USA Tourist Visa for Thai Wife

My wife's history in terms of 'criminal record' is spotless, for sure. I've known her for years and I know exactly who she was with before. (A Thai guy now deceased due to one of those new strains of tuberculosis.) She was never a bar girl and has only worked in her sister's Rangsit village, and for the past 7 years, in well-known Thai corporations. Although I can't say what the problem is, I don't think that's it.

3 minutes ago, SeaMike01 said:

I haven't even been allowed inside to accompany my wife to the interview. As she told me the last time she was there she just looked up at the person in the window and they didn't want to see any documents or anything. It was over before it had even begun. But I wasn't allowed inside at all.

No, it's always only her. Makes sense if you think about it.

She was put out before she even fronted up. You might rethink your plans to take her.

Maybe something in her past?

Your relationship started and has continued in bangkok? Are you living in Nakon Nowhere?

Let it go...

And yet, there are those on this forum complaining about how cumbersome it is to apply for a Thai visa. In my opinion, a lot of the staff working in the embassies are prejudiced against Asians. Could be because they preferred a posting to another western country instead of Thailand.

• Haha 1

Just now, SeaMike01 said:

My wife's history in terms of 'criminal record' is spotless, for sure. I've known her for years and I know exactly who she was with before. (A Thai guy now deceased due to one of those new strains of tuberculosis.) She was never a bar girl and has only worked in her sister's Rangsit village, and for the past 7 years, in well-known Thai corporations. Although I can't say what the problem is, I don't think that's it.

No, not criminal. Has she ever had an American bf? Possible she's applied before?

Sounds like she probably dressed appropriately but at same time also sounds like the decision was made on her before she even made it to the window.

At this point it could be just a battle against all the negatives. Perhaps a battle against all of the visa denials.

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

And yet, there are those on this forum complaining about how cumbersome it is to apply for a Thai visa. In my opinion, a lot of the staff working in the embassies are prejudiced against Asians. Could be because they preferred a posting to another western country instead of Thailand.

It's not even close to being the same thing. Apples and oranges. Sheesh...

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

It is very easy to get a visa for your Thai wife. Get a marriage visa. All she has to bring to the appointment is your original passport. We did it. It was easy. She got a 10 year, multiple entry visa. 

We were previously turned down for a student and a tourist visa. Once we were married, and she applied for the spousal visa, it was easy. She has been back to the US at least five time, and we never had a problem. Same with Mexico. 

I can't get a K-1 marriage visa because we married in Thailand. I can apply for a K-3 visa, but that will take many months (19 months, evidently) and we wouldn't be able to go back together for my father's memorial service. That's probably our next step, but it doesn't solve the current problem.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, SeaMike01 said:

I can't get a K-1 marriage visa because we married in Thailand. I can apply for a K-3 visa, but that will take many months (19 months, evidently) and we wouldn't be able to go back together for my father's memorial service. That's probably our next step, but it doesn't solve the current problem.

I believe it is called a CR-1 Visa for a spouse, as that was what my now ex-wife was given here in Thailand.  Now we had only been married for 14 months at the time that she was approved and it had taken 12 months after applying, but this was back in 2012 when I applied.  A friend who has been married for 3 years and lives in the US has been trying for the better part of two years to get his wife to the US.  He just found out yesterday that she will be scheduled for an interview but this is only after she obtains the Police Clearance from the RTP HQ here not to far from the embassy.  He is hoping that she can get her interview and be in the US by Christmas, which will be 27 months since he applied.  Another friend is doing a Fiancé visa application for his GF and it was accepted for processing in August of 2021, here he is 13 months later and it is still in the initial processing.  He checked on line with the USCIS system and he has to wait until after January of 2023 before he can ask for them to check on it's processing status.  He was told it is taking between 19 and 21 months before the USCIS is processing it through to the NVC for the next steps. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

His wife will be the only one allowed into the embassy on the date for the interview.  He can not attend at all. This changed many many years ago.

Wow, really?  I guess I'm out-of-date.  That's interesting.  It seems, then, that they did indeed dislike the American answering all the questions, to the point of making it impossible.  And I guess two decades plus is "many many years ago."  Maybe you're a bit younger.

51 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

My wife successfully applied for a B2 visa for the US four years ago for the purpose of accompanying our daughter to start at her university.

During the interview, the consular official did not ask any questions about my wife's finances, property or anything else about her and did not wish to see any of her documents. The questions she was asked were all about my situation in Thailand such as how long I had lived here, for whom I worked and the like. She was asked to present my passport, but did not have it with her. 

It seems to me that the main consideration will be how strong the US citizen spouse's ties are to Thailand.

This is spot on. I have actually been successful obtaining two 10 year B-2 tourist visas here in Bangkok for 2 different wives 10 years apart. All the time I have been living in Thailand on marriage/retirement visas. I was not allowed in the last interview (I was in the first one nearly 15 years ago). Most of the questions were about my living status in Thailand - not hers. Once they conclude that I have been a Thailand resident an have no intention of moving and living back in the US - the Visa is issued no problem. 

Also do not bother using an agency for the B-2 visa as there is nothing more they can do for you than you can do on your own. It is a complete waste of money.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SeaMike01 said:

We got married in Thailand. That was never an issue. Got the spousal visa easily, on our first try. 

21 hours ago, SeaMike01 said:

Wait!

So now you're talking about K visas?? They were perhaps correct all along.

Why is it so important for your wife to be with you to pay respects to a father long past, see a step father ... and meet your mother? Answer... Not very.

I think you should have done a trip like 50 relatives and 50% sightseeing.

Especially with this comment just sounds like you want to cut the line. True or not.

A K visa so your foreign wife of a few years can visit one parent. Meanwhile, been already rejected twice. No domestic sightseeing plans in US.

Ermm... Maybe NO

Edited by BonMot

I think this thread is getting bent around the axles regarding definitions.

B1/B2 are non immigrant tourist visas. These are processed solely at the embassy

K1/K3 visa's are temporary entry visa's with the intension of unmarried couples marrying within 90 days to achieve immigrant status. These are processed by USCIS and after marriage in the US an adjustment of status is applied for to grant permanent residency and a conditional 2 year green card

IR1/CR1 are immigrant visa's. CR1 is for couples married overseas for <2years, IR1 for those married >2 years. These are also processed by USCIS. After approval the woman has a single entry visa stamped in the passport and a green card shows up in the mail approx 2 weeks after landing. For a CR1 the green card is a two year conditional, the IR1 a 10 year green card.

Anything processed by USCIS today is going to take around 12 months, and the only embassy involvement is the final interview, which is a formality.

The notion that being married to obtain a B1/B2 makes thing a slam dunk is misleading. For some it works great for others, for others not at all. There is no such thing as a 'spousal' tourist non immigrant visa, and the woman applies in her own right.

As I've stated non-immigrant visa's are highly subjective and you are very much subject to the whims of the embassy staff reviewing the application. 

Immigrant visa's are highly objective and USCIS simply processes the documents, and if no glaring errors or red flags, for example criminal background, they are a slam duck

Edited by GinBoy2

They say it's often just down to whether the consul has a positive or negative impression of you.   

Also, and it's a stereotype, some Thais (and I say this as a Thai) have this weird habit of lying off the cuff about the most mundane seemingly unrelated issues (kind of the way some school children just make up stuff that they think the teacher wants to hear), and that's probably the cause of many rejections.    "My parents are farmers....   and then 5 minutes into the conversation.... my dad works in a factory..." (maybe true/maybe not, but you need to fill in the plot points).   

So the best approach... maybe advise her to be honest and more likeable?

On 9/6/2022 at 6:38 AM, spidermike007 said:

It is very easy to get a visa for your Thai wife. Get a marriage visa. All she has to bring to the appointment is your original passport. We did it. It was easy. She got a 10 year, multiple entry visa. 

We were previously turned down for a student and a tourist visa. Once we were married, and she applied for the spousal visa, it was easy. She has been back to the US at least five time, and we never had a problem. Same with Mexico. 

What was the elapsed time between application and receiving the visa? We did a fiance visa many years ago, and the interview occurred about 6 months after the application was submitted. At that time, fiance applications were being processed much faster than marriage  applications (approximately a 1 year wait).

I think the OP is looking for a visa that can be obtained relatively quickly, thus going down the tourist visa road, albeit with a very slim chance of arriving.

43 minutes ago, DrDave said:

What was the elapsed time between application and receiving the visa? We did a fiance visa many years ago, and the interview occurred about 6 months after the application was submitted. At that time, fiance applications were being processed much faster than marriage  applications (approximately a 1 year wait).

I think the OP is looking for a visa that can be obtained relatively quickly, thus going down the tourist visa road, albeit with a very slim chance of arriving.

We had the spousal visa in hand within 2 weeks. Very fast and easy process. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

We had the spousal visa in hand within 2 weeks. Very fast and easy process. 

Mike, you're misleading these folks.

There is no such thing as a spousal tourist visa.

A Thai national, married or otherwise applies for a tourist, non immigrant  B1/B2 visa on their own, and, is or isn't approved on their own merits.

Doesn't matter if they are married to a US citizen, single, or married to a Mongolian.

Some folks, and you are one of them are fortunate and the initial B1 is approved without a problem, and after that you are off to the races.

But being married is no guarantee of a successful B1 application as many on here will attest to.

You are confusing folks.

Non immigrant tourist visa's it's the tourist who applies

Immigrant visa's it's US citizen who applies for the foreign national

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Mike, you're misleading these folks.

There is no such thing as a spousal tourist visa.

A Thai national, married or otherwise applies for a tourist, non immigrant  B1/B2 visa on their own, and, is or isn't approved on their own merits.

Doesn't matter if they are married to a US citizen, single, or married to a Mongolian.

Some folks, and you are one of them are fortunate and the initial B1 is approved without a problem, and after that you are off to the races.

But being married is no guarantee of a successful B1 application as many on here will attest to.

You are confusing folks.

Non immigrant tourist visa's it's the tourist who applies

Immigrant visa's it's US citizen who applies for the foreign national

Well, I am not sure of the category of visa we got. I do not think it is a tourist visa. We were able to get it only after being married. My wife applied. I did not. 

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, I am not sure of the category of visa we got. I do not think it is a tourist visa. We were able to get it only after being married. My wife applied. I did not. 

I suspect it is a 10 year multi entry visa that allows limited stays (often up to six months) at entry.  It is a tourist type visa and available to those that are considered not to pose excessive overstay threat.  Marriage might help if spouse has strong reasons not to return to USA (work overseas or such - but it can also be a negative if feeling is conveyed that it being used to shortcut the normal immigrant visa process.

45 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I suspect it is a 10 year multi entry visa that allows limited stays (often up to six months) at entry.  It is a tourist type visa and available to those that are considered not to pose excessive overstay threat.  Marriage might help if spouse has strong reasons not to return to USA (work overseas or such - but it can also be a negative if feeling is conveyed that it being used to shortcut the normal immigrant visa process.

I think you are spot on. It was suggested that my wife brings my original passport with her, by a friend. That is about all they asked for. They studied it for 5 minutes. The fact that I have been visiting the US twice a year for many years likely helped, as it showed a pattern and desire to return to Thailand. It was a 10 year multiple entry. And we were told she was not supposed to stay for longer than 90 days per visit, which suits us perfectly. 

19 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

That is often what the CO thinks with a married Thai.

The couple get to the US then apply for an adjustment of status in the US, which as you rightly say bypasses the regular immigrant process.

Since the married spouse is in the US and an application is made cannot be deported.

Thats what they worry about

On 9/6/2022 at 6:40 PM, BonMot said:

No, not criminal. Has she ever had an American bf? Possible she's applied before?

Sounds like she probably dressed appropriately but at same time also sounds like the decision was made on her before she even made it to the window.

At this point it could be just a battle against all the negatives. Perhaps a battle against all of the visa denials.

No, my wife has never had another American boyfriend. She has applied only the two times I've mentioned. She dressed modestly and professionally both times. I do agree that the decision may have been made before she even made it to the window. Very disappointing, but we will try one more time.

9 minutes ago, SeaMike01 said:

No, my wife has never had another American boyfriend. She has applied only the two times I've mentioned. She dressed modestly and professionally both times. I do agree that the decision may have been made before she even made it to the window. Very disappointing, but we will try one more time.

A question for you?  Part of the visa process for applying for a spouse visa to the US or a Fiance visa is that a criminal back ground check is done on you the American Citizen.  On top of that they do check financials as you need to provide proof you can support the partner.  Could you have possibly had something pop up on you?  Is this wife the first and only one you have sponsored to obtain a visa to the US.  I know these are personal questions, but one never knows and will ot be told what transpired as to why there was a denial. 

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A question for you?  Part of the visa process for applying for a spouse visa to the US or a Fiance visa is that a criminal back ground check is done on you the American Citizen.  On top of that they do check financials as you need to provide proof you can support the partner.  Could you have possibly had something pop up on you?  Is this wife the first and only one you have sponsored to obtain a visa to the US.  I know these are personal questions, but one never knows and will ot be told what transpired as to why there was a denial. 

Well, I can answer some of those questions and the OP can chime in.

For a non immigrant tourist visa (B1/B2) there is NO sponsorship by the US citizen.

I can't say this enough, but the Thai citizen is applying in their own right and needs to provide enough evidence of work, family, financial of their own to prove to the CO they will return to Thailand. The CO will ignore any financial information from the US citizen, the money needs to the Thai citizens own funds.

There is no criminal background check for tourist visas. The applicant simply states on the form they they are squeaky clean.

For immigrant visas K1/K3/CR1/IR1, thats where the US citizen is the applicant petitioning for the Thai citizen.

For those cases the applicant, the US citizen needs to provide financial records to prove they have income, or resources to support the Thai citizen at I think, it might have changed but with income at least 125% of the poverty level. Three years of tax transcripts as I recall plus bank accounts real estate assets etc

As for criminal background, the Thai citizen has to obtain a certificate from Thai Special Branch, which is different from what Thai's need to travel for work.

The US citizen does not need to provide any background check

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well, I can answer some of those questions and the OP can chime in.

For a non immigrant tourist visa (B1/B2) there is NO sponsorship by the US citizen.

I can't say this enough, but the Thai citizen is applying in their own right and needs to provide enough evidence of work, family, financial of their own to prove to the CO they will return to Thailand. The CO will ignore any financial information from the US citizen, the money needs to the Thai citizens own funds.

There is no criminal background check for tourist visas. The applicant simply states on the form they they are squeaky clean.

For immigrant visas K1/K3/CR1/IR1, thats where the US citizen is the applicant petitioning for the Thai citizen.

For those cases the applicant, the US citizen needs to provide financial records to prove they have income, or resources to support the Thai citizen at I think, it might have changed but with income at least 125% of the poverty level. Three years of tax transcripts as I recall plus bank accounts real estate assets etc

As for criminal background, the Thai citizen has to obtain a certificate from Thai Special Branch, which is different from what Thai's need to travel for work.

The US citizen does not need to provide any background check

I misread his post, sorry for that, which makes all of my questions actually moot.  Thought he had applied for a CR1 or K-1 and was denied.  Having done the visa for my now ex-wife years ago, all of what I wrote is correct if applying as a sponsor.....

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I misread his post, sorry for that, which makes all of my questions actually moot.  Thought he had applied for a CR1 or K-1 and was denied.  Having done the visa for my now ex-wife years ago, all of what I wrote is correct if applying as a sponsor.....

Don't worry I think the whole thread has become a little 'confused'

At the end of the day I think the OP is experiencing the usual high failure rate for Thai women applying for US tourist visas.

The reasons for those failures, who can tell.

Unlike the Brits and others, we don't get any written reason why, so you keep trying until it works I guess.

Before we were married and my wife ended up with a green card here in the US, we tried to get her a tourist visa to visit my daughter who had just had a baby.

Professional woman, she had her own money, letter giving her leave from work, of course she was denied. 

We never tried for a tourist visa again, just wasn't prepared to line the US Government pockets with more wasted money

I'v speculated that since my wife grew up as a teenager and went to college in the US, they considered it would be too easy for her to disappear into US society. But at the end of the day, who knows, and water long under the bridge at this point

• Like 1

Just a follow-up regarding one point: I've been checking the U.S. embassy site almost daily because the appointment wait time (according to the web site) is down to two days. Having been declined twice for a B-2 visitor visa, my wife doesn't feel confident about preparing the documents and answering questions again. So she contacted a Thai visa agent who told her "there are no appointments available until next year". My gut reaction was that she's trying to "get the money! get the money!" as quickly as possible, hoping that the client doesn't realize that the wait time is low. For a moment I thought "maybe she knows something that I don't know".  I tried to post a question about it on a USA visa for Thais forum (owned by an agency) and they wouldn't post my question. So, what do you think? More visa agent B.S.? Has anyone had a positive result using an agent? I wonder if they're just declining so many applicants that the wait time has dwindled down to almost nothing.