Gerrytraveller

3 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

It didn't in my case at Nong Khai, it was dated to end on the day I arrived in Thailand, admittedly that was early 2006 and maybe things have changed since.

That was a very long time ago.

Normal is from the end of the 90 days. I don't recall any reports of it starting from the day of entry happening recently.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That was a very long time ago.

Normal is from the end of the 90 days. I don't recall any reports of it starting from the day of entry happening recently.

Ubon Joe. My question was as I  assumed like you said..the extension starts from the expiry of the 90 days initial period.. but then I read on the Hcmc thai embassy where it specifically stated.."from the date of first entry". I am presently in Hcmc and trying to get all my "duck" days in a row.

2 minutes ago, gerrytraveller said:

Ubon Joe. My question was as I  assumed like you said..the extension starts from the expiry of the 90 days initial period.. but then I read on the Hcmc thai embassy where it specifically stated.."from the date of first entry". I am presently in Hcmc and trying to get all my "duck" days in a row.

That is probably for the 90 days you got from the visa.

Embassies and consulates know very little about what immigration does.

• Like 1

I am due to do mine by October 5th. They said I can come in up to a month early. I figured it was stamped from my Original Retirement visa date. I’m not so sure about that now. Also I see conflicting info on What I need to bring for my 12 month extension. 
can anyone give me an update for Jomtien immigration? Thanks ???? 

today I received non O retirement visa Phuket 

one officer said apply for extension after 45 days. Another officer request extension after 30 days.

I will visit in thirty days. If not after 45 days. I respect the contributors here. They suggest 90 days. I understand the visa is for 90 days.

I have not visited my family in Australia, three years and have purchased tickets departing 16/11 returning 18/01.

if I procure re entry visa and visa expires whilst abroad.

what are my options.

1 hour ago, RTEA said:

today I received non O retirement visa Phuket 

one officer said apply for extension after 45 days. Another officer request extension after 30 days.

I will visit in thirty days. If not after 45 days. I respect the contributors here. They suggest 90 days. I understand the visa is for 90 days.

I have not visited my family in Australia, three years and have purchased tickets departing 16/11 returning 18/01.

if I procure re entry visa and visa expires whilst abroad.

what are my options.

In Phuket, you can apply for your retirement extension when you have 45 days remaining in your current permission to stay.  I would apply as early as possible, meaning that you should apply 45 days or more after you received your Non-O retirement visa in Phuket.

You don't state your nationality, which will impact what method you can use to satisfy the financial requirements for the retirement extension.  If you are Australian, UK, or US citizen unfortunately your embassy will not issue an income letter for you.  Other countries may do that for their citizens and it should be pursued if that's your case.  If you cannot get an embassy income letter you will need to have 800k baht in a Thai bank for a minimum of two (2) months before you can apply for your retirement extension.

The rules are basically spelled out here (for Phuket):

https://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/retirement/

Note that the link appears to say that you can only apply for your retirement extension 30 days (not 45) before your current extension of stay expires.  That is not the case in my experience.  They have always in my case (my experience over 7 retirement extensions) allowed me to do so 45 days before the current extension of stay expires.

When you go to apply for your retirement extension (at least 45 days after you received your Non-O visa, and at least 2 months after having 800k in your Thai bank account) you can expect, if all is well, that your application will be accepted on one business day and returned to you signed and stamped into your passport the next business day.  This is the normal procedure at Phuket (it may sound inconvenient but it actually minimizes the time you need to hang around the immigration office).  The reason you apply early is that it gives you ample time to fix any problems with time on your side rather than fighting to fix things against the clock.  Whatever day you successfully apply for your retirement extension will be your retirement extension renewal date.  You will be stamped in with a permission to stay of one year, expiring on your renewal date in the next year.  

When you go to retrieve your signed and stamped passport with your extension of stay, you can apply for a re-entry permit.  The re-entry permit will be valid for the duration of your extension (that is, one year).  You can leave and re-enter Thailand anytime during that period and you will be stamped in with a permission to stay until your extension renewal date (one year from your last successful extension).  Cost is 1K baht for single entry, 3.8k baht for multiple entry.

So, if you apply as soon as possible (45 days from today) you will get a renewal date of approximately October 28.  You get the re-entry permit (suggest doing this the next day when you pick up your passport) and then can leave Thailand on November 16 and return next year January 18.  You will be stamped in with permission to stay until 28 October 2023 (or whenever your extension renewal date is).

• Love It 1