Initial one year visa based on Thai child denied due to money in Bank .

Today ,  at an Issan immigration office I was told that the monthly income method for a one year visa based on having a Thai child , ( at least 40,000 bht per month  into bank from overseas ) required  showing 12 monthly payments into my bank account of bht40k up . They told me I  must have 400k in the account first time -- I don't have it . I was advised before leaving Australia ,  on Thai visa.com  , that I could come here on a 3 Month tourist visa and apply before the 3 mths was up , and show 2 mnoths of my pension payments in my Bangkok bank account . Can anyone tell me of any immigration offices that will allow  me to get the 'Thai child  visa' that way ? I don't have 400k to put in the bank . Also , my TM30 is in this Issan town . If I am able to do the 2 month proof of income way , in another province , would that  create a TM30 problem ? I'm really hoping to be able to live with my son and his mother .

35 minutes ago, gimo said:

Today ,  at an Issan immigration office I was told that the monthly income method for a one year visa based on having a Thai child , ( at least 40,000 bht per month  into bank from overseas )

As Joe said, it requires a letter from your embassy

1 hour ago, gimo said:

. If I am able to do the 2 month proof of income way , in another province , would that  create a TM30 problem ? I'm really hoping to be able to live with my son and his mother

That won't work.

You do realize that the funds only need to be in bank for limited time. 

I assume you are not married.

You could buy more time with a border bounce and organize funds in the bank. 

How long do you plan to stay in Thailand? 

Are you over 50? 

If so you could use agent for non O retirement and subsequent extension. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

As Joe said, it requires a letter from your embassy

Make no mistake , I was told about 6 months ago , by someone in the know here on Thai visa, that I could do as I posted -- arrive on a 3 mth visa and apply by showing 2 mnths of minimum k40,000 bht coming in to my bank and get a Thai child visa , and that I could extend it a year later , with 12 more months of the same  .It's posible a mistake was made and it was mixed up with 2 months of 400,000 k in bank for 2 months . Anyway I was shocked by the bad news at immigration today -- been preparing a lot of stuff for a long time .

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That won't work.

You do realize that the funds only need to be in bank for limited time. 

I assume you are not married.

You could buy more time with a border bounce and organize funds in the bank. 

How long do you plan to stay in Thailand? 

Are you over 50? 

If so you could use agent for non O retirement and subsequent extension. 

Thanks for the advice -- probably will use the latter option . 69 y.o  . really hoping to see my son reach 20.y.o here --10 more years .

• Thanks 1

Totally different situation but it might give you some hope on using the income method.  A few years back a friend of mine who has a business in Thailand with his wife and a work permit was told by the then 'boss' of Korat immigration that his 40,000 baht income must come from outside Thailand - how could it? His income was from the business!

He was told that as his income was not from outside the country, he needed to have 400,000 in the bank.  He called Immigration Head Office in Bangkok and was told that Korat were wrong and earning 40,000 from a Thai business was in accordance with the rules.  He asked if they would call Korat and advise them of their 'mistake' - not a hope!! Running out of time he hastily arranged for 400,000 to be placed in his bank account.

The following year, anticipating the same problem he used his lawyer (a well known Korat lawyer) to make the extension application and got it using only his Thai income - no 400,000 in the bank. I'm told that the lady in question has now left Korat Immigration but I can't confirm that.

So once you get the other issues sorted, you might want to contact a lawyer to actually make the application.

10 hours ago, gimo said:

Make no mistake , I was told about 6 months ago , by someone in the know here on Thai visa, that I could do as I posted -- arrive on a 3 mth visa and apply by showing 2 mnths of minimum k40,000 bht coming in to my bank and get a Thai child visa , and that I could extend it a year later , with 12 more months of the same  .It's posible a mistake was made and it was mixed up with 2 months of 400,000 k in bank for 2 months . Anyway I was shocked by the bad news at immigration today -- been preparing a lot of stuff for a long time .

converting a visa exempt or tourist visa to a non-immigrant visa would only give you a 90 day permission to stay stamp on issue, not a year 

17 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Seems crazy that potentially immigration have the power to ruin a child's life - both financially and emotionally 

The OP, had the option of using money in the bank method. (not difficult)

Sadly he received incorrect information re his options. 

On 9/14/2022 at 11:33 PM, gimo said:

Thanks for the advice -- probably will use the latter option . 69 y.o  . really hoping to see my son reach 20.y.o here --10 more years .

More bad news to day at immigration today  . Even if I manage to get a visa via an agent , they won't accept 12 months of 40,000 pension income into my bank , to extend  it after a year . It appears that the 40,000 income method ( father of a Thai child ) has comepletely disappeared in the last 6months .This means I have to

pay big money year after year .

15 minutes ago, gimo said:

More bad news to day at immigration today  . Even if I manage to get a visa via an agent , they won't accept 12 months of 40,000 pension income into my bank , to extend  it after a year . It appears that the 40,000 income method ( father of a Thai child ) has comepletely disappeared in the last 6months .This means I have to

Really?  Can they give you the legal statute wherein this method of 40,000 baht of income has been changed?

If it has changed, you might politely inform the kind folk at immigration that their website has not yet been updated, and that you could not have known of the change.  (Look at #5 below.)

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=14714

In the case of being a family member of a Thai national (applicable only to parents, spouse, children,
adopted children, or spouse’s children):

Criteria for Consideration

1. The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
  2. The alien must have proof of relationship.
  3. In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto; or
  4. In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse’s children, said children, adopted children,
    or spouse’s children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not
    be over 20 years of age; or
  5. In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less
    than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht
    400,000 to cover expenses for one year.
    For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau
    is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case-by-case basis.
  6. In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income
    of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in
    Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

8 hours ago, gimo said:

There has been no change to rules for using 40k baht transfers into a Thai bank from abroad. Did you have proof the transfers from abroad? Also they can ask for proof of the source of your income.

This from the immigration that has not changed since it was issued in December of 2018.

image.png.a369a45f4c404d64a5efad775bbaa1d4.png

The order can be downloaded in this pinned topic. Laws, regulations, Police Orders, etc 

In english at number 18 and Thai at 19.