NE: Hunt on for "cruel man" who shot and hurt family's pet dog that got out in the street

webfact

image.jpeg

Sanook Thai Caption: Why did you shoot the little (doggie)?

Sanook reported that social media in Khon Kaen, north eastern Thailand, was full of comment after a family's pet dog was shot in the street.

The assailant was carrying a rifle and riding a bicycle before he fled the scene. 

The dog - a five year old male of Thai breed by the name of Minion - got out when a delivery man arrived and the gate was opened, according to the owner.

But the owner admitted they often let the dog out in the morning.

Relatives in the house related how they heard barking and a shot.

The shot ripped into the dog's abdomen and upper leg and ruptured a lung.

Vets said that from now on the animal will only be able to hobble along on three legs.   

Chief of the Muang district police Pol Col Preecha Kengsakij said his men were actively seeking a tall, thin man aged about 30-40 who was carrying a rifle.

After studying CCTV he called the attack "brazen" and promised a quick arrest. 

Sanook did not mention anything about dog owners allowing their pets to run in the street, notes ASEAN NOW. They just posed the question as to who would shoot a "nong" calling the perpetrator cruel. 

While shooting an animal like this is deplorable and could attract a two year prison sentence, many people are fed up with irresponsible owners who let their dogs out to defecate in the street or bite people, suggests ASEAN NOW.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-09-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously nobody should shoot a nice and innocent pet dog.

But unfortunately many of those dogs are not so nice and innocent.

Obviously I don't know the specifics of this case. But I think we should be careful before we judge who is the bad guy in this scenario - and many similar scenarios like this.

25dreamstime_m_73287985.jpg.optimal.jpg

"Bad guys" injure and kill many more animals than animals injure or kill humans. I say, lock him up! ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Dogs love you unconditionally and forever, as long as you provide them with food and somewhere to stay and it doesn't matter what kind of person you are , they will always want to be by your side 

Actually, not to different to a Thai partner really .

Or a partner anywhere in the world...

I'm not sure how the law stands regarding the carrying of guns, let alone firing them in public, but I suspect this guy may be in quite a bit of trouble. At least the dog is alive. If he lost a back leg he'll be ok; losing a front leg will be more awkward.

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

This is really nothing to do with where anyone comes from .

Are you saying that dogs in Thailand have the right to attack foreigners because the dogs were born in Thailand ?

That's a rather extremist attitude to have 

I'm saying humans everywhere, wherever they come from, do not have the right to kill animals just for their convenience.

6 hours ago, rbkk said:

Does anyone have his contact details?

Its a despicable idea to want to find out where this dog is so you can finish off what the nutcase started.... ????

As someone who cares for animals I do not condone cruelty towards animals in any form.

They should be looked after and cared for by people who know how to look after animals and those who can afford to feed them and have the time to walk and exercise them.

No animal should be free to walk the streets, to cause accidents, cause annoyance so that nutcases with guns or Aseannow vigilantes are forced to deal with them in a cruel manner. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You have to remember that in Thailand dogs are first and foremost a burglar alarm, day and night. I personally think Thais, as a whole, have no compassion for the wellbeing of dogs. Easy enough to get another one.  

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Tell that to my Thai neighbour who came off her scooter trying to avoid a couple of soi dogs. She spent overnight in hospital recovering and still has the scars 3 years later. Or the other lady and her child who I stopped for who had a similar experience but no hospital visit.

Same place, same dogs, same owner who, of course denied the dogs were theirs.

It IS the Thai peoples turf and not the dogs.

Most soi dogs up here are smarter but after the same dogs keep going for my truck for so long, I try to run them down.

Now they are smarter and recognise the engine note and the truck and stay clear of me.

If I do hit one and the owner comes out ranting I will ask if it is his dog and if he says it is, I tell him that my insurance company will be calling on him to pay for the damage to my truck. His dog on the road, not under control and not on a lead, is his problem and not mine.

In a 6km stretch between our moo ban and the big village there musf be at least 60 dogs running free.

I have no problem with anyone retaliating against anything that hurts them or puts them in peril, as long they are not provoking the attack. That goes for soi dogs, snakes, tigers, alligators, and humans.  

What I do have a problem with is people who just lump all soi dogs together as dangerous pests and initiate the violence.

If you have 60 stray dogs in a 6km stretch, you have a lot more of a problem than just the dogs. You're living in an area with irresponsible humans.

Edited by billsmart
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

A rifle is rather strong way of dealing with soi dogs. I use a catapult with glass marbles when out cycling . Hit them once and they don't forget.

Where can we buy these catapult and glass marble? I am just protecting myself in case a growling dog charges at me.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, billsmart said:

I have no problem with anyone retaliating against anything that hurts them or puts them in peril, as long they are not provoking the attack. That goes for soi dogs, snakes, tigers, alligators, and humans.  

What I do have a problem with is people who just lump all soi dogs together as dangerous pests and initiate the violence.

If you have 60 stray dogs in a 6km stretch, you have a lot more of a problem than just the dogs. You're living in an area with irresponsible humans.

I know that the owners are irresponsible, but how do you change their attitude? 

How many times do you have to step over or around soi dogs outside of the 7/11s?

• Sad 1