Number of psychiatric patients suffering from marijuana use appears to be increasing after decriminalization, Thai psychiatric hospital reports

webfact

1 hour ago, alyx said:

Kind of far farfetched, isn't ?  Surely that would have made the headlines in the rest of the world....years ago, if marijuana was that dangerous

It happened in countries where psychiatric health issues were not so obvious, USA, Canada etc. 

• Like 2

I guess that now the use marijuana have been decriminalised, i suppose that many people who never used now thinks that it is ok to use, and many of them new users don't know what to expect or should not use for a various of health reasons and this is how you get the explosion of cases where people needed Psychiatric care or attention...

• Like 2

A rather premature report.  Its far too early since decriminalization to come to any conclusions on mental health impacts in LOS.  I'm sure that there will be some, as it's an insidious drug and it can clearly be harmful for frequent users, but give it a good while before drawing any firm conclusions.  There are plenty of Worldwide studies that can be used as base data.   

Edited by Doctor Tom

Maybe those smokers that are in denial (all of them?) should search

'mental health issues from smoking cannabis'

Many medical and government bodies are in agreement that there is a connection - especially in younger people. More studies are under way. Previous studies say that there is a connection

There are also studies re the long term affects on the lungs. These have never been looked into before because those that smoke it think that it is safe.

Sucking anything into your lungs is not safe! Tobacco is not the only killer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have heard the word used in relation to marijuana before by people who know very well.... but they added it does not produce chemical dependency, like nicotine, but more a social/mental addiction....a form of dependence. Not sure how you see that, but as I am not a user I am not really qualified to know. 

By that definition anything can be addictive, sex, video games, chocolate, yoga, etc. But the point is that marijuana does not create a physical dependency in the way that, say, that alcohol or opiates do. If they've seen only 103 patients, you have to figure that marijuana isn't the cause but the psychological state of the patients.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Maybe those smokers that are in denial (all of them?) should search

'mental health issues from smoking cannabis'

Many medical and government bodies are in agreement that there is a connection - especially in younger people. More studies are under way. Previous studies say that there is a connection

There are also studies re the long term affects on the lungs. These have never been looked into before because those that smoke it think that it is safe.

Sucking anything into your lungs is not safe! Tobacco is not the only killer.

When people smoke tobacco, they're usually smoking 20 or 30 cigarettes a day or more. Marijuana users are more likely to smoke 1 or 2 joints if that. When marijuana was first liberalized here, I bought 10 grams and smoked nearly every day for a week. Then I stopped with no trouble at all. And I have no desire to continue smoking either.

• Like 1