School director in Twitter lashing after taking the kids football pitch and putting in a golf course for his politico chums

webfact

image.jpeg

Sanook Thai Caption: School director likes a round of golf

Tweeters went atwittering on Redskullxxx after a tweet about a school director in Thailand who turned his kids' football pitch into a golf course.

He claimed it was for their benefit but it emerged that many political pals were trotting up for a round.

In addition damning photos have emerged of the director allegedly using child labor - students at his school - to pour cement for the golf course, reported Sanook.

The school has countered the allegations saying that children who want a game of football can play at other schools - there's an ideal place 2 kilometers away. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-09-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

ah so then it is ok to build a golf course at your school.  Be right on over, how much for a round mister school director?  Money where, oh put it in an envelope and leave it on your desk, gotcha....

Do you have any idea how much it costs to secure the position of School Director?

My daughter's old high school -  10 MOE were jailed for accepting 40 million baht from the Director. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

In addition damning photos have emerged of the director allegedly using child labor - students at his school - to pour cement for the golf course,

When I was in my early teens the school I attended needed a new sports changing room so they started an archeology class to dig the foundations.????

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Nothing "damning" about teaching children the value of manual labor.   The "damning" part of education in general, worldwide, is the focus on books over physical work.  Students get taught that work is demeaning.  A teacher I know who had just completed her education was hired due to her English superiority.  When asked to help clean her classroom, she refused, saying that's what janitors were hired for.

The school director who teaches the children to do practical work should be praised.

Perhaps he should have some children doing the cleaning around his house, the cooking and maybe a few to dance around some poles to get some practical work experience.

10 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Perhaps he should have some children doing the cleaning around his house, the cooking and maybe a few to dance around some poles to get some practical work experience.

Like Prayuts use of the military at his free base housing....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mrfill said:

"Dance around poles"...I would sincerely hope that each every single school child aspires to something more than that. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, newnative said:

Fire him.

He should be hired by this Governments Cabinet, he would fit in well with the watchman, the heroin smuggler, the chicken farmer, and the others.....it was not just the Thaksin's as people want to believe, the entire country is polluted with corruption.  Years ago I was hired under a foreign teacher quota for a school in the north and was hired to teach the other English instructors.  The day before I was to start at 45k a month, the Districts School director canceled my contract and hired his niece who had just graduated from the university and spoke some English.....you can guess how much she was paid and where the other money went.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The school has countered the allegations saying that children who want a game of football can play at other schools - there's an ideal place 2 kilometers away. 

Here is a school that does not give a damn about "political correctness."

6 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Nothing "damning" about teaching children the value of manual labor.   The "damning" part of education in general, worldwide, is the focus on books over physical work.  Students get taught that work is demeaning.  A teacher I know who had just completed her education was hired due to her English superiority.  When asked to help clean her classroom, she refused, saying that's what janitors were hired for.

The school director who teaches the children to do practical work should be praised.

Pouring concrete is hardly "practical work" at a school unless its a trade school.

12 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Pouring concrete is hardly "practical work" at a school unless its a trade school.

I will politely beg to differ.  I sure wish I had learned how to do concrete work.  I could really use such a skill here in Thailand.  Especially I wish I knew how to do masonry.

When I was in high school, not "a trade school," but a standard high school, I took classes in automechanics, small-engine repair, oxyacetylene welding/brazing and arc welding, home economics (sewing/cooking/etc.), and more, along with the standard courses in mathematics, history, social studies, biology, chemistry, physical education, etc.  And I have put those skills to good use.

If the Thai students only knew how to do concrete work properly, they might know how to prevent their walls and floors from cracking due to poor construction practices.  They might know how to hold their builders accountable for the quality of the concrete delivered to their home construction projects and for its proper reinforcement, underlayment, vibration and troweling.  Seeing as concrete is such an ubiquitous product in this country, it would be a valuable skill to know how to work with it--even if you end up later hiring someone else to do the job.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I will politely beg to differ.  I sure wish I had learned how to do concrete work.  I could really use such a skill here in Thailand.  Especially I wish I knew how to do masonry.

When I was in high school, not "a trade school," but a standard high school, I took classes in automechanics, small-engine repair, oxyacetylene welding/brazing and arc welding, home economics (sewing/cooking/etc.), and more, along with the standard courses in mathematics, history, social studies, biology, chemistry, physical education, etc.  And I have put those skills to good use.

If the Thai students only knew how to do concrete work properly, they might know how to prevent their walls and floors from cracking due to poor construction practices.  They might know how to hold their builders accountable for the quality of the concrete delivered to their home construction projects and for its proper reinforcement, underlayment, vibration and troweling.  Seeing as concrete is such an ubiquitous product in this country, it would be a valuable skill to know how to work with it--even if you end up later hiring someone else to do the job.

Taking a class like you outline is a far cry from taking students and having them do concrete work as a laborer to build something unrelated to any acedemic studies.   

Teaching concrete work or other manual labor as part of a trade is completely different.

I suspect you elected to take those classes in school and\or they were part of the overall criteria of the school. Extremely different from what occurred in the school story. 

There is no reason why a football pitch and golf course cannot coexist. In Australia, I know several country golf courses that combine with a race course or cricket ground.

It does baffle me why concrete was poured for the golf course, unless that was a foundation for practice mats, which makes it a driving range, not a golf course.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Taking a class like you outline is a far cry from taking students and having them do concrete work as a laborer to build something unrelated to any acedemic studies.   

Teaching concrete work or other manual labor as part of a trade is completely different.

I suspect you elected to take those classes in school and\or they were part of the overall criteria of the school. Extremely different from what occurred in the school story. 

You're right, I did choose to take those classes.  However, perhaps I should also say that I worked while in school as well, on jobs to which I was assigned, including grounds, building maintenance, agricultural, janitorial, cafeteria, and other forms of labor.  These duties provided me with opportunities to use power tools, farm equipment (including driving the tractor), learn horticulture and arboriculture, learn how to do painting, plumbing, and more.  Sometimes we shoveled snow from sidewalks or did other "grunt work."  But these were necessary duties--someone needed to do them to keep operations running smoothly and in order.  Having had these responsibilities myself, I am far less tempted to look down on others who might do these duties for me now while I focus on other things for which my education has prepared me.  And I can always step in to assist with these "menial" tasks whenever necessary.

Please understand, though, that I'm not trying to excuse what happened in this story.  It does appear, from what we have been told, that the school's director had things other than the students' education in mind in giving them their assignments.  However, I believe that the students who are/were willing to learn, and who did not choose to take umbrage with the tasks given them, could have benefited by their extracurricular activities.  It's partly a matter of perspective.  In any case, learning to work, even under trying circumstances, is the lesser evil when compared against being pampered and never asked to lift a finger to assist in the more practical duties of life.