to Thailand, but my step father (in his early 80s) is about to undergo treatment for prostate cancer, so she doesn't feel that it's the right time to attempt another trip to Thailand.

1 minute ago, SeaMike01 said:

No, I haven't yet done the translation of the marriage certificate and registration at the U.S. Embassy. I have a translator who is prepared to do it on my behalf (using a power of attorney) for 3,500 baht. No we were not legally married the first two times we applied. I've recently seen scenarios in visa a visa forum where a married Thai spouse still wasn't able to get approved. It's perplexing. I agree that the paperwork and instructions are easy to understand, but I sometimes wonder if some agents have 'connections' for getting things done. 

Who told you to translate and register at Embassy?  There is no such thing. 

REGISTERING YOUR MARRIAGE IN THE USA: You cannot register your marriage through an embassy or consulate as marriage is a state-specific responsibility. Most states recognize the validity of legal marriages registered in Thailand.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married-in-thailand/

What you should do is go online and register yourself if not already done.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsregform/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andy said:

Owning property and bank account size doesn't mean shiitte, despite the mythology about this on this forum.  Neither does "registering" the marriage with the US embassy, which is not even a thing.  It won't be long before the replies about "sponsoring" the visa come along, which also is not a thing.

Previous international travel is good.  A letter from employer with PTO mentioned is huge.  Your work permit in Thailand will be useful.  That is pretty much it.  No other paperwork will be looked at.  Agents exist to take your money, they have zero influence on if the visa is issued.

I think your timing on the first tries was unfortunate.  My wife's first 10 year B2 expired in mid-2016.  Had no plans to go to the US at that time, but after November 2016 we decided to get on with applying for another B2.  Applied in early Feb 2017, approved after a 30 second interview, no documents asked for.

I'm assuming the part about asking a congressman is a joke, so won't comment...

Good points. Looks luck you were lucky with your wife's applications. Smooth sailing. I agree that some of the commonly stated requirements may not even be looked at when it comes down to applicant evaluation time. We will get the letter from her employer and my work permit. I'm assuming we might also have to show funds available for the trip. I had brought up the Congressman's office because I read about another applicant having good luck getting a special request from their local Representative.  Perhaps it won't be necessary this time.

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married-in-thailand/

The woman who did our marriage at the amphur offered to translate the final document (at her office) and take it to the U.S. embassy to have it registered. I'm assuming this just means getting the typical affidavit form and swearing that we really did get married. Thanks for the links, I'll do some more research.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SeaMike01 said:

The woman who did our marriage at the amphur offered to translate the final document (at her office) and take it to the U.S. embassy to have it registered. I'm assuming this just means getting the typical affidavit form and swearing that we really did get married. Thanks for the links, I'll do some more research.

Yes you should get a translation done in case it is needed in the future (bank account/insurance/pension or such) - but that has nothing at all to do with US Embassy.  Suspect US Embassy was added as incentive to do the translation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Interesting (This is from the U.S. Embassy web site): REGISTERING YOUR MARRIAGE IN THE USA: You cannot register your marriage through an embassy or consulate as marriage is a state-specific responsibility. Most states recognize the validity of legal marriages registered in Thailand. If you would like to register your marriage in the United States, you must contact the Attorney General in your state of residence to inquire about their specific documentary requirements. Some states may require your Thai marriage certificate to be “certified.” 

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes you should get a translation done in case it is needed in the future (bank account/insurance/pension or such) - but that has nothing at all to do with US Embassy.  Suspect US Embassy was added as incentive to do the translation.

Yes, that's a good idea. I can see that the Embassy bit was an 'add-on', now that I understand everything a little bit more.

Similar situation as you. Girlfriend denied twice in 2018. She mentioned the interviewers were extremely rude even before she began to talk.

It makes me believe that she was pre-denied based on the online application or the imbecile orange president mandates. The "Interview" was probably a required formality for show.

During the interview, girlfriend had a stack of suggested evidence documents to bring, but the interviewer wouldn't look at them. She had documents that showed she owned her own house, had a decent bank account, was fully employed for many years, had a boyfriend with substantial finances saved up, had letters of recommendation from an employed medical doctor (my sister), 

They interviewer said something along the lines as: "How do we know you will come back to Thailand"

GF: "I own my own house, and have worked at my employer more than 5 years, Here take a look at these documents that are proof"

Interviewer: "don't give me those documents, I don't want to see them. Like I said before, how do I know you will come back?"

GF: "I have no reason to stay in the USA, my whole life is in Thailand, take a look at these documents"
Interviewer: "Don't pass me those documents, I don't care."

GF: "When I am in the USA, I will stay at my boyfriend's sister's house. Here is her letter of  support."

Interviewer: "I don't want to see it, don't pass any documents through the window please."

Honestly, I was really upset when I heard this. If we were back in the states, if this was any other government agency, we'd probably be allowed to talk with supervisors, examine the employee's style of interview professionalism & fairness, and hopefully get someone that cared. But the US embassy here is a black box by design with no recourse. They could probably huck a loogie right into your face, and there'd be no way to report it. 

...sorry for the rant. it's still a sore spot. btw we're married now with a child, so maybe we will get lucky and apply again to showoff the grandchild to the western family.

Best of luck! Sorry I couldn't give any help, lol

Edited by creative1000
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, creative1000 said:

Similar situation as you. Girlfriend denied twice in 2018. She mentioned the interviewers were extremely rude even before she began to talk.

It makes me believe that she was pre-denied based on the online application or the imbecile orange president mandates. The "Interview" was probably a required formality for show.

During the interview, girlfriend had a stack of suggested evidence documents to bring, but the interviewer wouldn't look at them. She had documents that showed she owned her own house, had a decent bank account, was fully employed for many years, had a boyfriend with substantial finances saved up, had letters of recommendation from an employed medical doctor (my sister), 

They interviewer said something along the lines as: "How do we know you will come back to Thailand"

GF: "I own my own house, and have worked at my employer more than 5 years, Here take a look at these documents that are proof"

Interviewer: "don't give me those documents, I don't want to see them. Like I said before, how do I know you will come back?"

GF: "I have no reason to stay in the USA, my whole life is in Thailand, take a look at these documents"
Interviewer: "Don't pass me those documents, I don't care."

GF: "When I am in the USA, I will stay at my boyfriend's sister's house. Here is her letter of  support."

Interviewer: "I don't want to see it, don't pass any documents through the window please."

Honestly, I was really upset when I heard this. If we were back in the states, if this was any other government agency, we'd probably be allowed to talk with supervisors, examine the employee's style of interview professionalism & fairness, and hopefully get someone that cared. But the US embassy here is a black box by design with no recourse. They could probably huck a loogie right into your face, and there'd be no way to report it. 

...sorry for the rant. it's still a sore spot. btw we're married now with a child, so maybe we will get lucky and apply again to showoff the grandchild to the western family.

Best of luck! Sorry I couldn't give any help, lol

That story sounds remarkably similar to my wife's last attempt, before we were married. Sorry to hear that you haven't made it to the USA with her yet. Hopefully something will work out in the future!

• Thanks 1

I hate to be negative to this as well, but tourist visas for Thai's, especially women are notoriously hard.

I kinda gave up with it after we wanted to go visit my daughter who had just had a baby.

My wife professional woman, money in the bank, we weren't married at the time, but I thought we ticked most of the boxes. 

Of course she was denied!

Several years later when we wanted to move to the US with her an an immigrant visa, couldn't have been different.

There's the rub. A tourist visa is highly subjective, but with an immigrant visa is objective and all you have to do is tick boxes and it's a done deal.

Hope it works out, but it's a toughie for sure

• Like 1

I'm so frustrated about this. I think we're going to have to give up again and wait for another time, or get an immigrant visa later. It seems ridiculous because our nation supposedly represents equality and abhors 'discrimination' and yet here we are, taking money from people continually and actively discriminating against them due to both nationality and gender. It seems 'Un-American' to me. I researched this a few days ago:

According to the Homeland Security report from March 30, 2020, the average overall Non-immigrant overstay percentage average only 1.03%.  

Thailand is not specifically on the list of countries. The Top Five percentage countries with overstays: Portugal, Spain, Chile, Greece, and Lithuania. The top percentage being Portugal with 1.8% or 3,275 overstays.

Thailand is a Non Visa Waiver (NVW) country and the number of overstays for that category are 2.55%, less than the student overstay average of 2.71%.

There are some countries with a smaller number of visitors, but a much higher level of overstays, mostly from African nations.

It is very easy to get a visa for your Thai wife. Get a marriage visa. All she has to bring to the appointment is your original passport. We did it. It was easy. She got a 10 year, multiple entry visa. 

We were previously turned down for a student and a tourist visa. Once we were married, and she applied for the spousal visa, it was easy. She has been back to the US at least five time, and we never had a problem. Same with Mexico. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

On 9/3/2022 at 3:32 PM, SeaMike01 said:

Registering your marriage at the embassy is not needed.  Your Thai marriage is recognized by the US.  Been there done that and had the wife immigrate to the US with our daughter back in 2013 after being married in 2012.  I did all of the paperwork myself.

• Like 1

I have just one suggestion to add to the mix.

When you go to your visa interview at the embassy, have your Thai wife do as much of the talking as possible--even if her English is limited.  There's just something about seeing an independent/capable streak in the woman that seems to help sway the balance.  I watched a young man ahead of me in line answer all the questions for his fiance, and she just stood there mostly silent beside him.  The visa was denied.  Two weeks later, at our interview, I had my wife do most of the talking, and only answered for her when she had not comprehended the question.  Her fiance visa was accepted.  I have heard that at the time there was a 100-visa/year quota on those; well, we got one.

Note that this advice is merely my opinion, based on just one or two cases which I was privy to.  And this comes from decades ago.  But something about the American spirit seems to resist the idea of meek and submissive, "mail-order brides."  (And please know that I am not intending to be offensive in any way here.) 

On the other hand, I also know of a Thai lady, unmarried, who had a high-paying job, a house, and a car, who was denied a tourist visa in order to accompany her own elderly mother on the airplane.  Her mother had proper documents to stay in America, and was not merely a tourist.  The woman wanted to escort her mother, stay about two or three weeks, then return to Thailand.  But, no, it was not to be.  Single, marriageable women have a more difficult time obtaining a visa, because America seemingly doesn't want them to quickly marry and then have a path to citizenship.

Too late for this now, but I think it's easier to get a fiance visa, then marry in America, than to get a visa for her after you're already married.

• Confused 1

I would absolutely not register your marriage. This is essentially for people that plan to live in US. It accomplishes nothing except to tell the gooperment more about your personal life. Do not do this! If you're planning to remain here why bother to register there...

As was stated... the big thing that will help your wife is a letter guaranteeing her job upon return. If it's not in conflict with other documents submitted have it state the duration four years with personal leave if need be

All the other stuff and advice is rubbish especially contacting congressman. Land ownership, family...

You should also get a letter from your school. The duration, good standing and include the work permit showing that as well.

When she's doing the interview (hope) both of you might present a signed letter that you promise to return and going to bury deceased father and visit mother. Two short paragraphs.

If you message me I'll give you a last bit of advice.

Too bad you didn't marry sooner...

• Like 1

My wife successfully applied for a B2 visa for the US four years ago for the purpose of accompanying our daughter to start at her university.

During the interview, the consular official did not ask any questions about my wife's finances, property or anything else about her and did not wish to see any of her documents. The questions she was asked were all about my situation in Thailand such as how long I had lived here, for whom I worked and the like. She was asked to present my passport, but did not have it with her. 

It seems to me that the main consideration will be how strong the US citizen spouse's ties are to Thailand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Again, you do not register your marriage at the US Embassy.  You guys are giving out misinformation.

Embassies and Consulates cannot perform or register marriagesThe following information is provided:

For some reason I contacted the embassy related to being married... ACS asked me in an email if I was going to register it with them 2011. I don't know anything more about it and I did check your link briefly. But I'm positive of that.

I told them absolutely not. There's no reason to waste my time we're not going to live in the United States ever.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

It seems to me that the main consideration will be how strong the US citizen spouse's ties are to Thailand.

While not incorrect here he teaches English and so the ties are negligible at best.

The embassy will again either trust the couple or not.

Honestly dude, with two strikes I'd not even bother. Why stress more? Just go take care of your family business and come back.

Are you sure her background is entirely spotless? Did she make it to an interview and then rejected?

I recall when my wife went the first time and had to present herself. We discussed it at length so I can get a feel of what was going on there for the other women. I forget exactly what it was but she noticed quickly who is getting interviews and who was getting the boot. I think one of the things was if they take your passport you probably got the Visa and if they don't then you're out. But it was a very long time ago and I can't recall

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I haven't even been allowed inside to accompany my wife to the interview. As she told me the last time she was there she just looked up at the person in the window and they didn't want to see any documents or anything. It was over before it had even begun. But I wasn't allowed inside at all.

On 9/3/2022 at 3:54 PM, SeaMike01 said:

Interesting (This is from the U.S. Embassy web site): REGISTERING YOUR MARRIAGE IN THE USA: You cannot register your marriage through an embassy or consulate as marriage is a state-specific responsibility. Most states recognize the validity of legal marriages registered in Thailand. If you would like to register your marriage in the United States, you must contact the Attorney General in your state of residence to inquire about their specific documentary requirements. Some states may require your Thai marriage certificate to be “certified.” 

The funny thing is that I had always wondered about this. Marriage is states rights. I immediately thought if it's registered at the embassy how could it do me any good whatsoever in any state I might choose to settle if I chose to settle in the United States at all.

But I swear ACS asked me this in an email.

• Like 1