Visa run required to change to ED visa?

I am currently on a visa exempt stamp with many covid visa extensions. I am looking to get an Education visa to study Thai for 1 year. The school I am interested in told me that since I have been in Thailand for more than 1 year I must leave and re enter the country, only then can I get the ED visa. Is this legitimate? I can do the visa run but would prefer not to as it takes time and also I don't want to have any issues getting back into the country given that I have already stayed a while. Thank you!

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot normally apply for non-ed visa if attending a language school. 

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/3.FOR-EDUCATION-NON-ED.pdf

You will not have a problem entering the country with a non-ed visa. They only make problems for those entering visa exempt.

The school wants me to enter visa exempt again before starting the process of getting an ED visa. They said it is because I have stayed for over 1 year and there's a new rule that says you can't apply for a visa if you have been here for more than a year

39 minutes ago, sadmoneysnow said:

The school wants me to enter visa exempt again before starting the process of getting an ED visa. They said it is because I have stayed for over 1 year and there's a new rule that says you can't apply for a visa if you have been here for more than a year

I am not aware of such a rule.

I think it might be easier to apply for a non-ed visa at a nearby embassy or consulate.

19 hours ago, sadmoneysnow said:

Document 12 in this topic:

(2) In case of non-formal school, each
permission shall be granted for a period
certified by the educational institution, for
no more than 90 days, total length of stay
shall not exceed one year from the date of
entering the Kingdom.

Afaik there is no rule against you converting your visa exempt to a non-ED, but a subsequent extension would not be possible, so you would have to leave after 90 days, because your stay exceeded one year already. On these grounds immigration might not issue you a non-ED visa.

4 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

and let me ask a question about your future... then what? yes, what is your plan after 1 yr ed visa? study again? 

why dont you try to get a proper visa instead of trying to stay and live in thailand..

Is an education visa not a proper visa? The school told me I can renew it 10 times for 10 years. I'm going to be fluent in Thai language for sure

10 minutes ago, sadmoneysnow said:

Is an education visa not a proper visa? The school told me I can renew it 10 times for 10 years. I'm going to be fluent in Thai language for sure

so you want to study till you die? lol

obviously you are using the vis to stay in thailand.. not to learn thai or you can join thai cooking classes next?

by proper visa i mean like, work? wife? 

Edited by problemfarang