Putting objects in the road to stop people parking is illegal, govt warns

webfact

24 minutes ago, overherebc said:

His property?

Wonder where he stole two old traffic cones?

It's someone else's property.

Again, a rationalization, and an attempt at deflection.

I still fail to understand why you would not simply move the cones.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I still fail to understand why you would not simply move the cones.

I think the answer to that one, particularly given some of the responses is fairly obvious...  

.... but, people generally don’t really like to admit that they were behaving like a bit of a ???? !!! so, I suspect you’ll only get further deflection !!! .....  :whistling:

Edited by richard_smith237

5 hours ago, Bernietravelling said:

That won’t help !

Instead of the cans and chairs,

they will just park their <deleted>in motorbikes - or even an old bicycle - in front of the shops …

Which, of course, they're entitled to do. The parking is just as much theirs as yours!

If they're putting their own vehicle in that space, there's really nothing for us to complain about, is there? A parking space is being used for parking! (And how could we possibly know whose  car or motorcycle it is, anyway?

----------------

In my experience, the people who do this aren't  trying to preserve a space on front of their business for their own customers!

Why?

Because the space blocked-off with chairs and bins! It is no more available for their own customers to use.......... than it is for you and me! It's BLOCKED! ????

No, generally, what their goal is is to have the space available for when their own car or truck returns............ or......... it's to leave a space blocked out for when an expected delivery truck arrives.

---------------

I guess I'm guilty of being a little annoyed by it, too, just like everyone else seems to be.

"Hey, I coulda parked THERE!"

But then I bring myself back down to earth by reminding myself...........

Had there been a car or motorcycle in that space instead of chairs and bins........... I wouldn't have given it a second thought! It's really no different than any other OCCUPIED space!

I'd've just moved on to the next one!

"Hmmph! But it's against the law!"

Yeah, okay. So what?

Maybe I can be generous enough to believe they may have a good reason for it........... rather than being so impatient that I insist on having "This space, right here, right now!"

Maybe?

------------

(Then again.........

Half of a potential 10,000 baht fine as a bounty? As someone said upthread, this could be quite the money-maker.......... er.......... as long as you make a point of doing it a town or two away! [Hmmm. Bo Phloi is about 30km away and has at least 3 "market days" each week! Hmmm?] ???? )

One time we pulled up and parked our car outside a small private shop that we were going into to buy an expensive beautiful wooded carved spirit house.  

As we were getting out of the car the women owner came rushing out, waving her arms about and yelling at is that we were not allowed to park there.  She was really mad and rude and did not give us a chance to explain we were customers! 

We just got back in the car and drove off. She lost a good sale!  

Another time we had another irate little old lady scouting at us to not park outside her shop (we wanted to buy take home food at a restaurant 2 doors down).  She made us keep moving half way between her and the next door shop to park.  That was ok with us. 

After no more the. 20 minutes we came back to get in the car and found either her or the other shop owner had make a deep scratch all the way down the side of our car...from the front to the back.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2022 at 11:46 AM, petermik said:

Everyone knows this...nobody takes any notice though ????

You mean you push the object away, or get out and move it? I have got into quite a brouhaha doing that in the past.  

On 9/30/2022 at 1:37 PM, giddyup said:

Who are you going to point to if you find nails in your tyres or your car has been keyed down the side? You might suspect the shop owner, but proving it might prove difficult.

I leave my front and rear cameras on, but it would still be problematic for sure. Like I said, I don't do it often, and would not be gone far or for long...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DualSportBiker said:

I leave my front and rear cameras on, but it would still be problematic for sure. Like I said, I don't do it often, and would not be gone far or for long...

Its a good point... How many of us have a ‘power magic’ on our motorcycles / cars so that the cams record in parking mode (without draining the battery) ???

On 10/2/2022 at 10:15 PM, jak2002003 said:

After no more the. 20 minutes we came back to get in the car and found either her or the other shop owner had make a deep scratch all the way down the side of our car...from the front to the back.

I'd be checking all the nearby shops and businesses to see if they had CCTV coverage.... 

When people behave like this, they deserve to get caught and deserve everything coming to them.

--------------------

I recall years ago parking near a restaurant....  some homeless looking guy came up an asked for ‘parking money’...   the girl I was with at the time refused to give him money, when we returned to her car the tyre was flat....   

... was it the guy ?... quite likely. 

Since then, whenever parking on the street and someone comes up and asks for parking money for them to ‘watch over the car', its usually only 20 baht etc... its not money for them to watch over the car, its money for them not to scratch it or knife the tires. 

I can’t believe people are not tempted to set up a ‘sting’ to catch these guys out - Especially the police who know what happens, but just don’t care. 

It would be a good idea to get some sort of 360 degree parking cam that we can just turn on and runs off a battery for a couple of hours...  (as the normal dash cams don’t have 360 coverage).

Edited by richard_smith237

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:
On 9/30/2022 at 8:15 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I pay road tax, this allows me to park on the public road. 

Not all Sois in Bangkok are public????

A somewhat irrelevant point... 

I think we can safely assume that all the soi’s with an exception of a minute few are public roads....

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its a good point... How many of us have a ‘power magic’ on our motorcycles / cars so that the cams record in parking mode (without draining the battery) ???

How much power do you think a dash cam uses? You could leave it on for a couple hours and it would not dent the battery's ability to start your engine. I turn the screen off to reduce consumption, but mainly so it being on is not discernible. I have two cigarette lighter sockets, one via a relay that needs the engine on, and one direct to the battery. The joys of having an old car you can cut holes in and futz with as needed...