Is driving at a young age legal in Thailand?

Louis slade

Is it legal for a 13 year old to drive 1000cc in Thailand? < Invalid link removed >

Edited by metisdead
26. You will not post links that do not lead to the website the link indicates. Links that are misleading or redirect to a site different than the one indicated are not allowed. Shortened versions of URLs and affiliate links are not permitted.

25 minutes ago, BonnieandClyde said:

As kids growing up in semi-rural New York State we drove whatever we could in fields and back roads - anywhere but near towns where we might encounter cops.

It seems to be the same with young people here too.

Except in Thailand it makes no difference if you encounter cops or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

In Thailand, there is no law until here is a law.

In this case, a 13 year old riding a 1000cc motorcycle - its not illegal, until its illegal....

Yes.. thats somewhat cryptic - but what I mean by that is:

He will be able to ride the motorcycle for the most part without any issues or hassles from the police until he kills someone or himself.. then it will be because he was riding illegally. 

A 13 year old on a 1 litre bike is perhaps one of the most stupid road abuses possible - statistically his life expectancy would be extremely low with a high probability of him not making it to his 20’s.

10 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Being underage the parent are responsible and therefore liable.

Absolutely agree.... But rarely are the parents ever held accountable, responsible or liable for the actions of their children.

The absolute and utter ineffectively of law enforcement simply enables these behaviours such as young kids on motorcycles.

14 minutes ago, transam said:
47 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Being underage the parent are responsible and therefore liable.

Where did you read that...............????.....................????

It begs a legal question about Thailand Criminal Code.

Can parents be held accountable and legal responsible for the actions of their child (and until what age) ?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

A 13 year old on a 1 litre bike is perhaps one of the most stupid road abuses possible - statistically his life expectancy would be extremely low with a high probability of him not making it to his 20’s.

No bigly.

Re-incarnation in 7-10 days.

54 minutes ago, transam said:

Where did you read that

Standard law practice around the world. Known as 'parental reasonability'. Google is yer friend.

And as a side thought. 

Section 1563. Children are bound to maintain their parents.

https://www.thailandlawonline.com/thai-family-and-marriage-law/civil-law-parentage-right-and-duties-parent-and-child

Edited by IvorBiggun2

14 hours ago, LS24 said:

There is a difference between what is law and whether or not that law is upheld by the police. What you may have observed or heard is a situation where a police officer or officers had not held citizens accountable. That does not mean that there is no law relating to the act in question.

Thailand has a zillion laws that are not policed anywhere in LOS.

Kids all over Thailand ride to school on mums bike, many die, nobody cares. 

Plus, I don't think you know what goes on behind the scenes regarding prosecutions....????

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 9:12 AM, transam said:

Thailand has a zillion laws that are not policed anywhere in LOS.

Kids all over Thailand ride to school on mums bike, many die, nobody cares. 

Plus, I don't think you know what goes on behind the scenes regarding prosecutions....????

Again, you have given example of the law not being adhered to. Which is very different to having no law.

And what exactly makes you think that I don't know what goes on 'behind the scenes"? Is it because I don't have 10,000 posts on Thai Visa / Asean? An ex partner worked for NACC. I heard enough of her and her colleague's shop talk to get a bit of a peak "behind the scenes".

2 minutes ago, LS24 said:

Again, you have given example of the law not being adhered to. Which is very different to having no law.

And what exactly makes you think that I don't know what goes on 'behind the scenes"? Is it because I don't have 10,000 posts on Thai Visa / Asean? An ex partner worked for NACC. I heard enough of her and her colleague's shop talk to get a bit of a peak "behind the scenes".

Good for you.....:clap2:

As for your post count, I couldn't give a toss.....:saai:

On 9/25/2022 at 11:49 AM, richard_smith237 said:

It's comes under the heading of population control.

19 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

It comes under the heading of parental control. Blame the parent who condone it.

Out where I live a lot of the parents are picked up about 5:30/6:00 in the morning to work in fields or local factories, not getting home until 12/13 hours later. What the kids get up to in the meantime they have no knowledge, and nobody will tell the parents as it may cause problems for interfering in their families lives.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1