Cardio exercise after broken knee

Lorry

Hi Larry, I know how frustrating it can be when you're prevented from working out because of injury. One thing you could try which doesn't require much in the way of leg movement is to shadow box vigorously holding light dumbells. Or if you have access to a punch bag, use that instead (without the dumbells). Both methods will get your heart rate up I can assure you. It helps if you can flex your knees slightly but if you can't, you'll still get a good work out. Start with shorter durations of say a minute x 5, then work up to 90 seconds. Aim for full arm extensions as well. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doowat said:

Hi Larry, I know how frustrating it can be when you're prevented from working out because of injury. One thing you could try which doesn't require much in the way of leg movement is to shadow box vigorously holding light dumbells. Or if you have access to a punch bag, use that instead (without the dumbells). Both methods will get your heart rate up I can assure you. It helps if you can flex your knees slightly but if you can't, you'll still get a good work out. Start with shorter durations of say a minute x 5, then work up to 90 seconds. Aim for full arm extensions as well. Hope that helps.

Thx

Today I watched the Japanese guy I mentioned earlier doing exactly this,  and yes, it looked like a real workout. 

This thread gave me many ideas what I can do, thanks to all. 

You do sweat while swimming but you don't notice it. Nordic walking you may have seen. It's using the poles and is supposed to be very good for working many groups of muscles. Still looks a bit silly to me, but that's my problem, not theirs. It would also help with the knee.

Edited by Paradise Pete

I broke a knee years ago and it took a while to heal, but it did and I got back to jogging.

Now (much later) I do about 5 km Nordic Walking nearly everyday. Takes some of the pressure off my back and other knee scar tissue problems. 

There are videos on Nordic Walking if you search.

Because you use walking poles, by changing the height of the poles or where the poles hit the ground, you can change the muscle target group and stride length.

Because you use your arms, upper body and lower body, you are supposed to burn twice as many calories as normal walking.

There's also Aquaaerobics. Helps if you have a pool or your area pool has classes. There are hour sessions on YouTube channels and many free.

You can do HIIT Aqua and buy some water dumbells and a flotation belt for the deep end.

I find that 45 min Advanced Aqua with dumbells makes me sweat and gives a great workout.

Another thing you may check is that you don't have too much scar tissue growing around the knee. You would probably not have this with a broken knee. A good physio knows how to break this down.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, retiree said:

"In most cases, a broken kneecap is caused by a direct blow to the front of the knee from a car accident, sports or a fall onto concrete."

I am enlightened.  I guess not paying your bookie is also a common predisposing factor ???? 

--Retiree 

Mine was during a cricket match and hit on the pad with a fast bowl. Couldn't run after that and got a runner. After the game and I cooled down was when it really hurt, so off to the dr. and broken knee diagnosis, then leg in plaster for 6 weeks.

51 minutes ago, retiree said:

Can you guys possibly clarify what you mean by a "broken knee"? 

Thanks, Retiree

Closed comminuted fracture of tibial plateau, Schatzker VI, with a very long fracture from the joint down the diaphysis of the tibia.

Fibula not affected.

ORIF with plates and screws could not completely restore the cartilage, there is an area of about 2 cm2 where the tibia is not covered by cartilage anymore. There is also a small step in the articular surface.

This will lead to arthrosis, how serious and how fast is anybody's guess.

Sorry, I didn't want to get too technical. 

Edited by Lorry

3 minutes ago, retiree said:

Uhh, I may be sorry I asked:

Outcome of Schatzker type V and VI tibial plateau fractures

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5690716/ 

Must feel pretty sore when you ride a bicycle ????

-- Retiree 

I walk better than before,  that's what friends tell me (probably due to a lot of physical therapy). Myself, I feel walking is more tiring,  but 10000 - 15000 steps or a bit more are usually no problem, 

Riding a recumbent bike (a suggestion from here) with no load is very soothing for the knee.

Riding a bike with load can be done,  but it will hurt a bit. I tried to do it daily, but the knee got worse so I stopped.

Given this, I'd recommend a good quality (gym) elliptical machine for a good HIIT / cardio workout, i.e. 30-60 second repeats.   The big advantages are:

- extremely stable -- never entails a twisting motion,

- it's easy to redistribute and reduce single knee load by offsetting your feet and/or using more arm effort. 

Main disadvantage is just luck of the draw on machine design -- the effective stride length, rotation, and inertia of these things varies a lot, and not every machine has a natural-feeling motion (some are too bouncy, others too flat). 

Good luck, 

-- Retiree 

• Like 1