Marriage extension under consideration time running out.

I applied for my marriage extension on 25 July at Samui immigration. They stamped my under consideration period until 16 September. I've been calling a couple of times a week since the 30 days were up to see if it had be processed (like they told me to do). When I called today it still wasn't ready & was told it may not be done by the 16th either, as they're waiting on the head office confirmation.

That would be 53 days! The problem is, I'm travelling back home to Australia on Monday morning (19th) unitil 27 October & I need something sorted out on Friday.

If it's not ready when I go on Friday, what are my options on keeping the extension alive? Could I get some kind of temporary 60 day extension to tie me over until I arrive back in the country? I planned this long overdue travel shortly after because I never imagined the waiting period would possibly exceed the consideration date.

Appreciate any input on this matter.

Cheers

Edited by yabbra

5 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

The system needs an upgrade.  Ridiculous that we aren't free to travel whilst "under consideration" every year.

You can travel during the under consideration period if you got a re-entry permit to keep it valid when entering the country,

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If your extension is not approved on the 16th you ask them to cancel your extension and apply for 60 day extension to visit your wife if you you have not gotten one since your last entry with a visa.

If they did 60 day the extension it would start from the day your current extension ended and you would need a re-entry permit to enter the country.

So I have some options, thanks Joe. Do you think I would need to bring & provide the same documents required for this 60 day extension if it becomes necessary to do, as they would have all the paperwork in the office from the yearly extension application?

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If your extension is not approved on the 16th you ask them to cancel your extension and apply for 60 day extension to visit your wife if you you have not gotten one since your last entry with a visa.

What if we already did a wife visit extension before? Would there be any option left?

I am planning to get a wife visit extension for my current TR visa, then get a Non-O, then an extension based on marriage, and reading this thread makes me anxious about the possibility of not being approved for the marriage extension in time. Has there been such a case here before?

Edited by EdwardM

49 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

I am planning to get a wife visit extension for my current TR visa, then get a Non-O, then an extension based on marriage, and reading this thread makes me anxious about the possibility of not being approved for the marriage extension in time. Has there been such a case here before?

You can only do one per entry to the country. Not sure but getting a new 90 day entry from the non-o visa might be considered to be the same as leaving the country.

You will be on a under 30 day under consideration period after your application is accepted and you can stay in the country until it is approved. If not approved yet when the 30 days end you can still stay until it is approved.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can travel during the under consideration period if you got a re-entry permit to keep it valid when entering the country,

Will they give a re-entry permit up to the under consideration period. I was under the impression that the re-entry would only be valid to the end of the previous extension, i.e 30 days before the end of the under consideration period.

22 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Will they give a re-entry permit up to the under consideration period. I was under the impression that the re-entry would only be valid to the end of the previous extension, i.e 30 days before the end of the under consideration period.

You need a re-entry issued when you get the under consideration stamp, you will then be able to re-enter before the under consideration period finishes, this is probably after your last extension finishes.

If you have a re-entry that was issued before you applied for an extension it is of little use..

I have re-entered after my last extension expired but before my under consideration finished with no problem (the re-entry permit was issued when I applied for my extension)

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Once you get a under consideration stamp, youre previous re entry is invalidated.

You may buy a fresh re entry and travel but be back by the last date stamped in your PP.

I raised this earlier but didn't know specific dates. Now I do. I have

a marriage extension which must be renewed on 23rd November. However, I need to go to Dubai on 18th December, returning on the 25th. It appears that I would not be able to get a re-entry permit as my return to Thailand would almost certainly be beyond the under consideration date (23rd December?).

The situation is further complicated by the fact that I may need to go back to Dubai in mid-February for around two weeks. If in November I applied for a 60 day extension to 'visit' my wife rather than apply for my annual extension, that would expire in mid-January, and my new application for a marriage extension would not be approved before mid-February when I might be away again.

I will visit Kalasin IO to discuss, but would appreciate guidance from those in the know on this site first. Members might raise/be aware of answers that the officers might not, solutions which I could politely suggest to them. For example, might they agree to give my under consideration report-back date as 25th instead of 23rd December, allowing me to use that date for my re-entry permit. That to me would be the best solution - if they would agree to it.

Another possible solution might be to enter on 25th December with no visa/extension and then apply at the end of 60 days (?) (or actually a little earlier in mid-February just before I go back to Dubai) for a new annual extension. I would be back at the beginning of March well before my under consideration date.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

On 9/14/2022 at 5:03 PM, ubonjoe said:

If they did 60 day the extension it would start from the day your current extension ended and you would need a re-entry permit to enter the country.

Hi Joe, thanks for all of the great advice in the past.  Question is, if I'm on an extension of a non-O visa by virtue of marriage (obtained years ago and extended each year).  Can I get a 60 day visa extension to visit my Thai wife just before the current yearly extension expires?  Thanks in advance!

21 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

Hi Joe, thanks for all of the great advice in the past.  Question is, if I'm on an extension of a non-O visa by virtue of marriage (obtained years ago and extended each year).  Can I get a 60 day visa extension to visit my Thai wife just before the current yearly extension expires?  Thanks in advance!

You can apply for the 60 day extension if you have not gotten one since your last entry with a visa.

• Thanks 1