Changed passport since Thai marriage - any issue for extension?

Hi all,

Preparing for my Extension of Stay based on Marriage at CW.

Have done many before so I'm all clear on most things but had a question come up.

I'm preparing my marriage certificate copies (was married in Thailand to a Thai National) and realise that on the back the field where they usually put the Thai ID card has my passport number, which has always been fine, however I have recently updated my passport for the first time since I was married (I still have the old passport, I have already transferred stamps to the new one at CW).

As my wife's Thai ID card number on the back is also "old" and it's never been an issue I doubt it's any problem BUT my experience tells me it's better to check first!

Anyone been through the same thing without any issues?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, jimmiejackson said:

As my wife's Thai ID card number on the back is also "old" and it's never been an issue

Thai national ID number never changes, it stays the same once granted at birth.

1 hour ago, jimmiejackson said:

Anyone been through the same thing without any issues?

Yes, I changed 2 Passports after marriage, never a problem.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Thai national ID number never changes, it stays the same once granted at birth.

Yes, I changed 2 Passports after marriage, never a problem.

Authotities, banks etc., in all countries know that passports expire and for many things it's just a simple action to update the pasport numbers with no hassles. Not long back K Bank (at the branch) mentioned that my passport had expires. The officer asked me if I had the new p'port number and also sked if I had a pink card. I showed her my pink card and she used that for the update. She mentioned that the bank prefers to us the Thai pink card ID number, the number never needs updating. 

Thai ID cards (Thai citizens) do have an expiry date and should be renewed promptly however the ID number never changes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I needed to change to the new passport number at Bangkok Bank. Had to write my signature at least 15 times! I did that at the same time I got the bank letter CW wants. 

I still not have the pink ID card. When having that I will check if Bangkok bank can use that number instead as it never changes.

2 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

You need to get the Yellow House Book first and if your over 60 your pink card does not have an expiry date either, so no need to renew.

Great, thanks. I am "on" the the yellow house book at the moment.

19 hours ago, jimmiejackson said:

I have recently updated my passport for the first time since I was married (I still have the old passport, I have already transferred stamps to the new one at CW).

Remember to change your passport number everywhere it's used for identification, especially bank accounts, remember all bankbooks and both passports - Bangkok Bank might also need to change your bankbooks, as they are paired with your old passport number - furthermore your Driver's License might have your passport number, if you don't have a Thai ID-number, so it's advisable to get that changed also (costs about 200 baht). Furthermore loyalty cards might be linked to passport number - for exeampel Central's "The 1"-card, so if you need to get loyalty discount some shops might ask for your ID, i.e. your passport, and if that don't fit the card, no discount; so best do it all in one go...????

45 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Remember to change your passport number everywhere it's used for identification, especially bank accounts, remember all bankbooks and both passports - Bangkok Bank might also need to change your bankbooks, as they are paired with your old passport number - furthermore your Driver's License might have your passport number, if you don't have a Thai ID-number, so it's advisable to get that changed also (costs about 200 baht). Furthermore loyalty cards might be linked to passport number - for exeampel Central's "The 1"-card, so if you need to get loyalty discount some shops might ask for your ID, i.e. your passport, and if that don't fit the card, no discount; so best do it all in one go...????

No need to change bankbooks. None of the big banks have linked the account number to the passport number. The driving licenses can be changed with the next renewal (the number of the old passport is in the transfer stamps of the new one.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, khunPer said:

furthermore your Driver's License might have your passport number, if you don't have a Thai ID-number, so it's advisable to get that changed also

Attempted to use Pink Card at my last renewal, my local DLT said "not possible for farang must be Passport Number".

Have 5 years left on DL, passport 6 years, so will have to renew DL then again 1 year later to change passport number, unless they change their mind.

On 9/28/2022 at 10:17 AM, swissbie said:

No need to change bankbooks. None of the big banks have linked the account number to the passport number. The driving licenses can be changed with the next renewal (the number of the old passport is in the transfer stamps of the new one.

Wrong, you cannot show ID when required in the bank, if your passport is not the same as registered, if not changed within the last few years; I talk from experience. Try it yourself and post a feedback...????

5 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Attempted to use Pink Card at my last renewal, my local DLT said "not possible for farang must be Passport Number".

Have 5 years left on DL, passport 6 years, so will have to renew DL then again 1 year later to change passport number, unless they change their mind.

Might be different in different Land Transport Offices, I can only use Thai ID, as I have a Yellow House Book registration as address verification and pink ID-card...????

18 hours ago, khunPer said:

Might be different in different Land Transport Offices, I can only use Thai ID, as I have a Yellow House Book registration as address verification and pink ID-card...????

I've been in the House Book since 2001, and using it for address verification since 2005 and had a Pink Card since about 2017 (wouldn't issue them here unless you had a work permit).

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 11:28 AM, hotandsticky said:

Marginally off topic, but remember that marriage invalidates any existing Wills. 

Really, can you share something which supports your comment. Thanks.

Ultimately a will is the expression of the personal wishes of the person making the will. 

In Thailand if a person dies without making a will (dies intestate) then there are national laws which dictate how the assets must be shared and that includes what 'share' the wife or husband and the children are entitled to by law*.

However if the deceased person has made a valid will then the law (mention paragraph just above) are not relevant.

What is valid is (if the person has made a valid will before their death) the personal wishes of the deceased person as specifically detailed in their will, and this is not / cannot be influenced by the 'died intestate - no will' laws (paragraph above marked *). 

Edited by scorecard

On 9/28/2022 at 11:24 AM, Captor said:

I needed to change to the new passport number at Bangkok Bank. Had to write my signature at least 15 times! I did that at the same time I got the bank letter CW wants. 

I still not have the pink ID card. When having that I will check if Bangkok bank can use that number instead as it never changes.

I can share that they actually prefer to use the ID number on your pink card, if you have one.

Banks, like all businesses, are focused on reducing/mimimizing costs.

Every time they do an update in their records there's costs:

- Staff - salaries etc., cost

- IT costs - every entry has an IT processing cost (buying, installing, upgrading, maintain their IT systems is not free.)  

- Every time they update your/my passport number that incurs costs (above).

- If they use the pink card number these costs are minimized (it's a once only IT processing cost), when there's hundreds of thousands / million of accounts, these costs add up to large amount of money.

54 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I can share that they actually prefer to use the ID number on your pink card, if you have one.

Banks, like all businesses, are focused on reducing/mimimizing costs.

Every time they do an update in their records there's costs:

- Staff - salaries etc., cost

- IT costs - every entry has an IT processing cost (buying, installing, upgrading, maintain their IT systems is not free.)  

- Every time they update your/my passport number that incurs costs (above).

- If they use the pink card number these costs are minimized (it's a once only IT processing cost), when there's hundreds of thousands / million of accounts, these costs add up to large amount of money.

Thanks all for your comments. I am going to fix a pink ID-card and then tie that to my bank account for sure.

Less hassle and also easy to forget if having changed passport,

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Are you eligible to receive a pink Thai ID card?

I think so. I am married and working on getting my name in the Yellow Tabian Ban. My wife has the blue Tabian ban. I also want to convert my driving license after that.

I think that is all. I also have a legalized letter from my embassy (Swe) stating my address and passport.

We are waiting for that letter now coming back translated and legalized from Immigration.

On 9/29/2022 at 3:24 PM, khunPer said:

Wrong, you cannot show ID when required in the bank, if your passport is not the same as registered, if not changed within the last few years; I talk from experience. Try it yourself and post a feedback...????

Have you tried it? 10 years ago, i changed a passport and went to the bank. There they had some problems, because 20 years ago, i forgot to inform them about the change. They still had the passport number from 30 years ago - i never had a problem with any bank transactions or the bank information for the immigration..

21 hours ago, swissbie said:

Have you tried it? 10 years ago, i changed a passport and went to the bank. There they had some problems, because 20 years ago, i forgot to inform them about the change. They still had the passport number from 30 years ago - i never had a problem with any bank transactions or the bank information for the immigration..

Yes, both in bank and with loyalty card...????

On 9/29/2022 at 3:24 PM, khunPer said:

I also talk from experience and its the opposite of yours. Passport number did not matter.

Probably varies from different banks, branches etc.

I was actually worried about this when i did a withdrawal from my SCB account a few days ago. So i also brought the old passport i used when opening the account with me just in case. They did not ask for it.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 11:39 AM, scorecard said:

Really, can you share something which supports your comment. Thanks.

Ultimately a will is the expression of the personal wishes of the person making the will. 

In Thailand if a person dies without making a will (dies intestate) then there are national laws which dictate how the assets must be shared and that includes what 'share' the wife or husband and the children are entitled to by law*.

However if the deceased person has made a valid will then the law (mention paragraph just above) are not relevant.

What is valid is (if the person has made a valid will before their death) the personal wishes of the deceased person as specifically detailed in their will, and this is not / cannot be influenced by the 'died intestate - no will' laws (paragraph above marked *). 

I asked my well trusted Thai lawyer, she and her lawyer colleagues have plenty of experience writing wills. Her law & accounting company is the preferred law/accounting company for quite a list of western businessmen in Thailand. My question to her was "Is it true that under Thai law a will is automatically void/cancelled when a Thai person gets married?

Just got her reply:

"Dear xxxxxxxx

It is not true, as the Will shall be canceled when a person make a new one and mention that the previous will be canceled with the  new Will." 
Edited by scorecard