Security tight at Constitutional Court ahead of Prayut’s premiership term ruling today Friday

webfact

image.png

Thailand’s Constitutional Court and its offices have been declared restricted areas from 7pm Thursday night until 6am on Monday, ahead of the court’s ruling on the 8-year term in office of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Friday afternoon.

Only authorised persons and their vehicles are currently allowed entry to the restricted areas and they are subject to checks by guards.

The security measure was ordered by president of the Constitutional Court, Worawit Kangsasitiam, after they wereinformed by security agencies of potential disturbances related to the court’s ruling.

About 300 police officers will be at the Constitutional Court today (Friday) to maintain peace and order.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/security-tight-at-constitutional-court-ahead-of-prayuts-premiership-term-ruling-today-friday/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-09-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

D-Day arrives for suspended Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha, will Constitutional Court rule that his term limit is reached or not?

By Adam Judd

image.jpeg

After weeks of the Thai Constitutional Court mulling behind the scenes over a challenge by opposition politicians to Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha about his legal term limit, D-Day has arrived.

In short, Prayut Chan-O-Cha was suspended from his duties as Prime Minister on August 24th by the Thai Constitutional Court pending their legal decision on the matter of his term limit. He remained active, however, as Defense Minister.

The opposition believes that Prayut has reached the constitutional term limit of eight years, having taken over power in 2014 after leading a military coup.

The sitting government, however, believes that the current constitution was only ratified in 2017 and made official in terms of Prayut’s role, thus in their opinion they believe Prayut has not reached eight years in power.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/09/29/d-day-arrives-for-suspended-thai-prime-minister-prayut-chan-o-cha-will-constitutional-court-rule-that-his-term-limit-is-reached-or-not/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-09-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

So I couldn't just show up to file a case if I wanted to, I mean if I was a Thai......

I don't see that any farang would have any cause to visit the Thai Constitutional Court, unless of course you would seek to challenge the constitution. ???? 

Edited by 2baht

1 hour ago, 2baht said:

I don't see that any farang would have any cause to visit the Thai Constitutional Court, unless of course you would seek to challenge the constitution. ???? 

Read my post again....never said as a farang

• Thanks 1

#Thailand's suspended PM @prayutofficial

leaving the defence ministry for home where he'll await his fate later today on whether he has exceeded his 8-year maximum term as PM. He has been suspended for 1 month but remains defence minister. Protesters preparing to gather.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1575726179432005632

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

#Thailand's suspended PM @prayutofficial

leaving the defence ministry for home where he'll await his fate later today on whether he has exceeded his 8-year maximum term as PM. He has been suspended for 1 month but remains defence minister. Protesters preparing to gather.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1575726179432005632

Will he be waiting or starting to pack his things....he more than likely already knows one way or another.

• Like 1

Breaking News - The Verdict (as most of us expected)

Thailand's Constitutional Court on Friday ruled Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha had not exceeded the maximum eight years allowed in the post, paving the way for his likely return from a five-week suspension.

https://www.nationthailand.com/pr-news/thailand/politics/40020586

Evidently his tenure will end in 2025.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

The military is no longer in charge.  It is just one person and if you don't know who that is you are hopelessly ill informed.

I believe you are correct.  There is little in his background to suggest intelligence and application.  Who are his advisors I wonder?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

you are hopelessly ill informed.

????Funny you..But, you didn’t understood my point and, obviously,  I won't be the one to tell you who has the controls and power of the Generals and the weapons over “the politicians”. Read and learn before you underestimate my comment.

Edited by Tarteso

1 hour ago, greeneking said:

I believe you are correct.  There is little in his background to suggest intelligence and application.  Who are his advisors I wonder?

I wonder if they wear green uniforms with lots of medals and stars on their epaulettes?

• Haha 1