Getting Directions in Chiang Mai

FolkGuitar

On 9/12/2022 at 11:30 AM, Bill97 said:

Absurd.  Racist?

probably not, but they usually don't need maps--they can stop and ask other Thai for directions and understand what they are told==gps on phones, tablets, cars, is so prevalent--is failing to get clear directions in a foreign country really such a huge burden?

Every major shopping mall i have been in here and in bkk and pattaya, all have the floor maps near the escalators.

On 9/12/2022 at 4:40 PM, Sparktrader said:

Many women arent good at reading maps. People say its sexist but really some people are just better at certain things. Proven fact women multi task better than men.

Some people are too caught up in pc nonsense to recognise the reality.

Women multi-task better than men, possibly correct, results are usually border-line adequate at best.

Men usually focus on a singular task and in the words of Hillary "Knock the <deleted> off" 

On 9/13/2022 at 12:48 AM, soi3eddie said:

Never rely on anyone (Thai or otherwise) for directions. Google maps and advance research (streetview) is the key. Never have any problems with that and I often find some hidden gems of places by looking at maps.

How's that working for you INSIDE the supermarket or department store? Places where it is most common for people to ask staff for the location of an item?  Personally, I can use a printed map. I can use GoogleMap. But neither does me no good inside Warrarot Market, or any other large shopping venue, places where unless you shop there often, and not wanting to spend the extra time hunting around until you stumble upon your desired object, you're going to ask for directions... and usually get that vague wave of a hand indicating 45 degrees of compass arc... or bored look to go with the 'finished' comment.

• Like 2

“The best policy is to ask at least three different people--not within earshot of each other, of course--and see if at least two of them agree.  Unless you have some consensus, you're likely destined for the goose chase.”

agree with this previous comment. Done this for many years in many countries 

if I don’t get two out of three, I start over.