Advice sought re 'self-destructing' eyeglass lenses

Toolong

Was interested when seeing this subject. I have had the same issue with the last two pairs purchased in Thailand. Very strange sort of waviness appeared on the lenses. Not really visible unless you had the right light and angle. First noticeable due to the the lenses becoming less and less effective at providing correction. At first I thought maybe my eyesight was deteriorating.

Eventually, when overseas, I had my eyes checked and my vision actually showed a slight improvement. By this time, I had identified the strange condition of the surface of the lenses, so I was purchasing a replacement pair. I showed the lenses to the optician, tilting them under the right light until she saw something. She said she had never seen this before, but agreed that it appeared to be related to the coating.

Haven't had such an issue previously (many purchased in Thailand), and have not seen it in the most recent replacement purchased overseas (3 years on). I'll try a different shop in Thailand the next time I need a pair over there (although hey probably all get sent to the same lens provider anyway). 

Perspiration seems to be pretty hard on the protective coating. For the last several years I have tried using an older pair of glasses when doing strenuous outdoor activity including exercising. By doing this, along with washing lenses with mild dish washing liquid, blotting dry with clean cotton towel, and then final wiping with microfiber cloth, I have managed to keep my Essilor Varilux lenses in remarkably good shape for 4+ years. There is no clouding or scratching. There is very very minor weathering of the protective coating around the bottom and the nose bridge edges of the lenses which I suspect is perspiration related. The rapid deterioration of the protective coating the OP describes sounds like something other than top quality materials were used. I would not advocate skipping the protective coating (as tempting as this might be) because of the UV exposure in Thailand.

I’ve just been using tissues and methylated spirits (denatured alcohol) on my prescription glasses, including sunglasses and photochromics, for many years. I know this is the wrong way to clean glasses, and that tissues are supposed to be abrasive, but they’re all still fine, except for the odd scratch where I’ve dropped a pair. As my eyes change very little, some of the glasses are very old. I must just be lucky.

12 hours ago, Toolong said:
13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Will enquire about that, KannikaP!

Thanks a lot. ????????????

From Zenni Optical Tues 6 SEP:

do you ship to thailand

At this time, we are not shipping to Thailand, however, please check back later as carriers may pause certain destinations temporarily based on the reliability of delivery..

I would think that the problem is related to the heat and humidity in Thailand.

I never had a problem with my lenses at home, but then in Thailand, the lenses will start showing deterioration of the coating after 1.5 to 2 years of being in this weather here. farangs are used to ask for the works when ordering lenses, including the more sensitive coatings. Optics shop here may know very little about this.

If coated lenses are put in high heat, such as steam, the coating will crack up right away, as if it would shrink and wrinkle.

Now that has nothing to do with cleaners and cloth used. I always use water, a soft cleaner, and my fingers to clean my lenses, and I dry them by blowing the water off. No tissue, no cloth. But heat here will will destroy the coating.

Even TV screens and computer monitors will deteriorate here more quickly than at home. More years of use, but the heat will get to screens also.

Check the motorbike plastic covers for the odometers in Thailand, after so many years...

The heat, the humidity...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Tissues? NO! Tissues are bad for your sensitive lenses.

And about the coating: You pay extra for the coating. If you don't want it, then just buy plain glass lenses.

No tissues? Wow. That seems hard to figure somehow, but then I also don't doubt you're right. I wish I had known that long ago! I'm learning a lot on this thread! Thanks. ????

And the coating: what's the coating actually for? Certainly will specify NO coating next time.

2 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

I would think that the problem is related to the heat and humidity in Thailand.

I never had a problem with my lenses at home, but then in Thailand, the lenses will start showing deterioration of the coating after 1.5 to 2 years of being in this weather here. farangs are used to ask for the works when ordering lenses, including the more sensitive coatings. Optics shop here may know very little about this.

If coated lenses are put in high heat, such as steam, the coating will crack up right away, as if it would shrink and wrinkle.

Now that has nothing to do with cleaners and cloth used. I always use water, a soft cleaner, and my fingers to clean my lenses, and I dry them by blowing the water off. No tissue, no cloth. But heat here will will destroy the coating.

Even TV screens and computer monitors will deteriorate here more quickly than at home. More years of use, but the heat will get to screens also.

Check the motorbike plastic covers for the odometers in Thailand, after so many years...

The heat, the humidity...

Yes!!! This seems to explain everything, Andre.....thank you. ????

You're right about computer screens having the same problem. Recently had the throw away a monitor that looked exactly like my crinkled lenses! So what you say fits with my experience.

So....I should insist on NO coating, right? 

I must ask: what's the coating for exactly? What's the reason for having a coating? 

2 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Yes!!! This seems to explain everything, Andre.....thank you. ????

You're right about computer screens having the same problem. Recently had the throw away a monitor that looked exactly like my crinkled lenses! So what you say fits with my experience.

So....I should insist on NO coating, right? 

I must ask: what's the coating for exactly? What's the reason for having a coating? 

Anti-glare, anti-scratch and blue for computer use.

46 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

I’ve just been using tissues and methylated spirits (denatured alcohol) on my prescription glasses, including sunglasses and photochromics, for many years. I know this is the wrong way to clean glasses, and that tissues are supposed to be abrasive, but they’re all still fine, except for the odd scratch where I’ve dropped a pair. As my eyes change very little, some of the glasses are very old. I must just be lucky.

So far, Cygnus, I have learned from others on this thread that 'coatings' on the lenses can deteriorate. Maybe your lenses don't have the problematic coatings? ????

Varilux by Essilor, bought from KT Optic in P'lok. 5 years old and the coatings are still perfect, even after all the sunshine and humidity, and cleaning with normal hand soap and bog paper. They were Bht 16000 for the two lenses. You get what you pay for I guess.

I will try that, sead. I really have nothing to lose by giving it a go with the kind of cream polish you mention. ????

It used to be said to use toothpaste to get rid of scratches.    IT DOESN 'T WORK. 

Just now, KannikaP said:

Varilux by Essilor, bought from KT Optic in P'lok. 5 years old and the coatings are still perfect, even after all the sunshine and humidity, and cleaning with normal hand soap and bog paper. They were Bht 16000 for the two lenses. You get what you pay for I guess.

16,000? Wow. That is a bit pricey, but like you say, you get what you pay for. (Usually!)

So far on this thread I am getting a strong indication that the 'coatings' can be the problem. I may try and go for glasses somewhat less expensive than yours, but without any coating. 

It very useful to know specific names like Varilux. I will enquire about that. And KT Optic. If they have branches near me I will give them a visit. 

Thanks KannikaP. ????

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Had an LG 42 inch LED TV for 8 years, and Samsung 28 inch PC monitor for 6. Both still perfect.

My Acer monitor was fine for at least 5 years.....but then suddenly it wasn't. Maybe Samsung does a better quality screen. ????

14 hours ago, Toolong said:

clouded over with tiny, tiny cracks & flakiness

What causes crazing on lenses?

Crazing can be caused by improper application of anti-reflective coating when eyeglasses are made in the lab. Crazing, or lens cloudiness that resembles crazing, also can be caused by:

• Cleaning your glasses with rubbing alcohol, window cleaner or another harsh household cleaner

• Extreme hot or cold weather that can cause the AR coating and the lenses to expand and contract 

• Wearing glasses while doing “hot” activities such as grilling, tending a campfire or welding

Crazing may suddenly appear on your lenses with no obvious cause. In these cases, the crazing may be related to a workmanship defect.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/eyeglasses/faq/what-is-crazing/

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It used to be said to use toothpaste to get rid of scratches.    IT DOESN 'T WORK. 

???? I think you're right. But I might still try very gently with a little dab of very creamy polish in a small area on one lens. Nothing to lose, as they are already so bad!

???? I think you're right. But I might still try very gently with a little dab of very creamy polish in a small area on one lens. Nothing to lose, as they are already so bad!

Or rub the toothpaste on some plain glass and see what happens.

23 minutes ago, Toolong said:

So far, Cygnus, I have learned from others on this thread that 'coatings' on the lenses can deteriorate. Maybe your lenses don't have the problematic coatings?

My computer glasses definitely do, as I remember ordering some kind of non reflective coating when I bought them a couple of years ago, but maybe that hasn’t been enough time for me to damage the coating? My photochromics are also only a couple of years old, don’t know if they work by some kind of coating. Have other much older polarised and non polarised sunglasses, no idea if they’re coated.

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

From Zenni Optical Tues 6 SEP:

do you ship to thailand

At this time, we are not shipping to Thailand, however, please check back later as carriers may pause certain destinations temporarily based on the reliability of delivery..

Had my last eyeglass shipment from Zenni to Thailand about six months ago.  The following is from their website:

https://ca.zennioptical.com/help/?a=Shipping-and-Returns-FAQ---id--y1agLQHsTCi9W-3Y8ykQoQ

I too wear glasses; graduated lenses, which I wear all the time except when swimming, golfing, driving, reading, surfing etc - I am short sighted.
I began wearing glasses in Australia in about 2005 and was advised at a quality chain in Oz called OPSM that they can fit me with cheaper lenses but advise strongly against this as the optical accuracy of the lenses are poor e.g. distortions in the curvatures at the point of manufacture and that they will deteriorate your eyes more quickly than high quality as near optically perfect shaped lenses e.g. Essilor. 

The rate at which rubbish lenses will increase the rate of degradation of sight is quite alarming just as poorly prescribed lenses do e.g. too strong or too weak, not balanced properly for each eye (many of us have eyes that are slightly weaker on one side and require careful testing to define and prescribe for).

I checked this stuff about poor quality lenses online, with other optometrists, and my GP back home before pulling the trigger on the Essilor lenses when I began to first wear glasses.

Cheap glasses are cheap for simple reasons; i.e. cheap poorly made frames, but most importantly poor quality lenses.

Theres also the issue of how you use your glasses e.g looking straight ahead like reading or peripheral vision needs such as driving sports etc - aspherical lenses and all that techo stuff.

There are only a few brands of lenses worth their salt; Essilor and Bausch & Lomb being two.

My advice is NEVER buy cheap lenses.

I have had glasses made here (but I usually get them made in Europe or back in Oz on visits). I did get some few pairs made at Paragon in BKK. I always get my eyes tested each year when I visit back to Oz as I know and trust my optometrist from good experience with her.

I can't remember the name of the salon in Paragon but they did a good job.

I did have recent OPSM prescription from Australia with me which they said was helpful.

Seeing as they are classed as a luxury import are a heap more expensive in LOS than I pay in Oz or Europe.

Many opticians here while reasonably trained will automatically offer cheaper lenses like Hoya, Canon etc which are not anywhere as good as the two I mention above as excellent optical quality lenses.

At the prices you quoted, I am not surprised that you are finding the breakdown of their efficiency happening so soon after being made.

I can't say for you, but there are varying periods of decline in our focal length i.e. some years its faster and others it slows or stops altogether and we need to hold objects further away to focus.

Long range isn't effected quite as starkly as trying to focus on a small object like threading a needle for example.

If you're finding blurriness at different distances short medium and long with your lenses it may be that your eyesight is deteriorating at a faster rate than you are renewing your lenses.

This is not necessarily something to be alarmed about. I was told as we go through periods of increases in focal length at different times in our lives as wearers.

But, to wear poor lenses that aren't 'set' for us is very bad for our eyes.

I for example don't have much increase in 'strength' of my new glasses for the last few years where in years before that I had increases of .25 in lens strength added for a few years in a row when I went to the optometrist. 

Good luck, and may you see clearly into your future.

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Toolong said:

Thanks Photoguy21,

I will look into the scratch cream angle. Interesting. I have 'kind of' tried to see if it's a removable scrtaches thing  but maybe I didn't go about it properly. If I can just sort it out this way, that would be really, really cool. Fingers crossed! ????????

Let me know how you get on