Advice sought re 'self-destructing' eyeglass lenses

Toolong

Hi to anyone reading this. Hope to tap successfully into the great, bottomless mine of knowledge & experience amongst you all!

I wear glasses due to being short-sighted. 

Got a problem:

The last 2 pairs of glasses I bought in Thailand (each pair costing around 5/6 thousand baht & bought in 2 different, fairly swanky places in Central Ladprao, Bangkok) have both let me down badly having the same problem with the lenses. After about 7 or 8 months, the lenses just started deteriorating in the same way, which I can best describe as sort of becoming clouded over with tiny, tiny cracks & flakiness, until I can barely see anything through them. 

When I say cracks, I don't mean the lens body cracking, just what seems like the surface film. It's as if the lens was sprayed on as a film and then dried out!

Has anyone reading this experienced this same thing? 

I didn't return to the shops and enquire or complain, though I know I should have. I no longer can anyway, as I now live in Korat province.

My concern is that whatever shop I go to locally (Pakchong) for my next, much-needed glasses, I'll be getting the same problem, and whatever assurances they give me that it won't happen with THEIR glasses, I won't be inclined to believe it! Is it just the cr*p quality of modern lenses? (I have an old pair of UK National Health Service glasses from 1979 with glass lenses that don't have a mark in them!)

So, does anyone know..... a) why these  lenses in Thailand die on me so quickly? And b) what I can do about being sure my next pair won't have the same problem? Is there a more expensive, longer-lasting material I should be asking for? (I don't mind paying more to definitely avoid this problem.)

Would appreciate any advice. (If anyone does reply, please note that I may take a little time responding to you, though I will eventually!)

Cheers. 

Have had same issue for years even when purchasing hi-density Ziess lenses. ( Not cheap). 

My theory is how they are cleaned. Expensive optician a number of years made me buy the Ziess cleaning cloths. His comment was the Supermarket use once cleaners shouldn't be used regularly due to the abrasiveness of the material.

Mine are beginning to etch, so will need to consider a new set soon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think that happens to all coated lenses are some time. I think with my glasses it happened after a couple of years. 

Agreed - even happens eventually to really high quality lenses.

I had a pair of photochromic vari-focals from Rodenstock with anti-scratch coating.  Excellent lenses but the coating did start to degrade after a couple of years and they eventually became unusable.

I was advised to only use liquid baby soap for cleaning, which I did.  I asked about using impregnated lens tissues, as you would probably use on camera lenses, and was advised against this because it would degrade the coating!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Not saying it will work but there is a cream you can buy to take scratches out of watch glass. It is called PolyWatch and is available on Lazada.

Thanks Photoguy21,

I will look into the scratch cream angle. Interesting. I have 'kind of' tried to see if it's a removable scrtaches thing  but maybe I didn't go about it properly. If I can just sort it out this way, that would be really, really cool. Fingers crossed! ????????

30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How do you clean your lenses?

Maybe you use the wrong cloth or maybe you use some fluid which you shouldn't use for those lenses.

I think that happens to all coated lenses are some time. I think with my glasses it happened after a couple of years. 

Actually OneMoreFarang, I tried to clean as little as possible for fear of scratching & so on, but when I did it was just mild hand soap, water & tissue to gently dry. 

You say 'coated'. Interesting. So if the coating starts breaking up, and maybe if I remove all that coating, I wonder if that might work out positively somehow?! 

We'll see! Thanks for the info'! ????????????

32 minutes ago, RayWright said:

Have had same issue for years even when purchasing hi-density Ziess lenses. ( Not cheap). 

My theory is how they are cleaned. Expensive optician a number of years made me buy the Ziess cleaning cloths. His comment was the Supermarket use once cleaners shouldn't be used regularly due to the abrasiveness of the material.

Mine are beginning to etch, so will need to consider a new set soon. 

Interesting. I've generally just used mild hand soap & water, very gently! And as infrequently as possible too. 

But if you're right about needing to use only the proper kit, then maybe that wasn't ideal! Oh dear! ????

Thanks for the info Ray! ????????

35 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Agreed - even happens eventually to really high quality lenses.

I had a pair of photochromic vari-focals from Rodenstock with anti-scratch coating.  Excellent lenses but the coating did start to degrade after a couple of years and they eventually became unusable.

I was advised to only use liquid baby soap for cleaning, which I did.  I asked about using impregnated lens tissues, as you would probably use on camera lenses, and was advised against this because it would degrade the coating!

Wow! Talk about 'built-in obsalescence'! (I may not have spelt that right!)

12 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I had that problem with a series of sets of glasses, all bought from "upmarket establishments". After two years the coating deteriorates.

My last pair ( nearly two years old now) I specified no coatings - they are fine.

Interesting, herfiehandbag.

If my glasses are very nearly unusable anyway......wonder what will happen if I attempt to remove what's left of the rotten 'coating' ? ????

Thanks for the info, herfie!! ????????

4 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Interesting, herfiehandbag.

If my glasses are very nearly unusable anyway......wonder what will happen if I attempt to remove what's left of the rotten 'coating' ? ????

Thanks for the info, herfie!! ????????

i tried with ethanol, acetone, detergent, nothing worked

@ToolongI think you should spend some time to research different type of lenses, coating options, etc.

The most expensive glasses might not be best for you.

I just looked at YouTube and I found this video about different lense materials. I am sure there are many more videos about coating, etc. And probably some more videos about how to clean lenses.

Watch for an hour and you will know much better what you need and what you want.

this thread may be of some use to you. a couple of online places are mentioned. I've not used them yet because the super-duper progressive lenses I bought in Australia about 17 years ago are still going stronk. 

I also use hand soap and water and lightly pat them dry with a tissue. 

Just buy the cheapest glasses at lotus or so. No problems with defect coating. Last years.

I once bought some expensive glasses in Thailand and they quickly became like you describe. Maybe I just used wrong tissue to clean them.

Edited by martin81

2 hours ago, Toolong said:

After about 7 or 8 months, the lenses just started deteriorating in the same way, which I can best describe as sort of becoming clouded over with tiny, tiny cracks & flakiness, until I can barely see anything through them. 

The problem is the coating, which is soft.

I wear progressive lenses for the past 25 years, and also always had that problem, until I went to first optic in Pattaya who explained this to me.

The last 2 sets are Hoya, cost less than 4000 baht a set, are made from a very hard material, and have now coatings at all.

First set I had for 4 years, after I decided to change because my eyes had changed, and the current set is 3,5 years. Never noticed a scratch on either of them.

30 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

I wear progressive lenses for the past 25 years, and also always had that problem, until I went to first optic in Pattaya who explained this to me.

The last 2 sets are Hoya, cost less than 4000 baht a set, are made from a very hard material, and have now coatings at all.

First set I had for 4 years, after I decided to change because my eyes had changed, and the current set is 3,5 years. Never noticed a scratch on either of them.

Interesting, Peter, interesting. Your comments are noted! ????????

43 minutes ago, martin81 said:

Just buy the cheapest glasses at lotus or so. No problems with defect coating. Last years.

I once bought some expensive glasses in Thailand and they quickly became like you describe. Maybe I just used wrong tissue to clean them.

Lotus? ???? 

I am NOT ridiculing you or your comment, Martin, honestly.

I think I know what you mean. One of the eye places within the Lotus complex, right? 

Just had visions of eye charts & so on halfway down the canned food aisle that kind of tickled me! ????

But anyway......you really could be right, seriously. Might be best to try 'cheap & cheerful'! ????Thanks, man. ????

56 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

this thread may be of some use to you. a couple of online places are mentioned. I've not used them yet because the super-duper progressive lenses I bought in Australia about 17 years ago are still going stronk. 

I also use hand soap and water and lightly pat them dry with a tissue. 

I will definitely check this out, Lemsta69. It looks like I'm getting very useful info here. 

Certainly eye-opening (no pun intended!). 

The lenses these days seem like a  bit of a con, don't they? 

Thanks for the link! ????????????

51 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

I usually get a high index thin lens. You have to get the coating. One time I asked for it without coating and it still came with the cheap anti-reflective coating.

I think they do that so it flakes after a year and you need to buy lenses again.

Edited by JimTripper

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

I usually get a high index thin lens. You have to get the coating. One time I asked for it without coating and it still came with the cheap ar coating.

I think they do thst so it flakes aftrr a year and you need to buy lenses again.

Yes, I suspect you are right about glasses being designed to fail so soon, requiring another pay out for more glasses. Big scam? Maybe. 

Cheers, Jim. ????

• Like 1