Multiple entry visa from immigration?

I just got back from the Royal Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur.  Picked up my 60 day tourist visa.

However the lady said, because I've been in and out of Thailand many times, I should apply for a multiple entry visa from immigration.

The only multiple entry visa I'm aware of is the METV which is only available (I believe) from my home country's embassy. I asked her to confirm she meant immigration inside Thailand and she said yes.

Anybody know what type of visa she might be talking about?

I don't have a clue as to what she was talking about.

Immigration does not issue any multiple entry visa. The will only issue a multiple re-entry permit for a long stay extension of stay.

Edit: Maybe she was talking about a Thai elite visa that is a multiped entry visa.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Thanks 1

Thanks ubonjoe, that's what I thought exactly.  And as far as I'm aware there are no long term visas available to me as a UK citizen outside of my home country and under 50.

Even the METV is only available if I'm back in the UK I think, is that right?

There are two points of confusion that arise here. The first is that many officials in Thai embassies and immigration offices call every sticker and stamp a "visa", possibly because it is easier to say "weezah" than "extension of permission to stay" or "re-entry permit". The second issue is that Thai embassies, in general, really do not understand what happens outside the services they provide themselves (including immigration procedures).

Obviously, at some point, staff at the KL embassy have been guided to tell visa applicants that they need to get a correct visa from immigration in Thailand. In some cases, this is kind of accurate. If you are over age 50, you can get a Non O visa (retirement) together with an extended permission to stay and multiple re-entry permit. That does effectively give you something like a multiple entry visa. Of course, the consular official you dealt with in KL does not understand any of this, and there are many people who do not qualify for a Non Immigrant visa and extension from Immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1