Vaccine passport, dual nationality, different details

L0St

I haven't travelled since the covid lockdown started and hoped it would be all over by this point in time.

I have a THAILAND COVID-19 CERTIFICATE OF VACCINATION. Does that suffice to travel to neighbouring countries? Do you require two or three vaccinations to be considered fully vaccinated in SE asia?

I have dual nationality and would like to use a passport, which has diffferent nationality and obviously passport number to the vaccine certificate. Is it possible to get a second vaccine passport in Thailand?

Would greatly appreciate any advice or to hear first hand experience on how to fly with dual nationality.

You only need two covid vaccinations in most cases (only one in the case of Johnson & Johnson) to travel anywhere in the world, as far as I am aware.

You can approach the place where you got your vaccination certificate with that certificate and your two passports and apply for the certificate to be issued with your other passport.  In Thailand your vaccination information should be registered with the Ministry of Public Health (MOPH).  There is a Mor Prom app available which will allow you to request a new international vaccination certificate.  It would allow you to put in a different passport number (as I have done this) and probably also a different nationality.

The golden rules of passports:
1) always exit a country using the passport with which you entered it.
2) always use the passport of the country you are entering, if you have it.
3) always show only one passport to immigration officials.  Show the proper one that respects rules 1 and 2.
4) always show only one passport to airline check-in staff, according to rules 1 and 2.  If asked show the other passport as well to indicate that you can enter your destination country without a visa (as you have a passport from that country).

• Like 2

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will request the international vaccination certificate for my second passport. WIll I need a 2nd international vaccination certificate for my current passport to actually fly out of Thailand?

Golden rules of passports make good sense. Since I haven't travelled internationally during covid, who normally checks the international vaccination certificate? Immigration officer, airline staff and/or some health official?

To fly out of Thailand, the rules that apply will typically be that of the destination country and sometimes transit country although things are generally getting more lax.   

Use the Sherpa engine (available on many airline websites) to double check requirements.   For example this one...

https://www.koreanair.com/au/en/travel-update/covid19/map

I have the dual nationality/double passport issue as well, made even more fun by having one MorPhrom jab and two CDC card jabs and a different spelling of my Thai last name on my two passports.   So far it hasn't been an issue just using the CDC card as I haven't run into a country that REQUIRES the booster (and the ones that do, will usually accept a PCR test instead).  

• Like 1

As for who checks, on my recent trips to the US, as well as the other way to Denmark, Iceland, Austria....  it's been the counter staff and then NO one asked again during the whole trip.   On the way back, it was just a glance at the Thailand Pass (when that was a thing), and sometimes not even that.   

• Like 1

Last month I flew from Manila to Bangkok to Samui and then Samui to Bangkok to Rome via Abu Dhabi. Not once in any part of any of it was there any discussion of Covid or vaccines or even masks, except apparently masks were required in the Abu Dhabi terminal, but only about half the people seemed to notice that one. Otherwise it was 100% pre-Covid. Nobody cares any more. Outside of China and HK, Covid is as relevant to international travel as the bubonic plague.

Edited by jasonsamui55

On 9/7/2022 at 9:20 PM, L0St said:

I have dual nationality and would like to use a passport, which has diffferent nationality and obviously passport number to the vaccine certificate. Is it possible to get a second vaccine passport in Thailand?

Same here. I am going to the UK and Italy. I didn't know they asked for a Vaccine Passport any more. 

I don't want to use my Thai passport in Europe. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I just read this reply. I was given a vaccine passport for only ONE passport of my choosing which didn't have to match the original passport.

I flew to Laos, who apparently still needed a vaccine passport, but the only time I showed anyone was during check-in with airasia and on arrivial in Laos no-one asked for it and I didn't see anyone else with a little yellow book either.

I should have waited to see if they asked for it during check-in, but had just presumed it was.

On the return back here by land, they did ask for it and put a nice little sticker on my passport.