BB gun ownership laws

SidJames

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I see a lot of these BB guns the seller shows a certificate. Not sure what it says, all in Thai. I wonder if it says the item is legal or only that they are licensed to sell them? 

I got my missus to translate the Certificate one seller on Lazada displays. It just says he has a license to sell BB gun, parts and do repairs. its not to say it is legal for you to own one unfortunately.

I did look into this about 6 or 7 years ago, even went and asked the local Policeman and he didn't give a shet, said you wont have a problem because Police love guns too lol. He even told me there was a BB Gun club somewhere or other. But the same policeman would be sipping Lao at his front desk most afternoons from 2pm onwards. So it was ok with him but maybe not ok with others. From memory they weren't classed as a weapon but could be and really no specific law covering them. I think if you displayed it in public or used it to threaten someone there was a law about that and you would be in hot water (and som nam na)  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/21/2022 at 2:46 PM, Kenny202 said:

I asked a couple of the bigger sellers on there about .177 availability and got blanked.

Airguns (.22 / .177) need a firearms permit here to own legally. The same permit / hassle as required for a small bore/fullbore rifle or pistol. 

BB guns don't need a permit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, BKKBike09 said:

Airguns (.22 / .177) need a firearms permit here to own legally. The same permit / hassle as required for a small bore/fullbore rifle or pistol. 

BB guns don't need a permit.

I haven't seen anything official to state that though it does seem to be the way it is. I haven't seen any proper air guns on Lazada. You do see them for sale (Horrible Chinese ones) at some of the provincial fares / festivals.......but usually hidden out of view.

Mate of mine has 2 Sig pistols, in his wife's name. Told me if the wife is a business owner very easy for her to go and get a firearm license.

5 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Mate of mine has 2 Sig pistols, in his wife's name. Told me if the wife is a business owner very easy for her to go and get a firearm license.

Depends where you live. Bangkok is much easier for permits than upcountry. Regardless, if a gun is registered to someone else and you get caught with it (like going to a range to practise) and the registered owner is not present, big problem. 

On 9/22/2022 at 9:34 AM, Kwasaki said:

From Lazada I bought a Tokyo Marui Glock 17 Gen 4 has 350 fps power good fun had at target shooting.

My BIL bought an air-rifle for me in Pattaya a Spanish  Gamo 1000 fps single load spring-gun I target shoot cans and metal flap type targets I made myself saves having go backwards and forwards up to 900 metres.

Just a couple of questions on the Tokyp Marui.....How many shots do you get out of one gas refill? Do you use the TM ammo and gas or is the generic stuff ok? Re smashing bottles are you using steel, plastic or glass BBs? 

Not sure if you will know or not but whats the difference between the Glock 17 and 19? Is it barrel length?

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Just a couple of questions on the Tokyp Marui.....How many shots do you get out of one gas refill? Do you use the TM ammo and gas or is the generic stuff ok? Re smashing bottles are you using steel, plastic or glass BBs? 

Not sure if you will know or not but whats the difference between the Glock 17 and 19? Is it barrel length?

Fully filled with gas I get about 40 shots before you can tell it's running out, the mag takes 20 but I put 10 each time just my silly way of being realistic because I shoot a real glock 17 thats had a barrel changed to take 10 bullets of 45 amo. 

Gas I get from Lazada it is the same as TM recommended gas. 

With 6mm steel ball bearings it smashing thick glass. 

The plastic recommended 6mm bb is 0.2 grams that can shoot fairly accurate up to 25 metres.

The difference between a Glock 17 and a 19 basically is size the Glock 19 is a bit smaller and use by the military.

1664083454363695341415.thumb.jpg.1bfee808bf6ea7dacb4611a7f227a800.jpg

1664083484309-2030337651.thumb.jpg.e777f736e0c027bf2e4b158c997a8f13.jpg

1664083902366-640425513.thumb.jpg.dbde68b325a48025f032dc06d9b524f6.jpg

1664083979657-628963498.thumb.jpg.742aba0b4bc288d82209563e5d848541.jpg

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Fully filled with gas I get about 40 shots before you can tell it's running out, the mag takes 20 but I put 10 each time just my silly way of being realistic because I shoot a real glock 17 thats had a barrel changed to take 10 bullets of 45 amo. 

Gas I get from Lazada it is the same as TM recommended gas. 

With 6mm steel ball bearings it smashing thick glass. 

The plastic recommended 6mm bb is 0.2 grams that can shoot fairly accurate up to 25 metres.

The difference between a Glock 17 and a 19 basically is size the Glock 19 is a bit smaller and use by the military.

1664083454363695341415.thumb.jpg.1bfee808bf6ea7dacb4611a7f227a800.jpg

1664083484309-2030337651.thumb.jpg.e777f736e0c027bf2e4b158c997a8f13.jpg

1664083902366-640425513.thumb.jpg.dbde68b325a48025f032dc06d9b524f6.jpg

1664083979657-628963498.thumb.jpg.742aba0b4bc288d82209563e5d848541.jpg

Thanks bro....Sorry for all the questions lol but what brand of BB (Steel / Ceramic / Glass do you buy?

17 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Thanks bro....Sorry for all the questions lol but what brand of BB (Steel / Ceramic / Glass do you buy?

No worries as said I got them from Lazada and they came in plain plastic container they just 6mm ball bearings the same size as the 6mm plastic.

I don't shoot many ball bearings as they can wear the gun barrel in time unlike plastic 0•2 gm bb, I clean and oil the gun barrel to reduce wear. 

16640855095751167301312.thumb.jpg.3666583db5d585589de72104f71b3729.jpg

Just now, Kwasaki said:

No worries as said I got them from Lazada and they came in plain plastic container they just 6mm ball bearings the same size as the 6mm plastic.

I don't shoot many ball bearings as they can wear the gun barrel in time unlike plastic 0•2 gm bb, I clean and oil the gun barrel to reduce wear. 

16640855095751167301312.thumb.jpg.3666583db5d585589de72104f71b3729.jpg

I had some Steel BBs I got off Lazada rusted up pretty quickly. I found the best compromise for distance / 

power were the glass ones. 

1 minute ago, Kenny202 said:

I had some Steel BBs I got off Lazada rusted up pretty quickly. I found the best compromise for distance / 

power were the glass ones. 

Yeah I will get glass next I never saw them at first so grabbed the steel ones and they have kept well in doors no rust so far. 

I have what looks like a 45 replica bb pistol. Not really used it, just oiled and cleaned.

How do you know how much gas to put in it?

From what I remember, the one time I used it the glass balls didn't come out straight from the barrel but at an angle. I presumed this was because of low gas, but don't know how much is correct. Thanks

58 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I have what looks like a 45 replica bb pistol. Not really used it, just oiled and cleaned.

How do you know how much gas to put in it?

From what I remember, the one time I used it the glass balls didn't come out straight from the barrel but at an angle. I presumed this was because of low gas, but don't know how much is correct. Thanks

Depends what angle, there are adjustments when the guns apart. 

If your unable to correct it a gun shop will do it for you. 

To fill with gas at the bottom of the bb Mag holder, hold up-right and place gas canister in position press down and initially the gas loads for a second or two as soon as there is overflowing stop,  repeat this action twice more. 

If you still have a problem off to gun shop. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Depends what angle, there are adjustments when the guns apart. 

If your unable to correct it a gun shop will do it for you. 

To fill with gas at the bottom of the bb Mag holder, hold up-right and place gas canister in position press down and initially the gas loads for a second or two as soon as there is overflowing stop,  repeat this action twice more. 

If you still have a problem off to gun shop. 

I bought it at the Mukdahan hidden market and not sure we have a gun shop up here. 

51 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I bought it at the Mukdahan hidden market and not sure we have a gun shop up here. 

Most of them have the little C02 soda bottle cannisters. Mines a but like that. BBs go anywhere but straight. If it is a soda cannister (likely) the handle grip on one side will slide down or pivot off to the side. If its fillable from a gas can should have a valve under the grip stock where the mag goes in or on the mag

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Most of them have the little C02 soda bottle cannisters. Mines a but like that. BBs go anywhere but straight. If it is a soda cannister (likely) the handle grip on one side will slide down or pivot off to the side. If its fillable from a gas can should have a valve under the grip stock where the mag goes in or on the mag

BB's goes straight in my Tokyo Marui gun. ????

The calculations on projectory can be adjusted on how far you shoot my gun and it is set at 25 metres from stock.

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

Internet will sort it for finding a gun shop. 

Whether you need or want to travel to sort your bb hand gun out is up to you. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 1:09 PM, Kwasaki said:

Yeah I will get glass next I never saw them at first so grabbed the steel ones and they have kept well in doors no rust so far. 

Was reading a bit more on these air soft pistols and without exception seems to be not recommended at all to use steel BBs. Looks like a lot of the barrels on these things aluminum or allow and the steel BBs tear them up. Thats a bummer ???? 

On 9/21/2022 at 6:40 PM, SidJames said:

He came with the ingenious idea of half filling a condom with dried chile powder & sticking a lite banger in then firing it into the air over their heads with a catapult.

Just make sure you don't get confused and use the wrong one for yourself.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Was reading a bit more on these air soft pistols and without exception seems to be not recommended at all to use steel BBs. Looks like a lot of the barrels on these things aluminum or allow and the steel BBs tear them up. Thats a bummer ???? 

Yeah but the TM barrel is not aluminium but over time will wear, that's why I make sure it's oiled when using the steel. 

I will get the glass ones next. 

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah but the TM barrel is not aluminium but over time will wear, that's why I make sure it's oiled when using the steel. 

I will get the glass ones next. 

I am ok if I can use steel sometimes. Just targets etc plastic / glass ok. But thought steel would be good to have for dogs, home security etc

I dont know how old this Kid is, but Children under the age of criminal responsibility, whether instructed by their Parents or others what to do with a Gun safely, should have the thing taken from them and destroyed.

OK, its only a BB gun you say, but its very easy to wound another person seriously with this thing, so making them criminally responsible for their actions is correct.

Allowing this child to have the weapon, is asking for problems down the line.

BTW, Me, I was a NSRA Club Instructor in the UK for many years, so I maybe just have a little more knowledge of Gun issues than some of you.

34 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

I dont know how old this Kid is, but Children under the age of criminal responsibility, whether instructed by their Parents or others what to do with a Gun safely, should have the thing taken from them and destroyed.

OK, its only a BB gun you say, but its very easy to wound another person seriously with this thing, so making them criminally responsible for their actions is correct.

Allowing this child to have the weapon, is asking for problems down the line.

BTW, Me, I was a NSRA Club Instructor in the UK for many years, so I maybe just have a little more knowledge of Gun issues than some of you.

No matter what you know about guns this is Thailand and bb guns are legal to own so take your western knowledge and your western ideas a flig off. 

Edited by Kwasaki