Saving While In Thailand

siamamerican

It's ok Begbie. There's no need to try so hard to convince us all of the golden paradise and pot at the end of the rainbow that is Cambodia. We're all convinced and we fully support your efforts to . . ummmm . not be here.

Good luck.

Here's the story

Any $2 billion foreign investments planned for Thailand this year?

Funny you should say that. Just this morning, our firm got an RFP in to advise an international chemicals giant on a US$2 billion cracker ethanol plant being built here.

But, unlike Cambodia, it doesnt warrant front page news. Also, unlike the PP project it will be complete within 18 months, not 12 years.

Edited by bendix

lets keep this topic about savings.

Comparisons about Cambodia, and the levels of foriegn and domestic investment needed there to bring it forward 30 years to match Thailands current infratructure are best left for a seperate thread when you can compare apples and oranges until the cows come home.

I came here 7 years ago. Now all my savings are tied up in land and house here. Job I have is unstable and with the new rule coming for minimum 40k/month for year-visa, I have no option as to start some business for myself. I guess the savings have to wait a couple of years and it is going to be hard to start a business with almost nothing to invest.

I wanted to go for a PR, but that's out of the question for a while since it needs 3 years of high income.... Married with a thai, but no kids. Better do your homework before you start is my advice

• 3 weeks later...
A lot comes down to discipline.

I know people who came here as off the boat english teachers, and basically worked their butts off. They worked at the school during the day and did at least 3-4 hours of private tutorials every evening charging 1000 baht per hour. They all tend to live in small apartments, saving on rent, and manage to save around 70K per month which they invest back in the UK. They are very good at what they do, which comes from hard work. The families they do private tutoring for are some of the richest in Thailand. The are personable, socialble, and to a person, ain't here for the usual reasons. They just like Thailand. It has taken them at least 6 years to get to where they are.

I was hoping to get more success stories like the ones you discussed. I believe persistent and likable English teachers should be able to clear 80k. Taking the cost of living and taxes into consideration, this is much more than average teacher in America makes. A few years back I was told that 1st year teachers in America make around 80k.

I've read many posts that ridicule what English teachers make. Even at 300bt an hr, Farang English teachers should be better off than substitute teachers in the US. For those that are blessed with social skills and the desire, I don't see any reason why you can't live comfortably and save enough to retire someday.

new at what?

:D id loved to drink with you, one funny guy!

So long as it's not koolaid. Bendix doesn't touch the stuff.

Not since the time I got sick on it at Jonestown, no.

Back on topic. As someone else said, saving is relatively simple. It's all about discipline. If I earned only 25000 a month, I'd still try to save 20% and would adjust my spending accordingly.

My old dad was tighter than a camel's arse in a sandstorm. It's hereditary.

:o:D:D

It's not what you make or what you spend but what you get to keep, and keeping it over a long period of time with out losing your ass. :D