Exiting Thailand to rtn w/ different passport and need re entry advice.

Hi All

I’m looking to exit Thailand on 27th Sept as my tourist visa (had ‘C’ extensions for past 12 months) expires 29th & my UK passport expires 16th Oct.

Going to exit w/ UK Pport and rtn with my Irish pport. Planning to rtn after 2nd Oct (up until 1st it’s 30 days) to get 45 days visa on arrival.

I went to Phuket’s immigration & was informed I can further extend for another 45 days with them… Does that sound right (as we’re familiar with the save face aspect) or would I be looking at a border run or I suppose I could fly out and back in again no?

Or will it be a 30 day extension?

Reason I ask is the entire 90 days will benefit me getting the UK passport renewed (roughly up to 12 weeks ish I’m told).

Can the visa on arrival, moving forward be changed to an education visa or alternatives?

Many thanks for your time in reading this and any advice is much appreciated! ????

Not a problem to leave on one passport and re-enter on a different passport by air.

It would not be possible at a land border crossing due to the country you are entering will want to see a departure stamp for Thailand to enter and then the same when returning to Thailand.

Phuket immigration was wrong about getting a 45 day extension of your visa exempt entry.

It is possible to apply for a non immigrant visa at immigration with a visa exempt entry (you do not qualify for a 15 day visa on arrival). Whether you could apply for a non-ed visa at immigration would depend upon the type of school you are attending.

List of non immigrant visas that can be applied for is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=2537

That statement about a further 45-day extension at Phuket immigration is odd. Is it possible that you still have a Covid extension under consideration?

Generally, you need to fly out and then return either by air or by land. Since you are looking for a visa exemption after a lot of time in Thailand as a tourist, I would recommend a land entry.

You can convert to an education visa/extension within Thailand after returning visa exempt. Some schools might suggest you get a Non Ed visa from a consulate outside Thailand instead, which probably makes sense if you are planning being out of Thailand for several days anyway, and as this would make returning by air a safe option.

On 9/18/2022 at 9:09 AM, ubonjoe said:

Not a problem to leave on one passport and re-enter on a different passport by air.

It would not be possible at a land border crossing due to the country you are entering will want to see a departure stamp for Thailand to enter and then the same when returning to Thailand.

Phuket immigration was wrong about getting a 45 day extension of your visa exempt entry.

It is possible to apply for a non immigrant visa at immigration with a visa exempt entry (you do not qualify for a 15 day visa on arrival). Whether you could apply for a non-ed visa at immigration would depend upon the type of school you are attending.

List of non immigrant visas that can be applied for is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=2537

Thanks for the info and link, very helpful. One last question regarding swapping pports in the air… because you enter pport info when booking flights. Would that represent issues with a rtn or would you purchase outbound and inbound separately to then enter the different pport numbers?

5 hours ago, truthfix said:

Thanks for the info and link, very helpful. One last question regarding swapping pports in the air… because you enter pport info when booking flights. Would that represent issues with a rtn or would you purchase outbound and inbound separately to then enter the different pport numbers?

Use the new passport to book your return ticket. That might sometimes be necessary anyway so the airline knows you meet the immigration requirements for your destination. Immigration on exit do not care which passport you use for the flight booking. They only care that you present to them the passport you used for entry.

Edited by BritTim

I plan to exit Thailand next month on a UK passport to Laos. Then re-enter Thailand on my Australian Passport which has an exit stamp from Thailand back in March 2022. Is that possible? I thought it was until I read that.

7 hours ago, greenblue14 said:

I plan to exit Thailand next month on a UK passport to Laos. Then re-enter Thailand on my Australian Passport which has an exit stamp from Thailand back in March 2022. Is that possible? I thought it was until I read that.

I am certain that will not work.

When you leave Thailand you will use your UK passport to get a departure stamp. The on the Lao side they will look for the Thai departure stamp and stamp you into Laos with the UK passport. When you leave Laos you will get a departure stamp in your UK passport. Then Thai immigration will look for the Laos departure stamp and that will be in your UK passport.

7 hours ago, greenblue14 said:

You will need to fly in at least one direction (either when leaving or when returning)

I am certain that will not work.

When you leave Thailand you will use your UK passport to get a departure stamp. The on the Lao side they will look for the Thai departure stamp and stamp you into Laos with the UK passport. When you leave Laos you will get a departure stamp in your UK passport. Then Thai immigration will look for the Laos departure stamp and that will be in your UK passport.

Okay. Is there a problem showing both passports? The departure stamps in the UK... Then entering with the new Non Im "O" (Marry) Visa (multi entry) in the Australian.

2nd Question.... I got married using the Australian Passport in Thailand. Is it easy enough then using the UK Passport for the Non 'O' Marry Visa? Then I wouldn't need worry about changing Passports.

Thanks

26 minutes ago, greenblue14 said:

Okay. Is there a problem showing both passports? The departure stamps in the UK... Then entering with the new Non Im "O" (Marry) Visa (multi entry) in the Australian.

To use both passports they have to be issued by the same country.

If you entered the country with the passport you used to enter the country where you apply for the non-o visa that could be done.

26 minutes ago, greenblue14 said:

2nd Question.... I got married using the Australian Passport in Thailand. Is it easy enough then using the UK Passport for the Non 'O' Marry Visa? Then I wouldn't need worry about changing Passports.

There is no requirement for you to use a passport from the same country that you used when you registered your marriage to apply for a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage.