Bank Requirements for Non-O Based on Marriage

33 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

Just wanted to confirm on this: do I need to open my account at that branch to be able to get a letter of guarantee there? Because at the moment my plan is to open an account at another branch.

No.

Open account anywhere in Bangkok and CW branch will provide you with "bank letter" 

100 baht. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No.

Open account anywhere in Bangkok and CW branch will provide you with "bank letter" 

100 baht. 

That is such a relief! 

Honestly, I have been overwhelmed by all these bank requirements, and it's great to know that at least this part of the process will be simple enough. Thank you for your help!

Edited by EdwardM

1 minute ago, EdwardM said:

That is such a relief! 

Honestly, I have been overwhelmed by all these bank requirements, and it's great to know that at least this part of the process will be simple enough. Thank you for your help!

Haven't read your previous posts. 

So you don't have a Thai bank account currently.

How are you in Thailand.

Meaning visa exempt, tourist visa, ? 

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Haven't read your previous posts. 

So you don't have a Thai bank account currently.

How are you in Thailand.

Meaning visa exempt, tourist visa, ? 

I am on Tourist Visa but getting married with my to-be wife tomorrow. I will obtain Non-O next.

Does this change anything in your advice?

10 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

I am on Tourist Visa but getting married with my to-be wife tomorrow. I will obtain Non-O next.

Does this change anything in your advice?

To obtain the non O marriage you will require a Thai bank account with deposit of 400k.

In other words you require the account prior to obtaining the non O 

Do you have a Thai bank account? 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

To obtain the non O marriage you will require a Thai bank account with deposit of 400k.

In other words you require the account prior to obtaining the non O 

Do you have a Thai bank account? 

I don't have an account currently, which is why I came here for advice on how and where to open one. 

At the moment I feel like it will be difficult so I am considering using an agent to help open one, but it will not be the CW branch.

Once I have an account opened, I will wire in 400k through WISE, or transfer 400k from my wife's account into my newly opened account (since the advice here said they wouldn't check the source of the money).

Do you see anything that could go wrong with this plan? Also, I have to ask again, will I still be able to use the CW branch for the letter of guarantee and updated bankbook?

12 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

I don't have an account currently, which is why I came here for advice on how and where to open one. 

At the moment I feel like it will be difficult so I am considering using an agent to help open one, but it will not be the CW branch.

Once I have an account opened, I will wire in 400k through WISE, or transfer 400k from my wife's account into my newly opened account (since the advice here said they wouldn't check the source of the money).

Do you see anything that could go wrong with this plan? Also, I have to ask again, will I still be able to use the CW branch for the letter of guarantee and updated bankbook?

Your plan is fine.

Obtaining a non O marriage in Bangkok requires the 400k in bank account on day of application.

The added issue is that you require 15 days remaining on your permission of stay.

Keep in mind you have 2 avenues to obtain more time.

One is 30 day extension to your tourist visa and the other is 60 day extension to visit wife.

Some advice in thread is that you can open account with assistance from wife.

My recommendation is to use agent to facilitate this as it takes very little time. 

Approx cost 5k 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 10:13 PM, DrJack54 said:

Your plan is fine.

Obtaining a non O marriage in Bangkok requires the 400k in bank account on day of application.

The added issue is that you require 15 days remaining on your permission of stay.

Keep in mind you have 2 avenues to obtain more time.

One is 30 day extension to your tourist visa and the other is 60 day extension to visit wife.

Some advice in thread is that you can open account with assistance from wife.

My recommendation is to use agent to facilitate this as it takes very little time. 

Approx cost 5k 

I'd like to ask further about the 60 day extension to visit wife please. What is this extension called officially? So I can look for the requirements for it.

Also, if I end up needing more time to prepare for Non-O based on marriage by getting this 60 day wife visit extension, I can still apply for Non-O based on marriage afterward, is that correct?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Edited by EdwardM

8 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

I'd like to ask further about the 60 day extension to visit wife please. What is this extension called officially? So I can look for the requirements for it.

That is what it is called in the immigration order.

See number 24 here: https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=1890

9 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

Also, if I end up needing more time to prepare for Non-O based on marriage by getting this 60 day wife visit extension, I can still apply for Non-O based on marriage afterward, is that correct?

You could apply for a non-o visa or a one year extension based upon marriage after getting the 60 day extension.

• Like 1

Thank you Ubonjoe and DrJack.

The extension for wife visit is new to me. I was originally planning to go straight for Non-O based on marriage.

I might still be a little confused here, so I'd like to ask if my plan here is viable.

I plan to bring my wife to the US eventually, but her visa will take around 1 year to be approved and issued, so in the meantime I'll stay with her here in Bangkok.

I am currently on a Tourist Visa, which will expire on Oct 3.

Now that I'm officially married to my wife, we have the marriage certificate, by Wednesday this week I was planning to go to CW to change my TR visa to Non-O based on marriage. From my understanding, that would give me 90 days + 1 year of extended stay in Thailand while we wait for my wife's US immigrant visa.

However, after discovering about the wife visit extension here, I am now thinking of doing this:

1) Firstly, apply for the wife visit extension (60 days) - the process seems to be a lot simpler than Non-O

2) 15 days before the wife visit extension expires, apply for Non-O based on marriage and get additional 90 days + 1 year extension of stay

This way, I can have even more time in Thailand while we wait for my wife's US visa.

Is this a viable plan, or is it better I go straight to Non-O based on marriage? Is there any cause for any concern? The ultimate goal is to make sure I can stay with my wife for as long as it takes for her US visa to be approved.

Thank you!

10 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

Is this a viable plan, or is it better I go straight to Non-O based on marriage? Is there any cause for any concern? The ultimate goal is to make sure I can stay with my wife for as long as it takes for her US visa to be approved

Your plan is fine.

Also to apply for the non O you need 15+ days remaining on your current permission of stay so the 60 day extension to visit wife can provide extra time to organize things.

The extension cost is 1900baht.

Aside: the way you type about non O and the 12 month extension....be aware the 12 month extension is separate application and no doubt you are aware of the financial requirements 2 months seasoning plus under consideration period.

After that you can use that money.

Re your wife and plan to go to USA be aware that of course you can apply for a 12 month extension every year.

It's an ongoing process that expats living here do every year. 

Edited by DrJack54

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your plan is fine.

Also to apply for the non O you need 15+ days remaining on your current permission of stay so the 60 day extension to visit wife can provide extra time to organize things.

The extension cost is 1900baht.

Thank you! After taking a look at the requirements for wife visit extension, I have some questions but I'll make a new thread for it now. ????

5 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

Thank you! After taking a look at the requirements for wife visit extension, I have some questions but I'll make a new thread for it now. ????

Won't hurt as it's a common extension obtained by married folk.

First hand recent experience always a good thing. 

Include your immigration office in new thread. 

again, excuse this, for being off topic: annual 800k fixed deposit ahas come due at SCB. They offer .4% - and their max. term is 12 months. Insane (but normal for Thailand - guess who owns the majority of the banks equity).  Can you direct me to a resource that quotes multi year rates. ? That 1.1% quoted earlier sounds a bit more attractive. 2nd part of my question is, do deposits at banks like Land & House 'Bank' qualify for the Retirement Extension,?

Edited by paddypower
correction

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Aside: the way you type about non O and the 12 month extension....be aware the 12 month extension is separate application and no doubt you are aware of the financial requirements 2 months seasoning plus under consideration period.

After that you can use that money.

Re your wife and plan to go to USA be aware that of course you can apply for a 12 month extension every year.

It's an ongoing process that expats living here do every year. 

Correct, I am aware of the 2 months seasoning requirement for the Marriage extension. However, I'm now unsure if I understand all the nuances entirely and correctly, so let me please confirm my understanding:

- I cannot apply for the marriage extension without first being granted the Non-O visa

- So after having extended my TR visa for 60 more days based on wife visit, I should apply for a "change of visa type" to Non-O first

- The application of Non-O does not require the seasoning of money in the bank

- When the time comes for my marriage extension application, the money should have been properly seasoned 

Is my understanding correct?

Edited by EdwardM