Jump to content

Pound slumps to all-time low against dollar


webfact
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 9/29/2022 at 6:02 PM, BritManToo said:

Name a western country that produces more than it consumes?

Germany has a positive trade balance of ~$274 billion. There are many non-Western countries with positive trade balance.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Advocate said:

Germany has a positive trade balance of ~$274 billion. There are many non-Western countries with positive trade balance.

German trade balance pushed into deficit as exports fall

 

In total, Germany exported goods worth €125.8bn and imported goods worth £126.7bn, giving it a trade deficit of €1.0bn compared

 

https://www.sharecast.com/news/international-economic/german-trade-balance-pushed-into-deficit-as-exports-fall--10111888.html

 

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2022 at 3:08 AM, realfunster said:

It's a shame Blair, as the most successful Labour leader of the last 50 years, ultimately left a tarnished legacy of himself and his party for the longer-term, which ironically, in cannibalistic fashion, was gleefully supported, rather than rebutted, by certain elements of the Labour Party.

I was working for the NHS in London during the Blair years and with two huge majority election successes he could have done wonderful things for Britain, but he blew it entirely with his unconditional support for GW Bush in the Iraq war.

I felt quite sad that the British public was so ill served  when it could have been brilliant instead.

Of course, things were not helped by Gordon wasting 6 billion quid by giving it to the NHS, apparently without oversight to ensure it was spent to improve the service.

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

German trade balance pushed into deficit as exports fall

 

In total, Germany exported goods worth €125.8bn and imported goods worth £126.7bn, giving it a trade deficit of €1.0bn compared

 

https://www.sharecast.com/news/international-economic/german-trade-balance-pushed-into-deficit-as-exports-fall--10111888.html

 

Whataboutary.

 

Nobody in the UK struggling to afford regular meals, pay bills or keep a roof over their head gives a fig about Germany.

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Indeed. With such a huge majority and feel good feeling after the Tory years he had a fantastic opportunity. 

 

I voted for him and really felt like something magical was about to happen. I remember the celebration party at Uni, Oasis/Blur etc. blaring out, everyone elated that Labour had ousted the Tories.

 

Then he teamed up with Bush for the illegal war based on WMD lies to sacrifice the lives of British soldiers to destabilise the Middle East for his own personal ambitions. 

 

To say I was disappointed would be a huge understatement. It really opened my eyes to the hypocrisy and lies of the left and Labour in particular.

 

Never again.

Did you bother to check which MPs voted to support that war and which voted against?

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Parliamentary_approval_for_the_invasion_of_Iraq

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul Krugman, the economist who was the pioneer in studying currency crises and has condemned the Truss economic policy, actually believes that the pound isn't in danger of collapsing. And he wrote this before the pound's recovery. Here is a link to his tweets on the subject

 

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Whataboutary.

 

Nobody in the UK struggling to afford regular meals, pay bills or keep a roof over their head gives a fig about Germany.

Advocate posted some out of date incorrect info and I replied with the correct up date  info , so, not "whataboutary" at all 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Whataboutary.

 

Nobody in the UK struggling to afford regular meals, pay bills or keep a roof over their head gives a fig about Germany.

Such is life, the same can happen in any country, and it has, the UK is no different, though you seem to think it is only the UK....WRONG.....🥴

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Did you bother to check which MPs voted to support that war and which voted against?

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Parliamentary_approval_for_the_invasion_of_Iraq

 

Under the direction of the leader at the time, with his input from Mr. Bush.

Of course we now know that your Tony was BS-ing, it was the Labour leader with all the back-room info laying it on the line, pointless you trying to move the goal posts in to your favour.............

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Paul Krugman, the economist who was the pioneer in studying currency crises and has condemned the Truss economic policy, actually believes that the pound isn't in danger of collapsing. And he wrote this before the pound's recovery. Here is a link to his tweets on the subject

 

Is he British.....?

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, transam said:

Such is life, the same can happen in any country, and it has, the UK is no different, though you seem to think it is only the UK....WRONG.....🥴

I’m sticking to topic, Sterling being the currency of the UK.

 

  • Love It 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

It may come as a surprsie to youo to learn that not all winners of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics are British.

Nobel Prize winner, I wasn't asking about his medals, I asked if he was British...Oh, never mind..............🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m sticking to topic, Sterling being the currency of the UK.

 

I was replying to your link post........................Now come on...........😉

Edited by transam
Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, transam said:

Such is life, the same can happen in any country, and it has, the UK is no different, though you seem to think it is only the UK....WRONG.....🥴

Read the op, it is only the UK 

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, transam said:

Such is life, the same can happen in any country, and it has, the UK is no different, though you seem to think it is only the UK....WRONG.....🥴

 

Perhaps it is time to re-read the OP:

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, transam said:

Nobel Prize winner, I wasn't asking about his medals, I asked if he was British...Oh, never mind..............🙄

Will you doubt his conclusions if he's not British?

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Read the op, it is only the UK 

Well yes, its just in the UK that the Pound slumped against the Dollar, that's because the UK is the only Country that uses the GBP as its currency 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Will you doubt his conclusions if he's not British?

Probably....

I have been told it is a "British" thread, seems my posts are not 100% British stuff. So yes, I will ignore outside blagg from others on the subject...  😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well yes, its just in the UK that the Pound slumped against the Dollar, that's because the UK is the only Country that uses the GBP as its currency 

See also this topic, 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1273457-uk-is-only-g7-country-with-smaller-economy-than-before-covid-19/

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Yes, I already saw it , although I didn't bother opening it and reading it and I wont be opening or reading it now that you've posted a link to it 

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well yes, its just in the UK that the Pound slumped against the Dollar, that's because the UK is the only Country that uses the GBP as its currency 

And the pond slumped immediately as a direct reaction to the Government’s unfunded tax cuts.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, I already saw it , although I didn't bother opening it and reading it and I wont be opening or reading it now that you've posted a link to it 

Sure, ignore and hope it goes away.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I don't think that me  reading a thread on ASEANOW will make the UK's economy improve 

No, but you'd be aware. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...