Cancellation of NON-ED extension before applying for NON-B 90 days

Hello everyone,

I was granted a NON-ED visa many years ago for the purpose of studying full time in Thailand.

Since then it has been extended on a yearly basis.

Now I am going to work and apply soon for a 90 day NON-B at Thai Embassy in order to get a work permit.

Question now, do I need to cancel my extension formally or just don't do a re-entry permit before leaving the country?

Thank you and best regards

You should cancel your extension before leaving the country to avoid possible problems later.

You will need a letter from the school stating the day your studies end to do the cancelation. 

Immigration will post date the cancelation if you go before the day on the letter to give you time to leave the country.

• Thanks 1

Thanks ubonjoe. Very helpful. 

Two additional questions:

1.) My extension expires 28 October. When should I contact the school / go to immigration to cancel the extension. Is there a certain period that I can use between cancellation and leaving the country? 

2.) As stated, my extension ends at 28 October but the last semester term that I was enrolled ended already in August. Will I get in any troubles? Referring to question 1, should I try to ask the university to use a closer date to end of my extension or for example just let them write, that I have finished my studies last semester and no longer a student without mentioning a certain date?

1. It does not matter when you can cancel your extension. On the day it is canceled you have to leave the country. Get the letter a week or so before you plan on leavening and ask for it dated for the date you are leavening or after so that immigration will date the cancelation on the day your leave or after.

2. Immigration will not know about that so it is not a issue.

• Thanks 1