Anyone know what the problem is with these trees and plants please

I moved into a property about 6 weeks ago . I haven’t been a gardener before so apologies in advance if I ask basic questions . 

In the first picture the leaves have been falling off at a very fast rate , about 20-30 a day , the foliage is definitely thinning  . It doesn’t seem right to me . The leaves don’t look healthy either . Would anyone have any idea if this is natural or is it I’ll ?

B65660C5-8F0B-4354-8A2E-D38A1417036F.jpeg

9AE8B78E-BB52-4E49-9F49-566ED7356F33.jpeg

C1D10550-5C76-45AA-BBDA-F38ED6D42315.jpeg

6193FEE4-71E1-4E9B-BECC-036186789253.jpeg

I have no idea if it is related, but we have lots of trees / plants dying on us and that is because of the excessive rain fall we had in the last couple of weeks and thus insufficient drainage.

It is really making my wife (who is the gardener) upset!

• Like 2

Trees can die if their roots aren't properly aerated, such as during prolonged flooding.  I'm not sure if that is the issue here, though, or not.  Without a soil analysis, it would be difficult to know if there might be a mineral issue, but if the problem persists beyond the rainy season, you might look into getting the soil tested and/or researching soil amendments, particularly trace minerals like boron and copper--both of which will have an impact on algae and fungi in the soil as well.

If you're trying to go fully organic, there are such things as rock powders that can be used.  I like to put some large rocks in the (oversized) hole when I plant my trees to provide them some minerals.  But I see no harm in adding specific minerals as indicated by a proper soil analysis.  It costs something--depends on how much it's worth to you.

2 hours ago, brendan3150 said:

I think we also have an issue with these trees and plants 

7F37FE8E-9E69-4061-AA91-2E2CF507338E.jpeg

F0261E45-54F0-4B36-905A-D5E3E5015F36.jpeg

ADB58FD0-C3FC-4973-A9E9-B5536AF842C4.jpeg

Top photo is maak luang (หมากเหลือง) yellow palm. Yellow color in older growth fairly normal, may yellow more than usual in rainy season or in strong sunlight.

Middle tree looks pretty normal and healthy.

Bottom tree does not look healthy to my eye.  The collapsed spines and browning  of lower fronds and the splayed and uneven height of top fronds make me think it may have a beetle infestation that may be in the process of killing the tree, but that's just a guess.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Top photo is maak luang (หมากเหลือง) yellow palm. Yellow color in older growth fairly normal, may yellow more than usual in rainy season or in strong sunlight.

Middle tree looks pretty normal and healthy.

Bottom tree does not look healthy to my eye.  The collapsed spines and browning  of lower fronds and the splayed and uneven height of top fronds make me think it may have a beetle infestation that may be in the process of killing the tree, but that's just a guess.

is there a way i could check for the beetle infestation , and if it is beetles, is it treatable ?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

Frangipani is notorious for fungal infestation

They get it even in the dry season in full sun exposure...albeit less so.

In the  rainy season and in the shade from surrounding trees or buildings they get way worse.

Not much to do abt it other than keep nearby trees pruned so as not to cast any shade on it.

thanks for the reply. will it recover ?

2 hours ago, brendan3150 said:

is there a way i could check for the beetle infestation , and if it is beetles, is it treatable ?

Probably need to ask a landscaping expert.  In my condo grounds we had a similar issue with what looks like same kind of palm in same poor condition recently and confirmed to be beetle infestation and had to be felled and taken away.

13 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

That's a li lao di tree (ต้นลีลาวดี). Totally normal for it to drop its leaves. Leaves drop here and there around the year but around once a year it loses all of its leaves before new growth starts again.  Absolutely no reason to panic or be alarmed.

I agree I have a number from the original poster each day now I sweep they fall off Once or twice a year they bloom these white flowers that also drop all over the place.  I've never had to do anything like water it just doesn't die or need constant watering. It grows so much I have to cut branches when you do you will see the ants love these trees cut a branch will see full of water or juice. 

The other picture shown by other poster look like Bamboo what I see is normal they turn brown then come back nothing seems to dead at less from my experience. 

• Like 1

Our Frangipani tree is the same. Caused by the excessive humidity right now. But Frangipani trees are very robust and will put out new leaves to replace those lost and continue doing so until the cool season improves the humidity levels.

Only thing you can do is collect up and dispose of the infected leaves asap to retard the growth of the fungal spores ( can't stop totally but helps a bit.)

• Love It 1

14 hours ago, stuarty said:

Probably need to ask a landscaping expert.  In my condo grounds we had a similar issue with what looks like same kind of palm in same poor condition recently and confirmed to be beetle infestation and had to be felled and taken away.

One of my palms, similar to the last of the photos, was attacked by beetles years ago but recovered. These days the problem is gray squirrels.. They nibble on the new fronds which eventually yellow and drop prematurely. They killed a half dozen coco palms in the neighbor's garden. Now only one is left. The chewing damage is quite distinctive. We trap the squirrels using banana as bait.

• Love It 1

Couldn’t tell if the same type of plant. If so certain times of the year all the leaves fall off. Two pictures taken today. You can break off a small branch and stick it in ground and if taken care 

you’ll have another tree. The small one is about 4-5 months old..

1AE8E7B7-A1EC-49A7-9226-A086575B4AFA.jpeg

9376E3B7-CC8C-4BB8-A4A1-C9DC6DD621E7.jpeg

• Like 1