Along the Chao Prayah - Best non-touristy places to visit

Baron Samedi

Hi guys ! ????

Went in the Wat Arun / Wat Pho area today.

Didn't like it. Too touristy.

Gonna give the Chao Prayah Sky Park a try tomorrow or something.

What are some nice places to visit along the Chao Prayah with low tourism-related activity ?

Feel free to share your tips !

Thanks ????

59 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Have you been into the lower level of iconsiam ?

Great food, nice to browse around.

Upper floor, starbucks has great views over the river and city.

No I haven't.

Just had a look on Google Maps.

Seems like it's an easy enough area to reach.

Thanks, Charlie ????

Prannok (N10) Pier, used to known as WangLang pier, do to the area, and market behind it.  Fairly extensive and some fine vendors.  Though been quite some time since visited. 

Left of the pier, when getting off boat, was small riverside vendor/restaurant, great for people watching a munch and some sipping.  Used to stop there quite a bit when on the river.   Plenty of other vendor, if not still there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A dinner cruise trip is nice if you want to see BKK from a different perspective.  There are quite a few.  Buffet, set menu or a-la-carte. There is usually some commentary although mostly in Thai as these cruises cater to mostly Thais.  Two hours although length varies as does price.  See https://www.viator.com/Bangkok-tours/Cruises-Sailing-and-Water-Tours/d343-g3 for a selection.

Gonna give the Chao Prayah Sky Park a try tomorrow or something.

Yeah, I liked the sound of that but honestly it is really disappointing, nothing like what I expected.  It is basically a concrete bridge with a few plants on it.

However, from there you can walk to Ong Ang which is really cool in the late afternoon.  Really nicely restored area of Chinatown, lots of food (Thai, Indian), street art, really nice vibe.  You might see some tourists there but not many, and it is cool.

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/03/award-winning-khlong-ong-ang-walking-street-isnt-your-average-walking-street/

The blue line (MRT) also has nice views along the river for a few stops.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

honestly it is really disappointing, nothing like what I expected.

You are right. It was indeed a disappointment.

"Sky Garden" I was imagining something more grandiose.

A shame really but that's life ????

I'm headed to Chinatown soon so will check out Ong Ang. Thanks !

Check out Bangkok Pat on YouTube, he's a London raised half Thai chap, and his speciality is historic videos, including of the lesser known parts of Bangkok, maybe ask him if you can go on a video day-trip with him up the river? 

At any rate, his videos are well worth subscribing to, a real cut above the usual Pattaya and Nana shillfests. 

Here's his latest

https://youtu.be/wfm-R-sByLg

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Really nicely restored area of Chinatown, lots of food (Thai, Indian), street art, really nice vibe.  You might see some tourists there but not many, and it is cool.

I've been there today. Great walk indeed. Street art is actually pretty good.

So much better than Sukhumvit honestly.

The rest of Chinatown was also very pleasant but not as relaxed.

Super busy area.

Thanks for the tip, Joseph ????

• Like 2

On 10/1/2022 at 9:54 AM, chalawaan said:

Check out Bangkok Pat on YouTube, he's a London raised half Thai chap, and his speciality is historic videos, including of the lesser known parts of Bangkok, maybe ask him if you can go on a video day-trip with him up the river? 

At any rate, his videos are well worth subscribing to, a real cut above the usual Pattaya and Nana shillfests. 

Here's his latest

https://youtu.be/wfm-R-sByLg

Very unexciting. Makes the place seem boring.

On 10/2/2022 at 1:51 PM, Sparktrader said:

Very unexciting. Makes the place seem boring.

Let's be honest, what's exciting about shabby markets, museums, temples, traffic jams, and palaces? This sums up Bangkok by day for the average farang. 

Pat's not the average bar crawler, and his style may not be for you, but I learnt more from his work than all of the fat, bald, Chang-branded nightwalkers put together. ????

He uniquely sees it all from both angles too as a Brit with a Thai mother. 

Edited by chalawaan
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, chalawaan said:

Let's be honest, what's exciting about shabby markets, museums, temples, traffic jams, and palaces? This sums up Bangkok by day for the average farang. 

Pat's not the average bar crawler, and his style may not be for you, but I learnt more from his work than all of the fat, bald, Chang-branded nightwalkers put together. ????

He uniquely sees it all from both angles too as a Brit with a Thai mother. 

does he bang on about the totally amaaaaazing street food that turns out to be a simple 40 baht pad krapow? ????