Disappearing Icons

smo

I think it was during my going back to Nero 6 from Nero 7 that some of my desktop icons began to disappear. I then re-installed Windows XP and made an error of checking instead of unchecking icons to be deleted from the desktop, as a result almost all of my icons are gone.

But not quite, now whenever I created a new shortcut to an application, Windows would ask me whether I want to overwrite the existing shortcut, which I can’t see on the desktop. It is as if my monitor screen only shows a corner of the whole desktop, with most of the icons regrouped in the “unseen” areas.

Also after Windows re-installation, the “All Programs >” (above the “Start” button in the bottom left of the screen) no longer shows: a) Accessories (where I can get to system tools and try system restore); :o Windows Explorer.

I went to the bookstore today and read up on Windows XP. None of the books address this problem, they all assume that your desktop shows everything it is supposed to show.

Any advice on what to do is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, guys.

smo

The auto run {rather than on install} system places icons in :-

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Desktop\Unused Desktop Shortcuts

Regards

PS To switch it off afterwards:-

Right Click on desktop

Select Desktop Tab

Click Customise Desktop

Deselect Run Cleanup every 60 days.

Click OK and the Apply

/edit add Apply//

Edited by A_Traveller

The auto run {rather than on install} system places icons in :-

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Desktop\Unused Desktop Shortcuts

Regards

PS To switch it off afterwards:-

Right Click on desktop

Select Desktop Tab

Click Customise Desktop

Deselect Run Cleanup every 60 days.

Click OK and the Apply

/edit add Apply//

Thanks for all your advice. Still...

I was able to do a restore with the C:\... command as suggested. However, the re-installation had already wiped out my restore points. So that did me no good.

Re: unused desktop shortcuts folder. I checked in every user’s directory and none has a unused desktop shortcuts/icons folder. A general search thru all my drives yielded nothing.

Out of desperation I tried to add the “accessories” feature via the “Add/Remove Windows component” feature. This triggered yet another re-installation of Windows XP. Finally, when the system came up again, nothing had been gained. Still no “Accessories” in the Programs listing; no Window Explorer, and the presumably un-deleted icons still absent from the desktop.

What should I do now?