Viral “begpacker” photos from Pattaya Beach Road cause polarizing debate on social media

webfact

43 minutes ago, kennw said:

Like it or not it is against the law. So all those who say "so what" are encouraging law breakers.

Yes and no, er, sort of.  I know of another law that says "six days shalt thou labor and do all thy work," and in this law there is no indication of any prohibition against work except for on that "seventh day."  In fact, in another place, the Good Book says: "this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat." 

I find it, therefore, quite an indicator of our human condition when we create obstructions to the basic requirements of life, which includes making oneself useful to society in order to survive.  It's a shame that so many governments encourage a "welfare" state where people are expected to be supported without working, and where work may even become "against the law."

When I was 19, I backpacked across Europe for 8 months. I did not plan well and started running low on funds. I bought some coral necklaces in Italy and sold them in Holland. Also bought some gorgeous hand stamped brass platters in Morocco and sold them on the French Riviera. Made good money with it.

There are opportunities for enterprising young souls. I am not sure if allowing foreigners to sell junk on the sidewalks is a good idea. Just not sure. 

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Have to reconsider the idea of taking 300 baht off them on arrival, and reintroduce the check that they have at least 10,000 baht or 20,000 to help sustain themselves. 

The check for funds was always and still in place. These are the type of “tourists” it is aimed at. I am sure they clean up nicely to slip under the radar.

Either he doesn't know the exchange rate, or the 1 baht figure is wrong. Just to get some som tam from a street vendor he'd have to sell about everything sitting in front of him. Forget about getting a room for the night, even in a flop house.

What he is trying to do was a common method of travel in Medieval times and how a lot of small scale trading was done. A bit more difficult in the days of Lazada, Shoppee, Amazon, etc. Perhaps he should try his luck as crew on a tramp steamer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SGD said:

I have pretty harsh personal views about drugs and a simple mantra that I've never seen a hard drug user that didn't get their start on dope one way or another and I'm old enough to have seen lives utterly destroyed by both drug use and the desire to profit from it.

This experiment in Thailand is going to go horribly wrong and it could be seen from afar with certainty. Of course, the weed apologists will decry any such idea as nonsense but already you have what was Pattaya's natural expat for decades, the early through late retiree with the odd younger business guy replaced by tattooed wannabee gangsters who seem to have no desire for Thailand, the culture, not even the beaches or the women but who are here for the drugs and the nightlife and the easy money that comes from such a wasted life.

You will see more of them around Pattaya and if that drives people like me out, people who are not financially challenged, then Pattaya will suffer financially and be worse off in the end.

Your views on drugs is antiquated. Where are you " seeing " these drug addicts and did you go up to them and say " what did you start doing?" . The biggest " gateway"  to hard drugs is alcohol btw. Pattaya had losers 30, 20 and 10 years ago. Nothing is increasing. There are many states in the USA where pot is legally sold and the towns that have dispensaries are doing just fine. The tax $$ added to towns/states and jobs created are simply astounding and in the billions of dollars.  Jeez if you didn't see tattooed boomers in Pattaya years ago and still don't see them today you need new glasses. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Why? In reality he is breaking the Thai labour law.

Asking people to fund his pleasure of travelling around the world, when there are people not having food for the day. That´s just plain egoistic and lazy. Better for him to get deported, and go home make enough money to travel.

I always think it is hilarious when farang call for the deportation of other farang from Thailand.  Must you be reminded that you are a visitor here; you do not set Thai policy nor do you have any authority. Live and let live.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I think foreigners including the press should keep their nose out of this issue.

What people don't realize is that much of the charm of Thailand comes from the diversity of the people who are attracted to the country and its welcoming people. Not all of Thailand's mystery and charm is homegrown. Look at the way Khaosan road's 'crossroads of the world' charm has been obliterated in the process of cleaning it up. Who goes there any more? It's appeal these days seems to be largely nostalgic.

Get rid of all these so-called 'unwelcome' elements and what are you left with? In the interests of not offending anyone, I'll refrain from answering that question, but a clue might be found in the bathroom mirror. And by the way, to all the cannabis enthusiasts out there, do you really think that decriminalization is not going to attract a certain (perhaps large) number of these free-spirited vagabond type tourists? Whether the cops succeed in preventing them from setting up sidewalk vending operations remains to be seen, but something tells me beach side resorts like Pattaya might see a lot more of this type of tourist in the future.

I agree,.. Thailand is losing it's charm.  I remember the days when any park you wondered into, there would be a Indian fortune teller there.  All the mystery and charm seems to have been weeded out. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, SmokeandIce said:

I always think it is hilarious when farang call for the deportation of other farang from Thailand.  Must you be reminded that you are a visitor here; you do not set Thai policy nor do you have any authority. Live and let live.

Oj, oj, oj Yes! We should all keep together as we are all foreigners. Step out of play school and understand that people that are doing like this makes us all look bad. Coming to another country and begging for money to continue travel. That´s hilarious!

• Thumbs Up 1