International Driving Permit Requirements

stament

To save time and not go all the way to the main government driving centre I thought I would ask the question here as to what the requirements are.  I did see a post back from 2010 when I searched but it didn't seem to list all the documents that are required.

Has an members got one recently and can you adivse the cost and requirements.  This is for Chiang Mai.

Thanks in advance.

I just did one from here in the USA as my Thai license expired

pretty painless now & all done online to send photo, pay fee etc

I did mine here & it was sent to me quckily

https://international-permit.com/en-us/price.html

There is also this one which is cheaper but has to be done thru mail

https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html#overseas

Edited by mania
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mania said:

I just did one from here in the USA as my Thai license expired

pretty painless now & all done online to send photo, pay fee etc

I did mine here & it was sent to me quckily

https://international-permit.com/en-us/price.html

There is also this one which is cheaper but has to be done thru mail

https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html#overseas

What about the other way--if going back to the US, and my US state driving license has expired--can i get an IDP here, or use my Thai driver's license to rent a car in the US?

Hi Stament, 

Just did mine yesterday in CM.

Attached pic shows the requirements.

You need a copy of all the requested docs.

We did just that and were sent back because now they also need pink house address card. Which was not mentioned on their requirement sheet. LOL.

So you will need all the required paperwork PLUS pink house address card. 

From next week onwards you need to pre-book an appointment. No clue how that works.

Have fun. I took me 4 trips to the driving centre. Another officer and the rules change. 

Cheers

R'tje

PS. Pink card can be obtained for free at local amphor office. Bring passport and yellow book.

16624241996774942217217723764333.jpg

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Rsteeltje said:

We did just that and were sent back because now they also need pink house address card. Which was not mentioned on their requirement sheet. LOL.

So you will need all the required paperwork PLUS pink house address card. 

PS. Pink card can be obtained for free at local amphor office. Bring passport and yellow book.

Disregard this posting.  I was wondering about the requirements for renters, but now see that the question is addressed in the photo.

Edited by MrBrad
  • Haha 1

If you plan on driving a motorcycle and have a motorcycle endorsement on your idp and drivers license then it will be a lot easier. I did not have a motorcycle endorsement and I wanted both a driver license and motorcycle license so I went to CM Driving School in saraphi took a 3 day course for the motorcycle since I didn’t have an endorsement. And a for the car license I watched a 45 minute video, that was it for the car license.. They made sure all the paper work (certificate of residence, passport, idp including valid drivers license from my country, health certificate…anything else?? can’t remember) was in order before I went to the dlt in hangdong, the school changed me about 1000 or 2000฿? I don’t remember how much I paid it wasn’t much. Can’t remember what dlt charged me, it was a nominal amount, 200฿ for both?, it was a slow time of day there and I was out of there in about 20 minutes. Without a valid drivers license including idp then you’ll have to go through the entire routine. 

Edited by novacova