BB gun ownership laws

SidJames

16 minutes ago, SidJames said:

What is the actual law in relation to owning or possessing a BB gun?

Anyone can have one no licence requirement.

Just teach him the correct way to own a gun and what to do and what not to do. 

As far as I know the only trouble you can get into is damaging someones eye. 

Any gun becomes illegal if you kill something with it is what I read somewhere on gun laws in Thailand.

I looked into this sometime ago and I think there is no law covering BB guns and thats not to say they are legal either. We have a BB gun shop near our home and I see them for sale in markets and on Lazada. I think one thing is illegal is carrying them or displaying them in public. They look great but even the gas powered ones are pretty weak and inaccurate. I would love a .17 rifled (air rifle pellet) one. I reckon they would be much better

Edited by Kenny202

19 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I looked into this sometime ago and I think there is no law covering BB guns and thats not to say they are legal either. We have a BB gun shop near our home and I see them for sale in markets and on Lazada. I think one thing is illegal is carrying them or displaying them in public. They look great but even the gas powered ones are pretty weak and inaccurate. I would love a .17 rifled (air rifle pellet) one. I reckon they would be much better

Available on Lazada. In calibre .22 or .177 air rifles available.

5 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Be interested if you could send me a link. I asked a couple of the bigger sellers on there about .177 availability and got blanked. PM me if you can. I have seen them locally but over 10k baht

23 minutes ago, huangnon said:

I think if you have a closer look what they are selling on Lazada, though they look convincing is an actual photo of an air rifle / pistol for between 200-500 baht. 100s of ads. I almost got duped my self, looks very convincing but amongst the fine print / description you will find you are buying a print of the said air rifle

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Gas powered ones are not allowed to be owned by foreigners.

59 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Gas powered ones are not allowed to be owned by foreigners.

Who says? I have never heard or seen anything to that effect, applies to general firearms but not sure a BB gun is classed as a firearm is it?

some airguns have lethal power so i dunno what the law is on pneumatic guns i always thougth they were banned

black powder rifles are still made in issan i have one in the house but no rifling in it makes a aloud noise and smokes a lot

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

some airguns have lethal power so i dunno what the law is on pneumatic guns i always thougth they were banned

black powder rifles are still made in issan i have one in the house but no rifling in it makes a aloud noise and smokes a lot

You can buy all the parts to make them usually at the village hardware shops. They fill them with gun powder then use either BBs or rocks or whatever for shot. I think how they shoot rats

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mahjongguy said:

Good way to get arrested.

Better to buy a blank gun. The noise and flash should be enough to make them feel unwelcome.

I saw a documentary about a gamekeeper in an African wildlife park who was trying to keep elephants away from some crops because the local famers where shooting them.

He came with the ingenious idea of half filling a condom with dried chile powder & sticking a lite banger in then firing it into the air over their heads with a catapult.

Worked a treat & saved the elephants from getting killed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I keep meaning to buy one to give the noisy dogs on our soi a shot in the rump, hopefully shut them up and make them move away from our soi, anyone got any experience of trying this method ??

Dogs forget and come back and Thais look upon you doing such a thing with a gun is not good but with a catapult bought from the local guys shop it makes it no problem. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the consensus is for farangies is if you have guns of whatever keep them out of sight, I do and can on my farmland so I am fortunate.

Archery is my favorite anyhow but you are still restricted like with any weapons even a knife. 

17 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I think if you have a closer look what they are selling on Lazada, though they look convincing is an actual photo of an air rifle / pistol for between 200-500 baht. 100s of ads. I almost got duped my self, looks very convincing but amongst the fine print / description you will find you are buying a print of the said air rifle

I did a recent search on Lazada for "powerful air rifles" that produced a lot of BB pistol, and both break-barrel / spring and CO2 loading guns in the 5-20k price range, including known brands like Airsoft, Colt, etc.

I honestly don't know if the products are genuine or not. -I'd personally always elect to see before I buy a rifle, and even try firing it before I bought it. Caveat Emptor, and all that.

44 minutes ago, huangnon said:

I did a recent search on Lazada for "powerful air rifles" that produced a lot of BB pistol, and both break-barrel / spring and CO2 loading guns in the 5-20k price range, including known brands like Airsoft, Colt, etc.

I honestly don't know if the products are genuine or not. -I'd personally always elect to see before I buy a rifle, and even try firing it before I bought it. Caveat Emptor, and all that.

From Lazada I bought a Tokyo Marui Glock 17 Gen 4 has 350 fps power good fun had at target shooting.

My BIL bought an air-rifle for me in Pattaya a Spanish  Gamo 1000 fps single load spring-gun I target shoot cans and metal flap type targets I made myself saves having go backwards and forwards up to 900 metres.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

From Lazada I bought a Tokyo Marui Glock 17 Gen 4 has 350 fps power good fun had at target shooting.

My BIL bought an air-rifle for me in Pattaya a Spanish  Gamo 1000 fps single load spring-gun I target shoot cans and metal flap type targets I made myself saves having go backwards and forwards up to 900 metres.

I saw those, decent price too at around 5000 baht. They only fire BBs right? Not .177?

I got a Wingun....decent enough but inaccurate past a few meters and pretty gutless. I wouldn't want to get hit in the bum with it at close range. Not sure on your experience but you think better than the Wingun? It's CO2 BB 

34 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I had a German break 22 air rifle about 30 years ago. Just compression type like a normal air rifle but I was told it was diesel powered. had a scope. Man that thing packed a punch and the most accurate rifle I ever had. Used to be able to shoot / break mango stems up in the trees to get the mangos lol

35 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I saw those, decent price too at around 5000 baht. They only fire BBs right? Not .177?

I got a Wingun....decent enough but inaccurate past a few meters and pretty gutless. I wouldn't want to get hit in the bum with it at close range. Not sure on your experience but you think better than the Wingun? It's CO2 BB 

The Tokyo Marui are certainly a quality Japanese made product copy of a Glock 17, you inject gas into the bb magazine holder. 

Can shoot accurate up to 25 metres using a recommended weight bb which are white. 

The gun can smash a bottle beer bottle at 10 metres using bb size ball bearings.

I paid 6500 for it and get gas from Lazada to. 

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The Tokyo Marui are certainly a quality Japanese made product copy of a Glock 17, you inject gas into the bb magazine holder. 

Can shoot accurate up to 25 metres using a recommended weight bb which are white. 

The gun can smash a bottle beer bottle at 10 metres using bb size ball bearings.

I paid 6500 for it and get gas from Lazada to. 

Oh so they're not the little soda tanks you get in the other ones? they dont show a lot of info on the Lazada ads, nothing about gas or even the pellets they fire. You use the plastic pellets? I found the glass ones were good in my Wingun. I am seriously thinking of buying one. TM Glock on Lazada about 5000 baht atm 

40 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I had a German break 22 air rifle about 30 years ago. Just compression type like a normal air rifle but I was told it was diesel powered. had a scope. Man that thing packed a punch and the most accurate rifle I ever had. Used to be able to shoot / break mango stems up in the trees to get the mangos lol

The Gamo is a spring gun •22 air-rifle and very accurate when I get the good quality pellets from a gun shop. 

I learnt my lesson by not buying cheap pellets on-line.

6 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Oh so they're not the little soda tanks you get in the other ones? they dont show a lot of info on the Lazada ads, nothing about gas or even the pellets they fire. You use the plastic pellets? I found the glass ones were good in my Wingun. I am seriously thinking of buying one. TM Glock on Lazada about 5000 baht atm 

If it's the lastest Gen 4 it is a good gun but there are older models on sale so I don't know.

My one was from a gun shop selling on Lazada and on messenger he recommended the Gen 4 6499 baht. ????

Edited by Kwasaki