Putting objects in the road to stop people parking is illegal, govt warns

webfact

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

What's your choice if it's clear when you park and then find cones or chairs in front of and behind your car when you come back.

Abandon your vehicle and get a taxi home?

If you are seriously struggling with this issued and believe your only option is to ‘drive over the cones’ I’d question what you are doing behind the wheel of a car in the first place !!!... 

Of course, no one is that stupid...   so its obvious you simply reacted in escalation rather than simply moving the cones - driving over the cones is rather a ????end move... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

I usually see the obstacles in the parking spaces in front of street vendors' carts. They block the spaces so their customers, usually on motorcycles have a place to park. Perhaps they fear if customers cannot find a parking space close by, they will simply go to another shop. I find this less inconvenient than all the cars that double park or park close to intersections so you cannot see the traffic coming through the intersection.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Who are you going to point to if you find nails in your tyres or your car has been keyed down the side? You might suspect the shop owner, but proving it might prove difficult.

If they keyed my pick up down the side it would be hard to see among the other scratches and dents.

• Haha 1

Have encountered this twice now. Once in Mae Rim and once in Fang. Shop owner was giving me a gob full on both occasions and on both occasions threatened to damage my car if I didn't move Got my wife to tell them that it was public parking and they could not legally stop me from parking in front of their shops. Both threatened to call the police and we told them go ahead as they were the ones acting illegally. The police turned up both times and had no idea that the shop owners were acting illegally. However, when my wife's 10 year old nephew piped up and told the police that it was public parking and it was illegal to prevent anyone from parking there the police suddenly changed their minds from anti farang stance to making the shop owners remove the obstacles they had put on the road. My wife also advised the police that the shop owners threatened to damage the car if it wasn't moved for which they both received on the spot fines. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In other news: Person got beaten up because he removed a parking-reservation-object from the street...

Also good about scratching your car after you get out of it. Saw a security guard once run a meat cleaver flat side down over every panel on the car. Didn't stick around to see the owner's reaction but can't imagine it was very nice. 

2 hours ago, giddyup said:
3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Parked my pick up and came back to find a traffic cone at the front and rear ( in line with the wheels) Reversed and flattened one then drove forward and flattened the other. Did check there was nothing inside them first.

Expand  

Next time you might find all four tyres flat and the car keyed, what's your next step of retaliation?

Easy,you leave the car there for 3 days! That way they’ve messed things up for themselves! ???? 

• Like 1

As someone commented in the linked article, this could be a very good income stream. Easy money and plenty of opportunity as it's a common sight. Not much danger to oneself if photographing from across the street, and then off to the police or local office to collect your winnings.

Of course, there is a flaw. You only get the money as part of the fine, and neither the police nor the local office will take any notice and just do the usual, which is nothing. No fine, nothing for you and business as usual. As it always, always is in Thailand.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I remember being in MaeSot years ago... they had the same thing...  cones and stools outside on the road to block people from parking. 

I needed to park... I pulled up and asked a ‘grumpy looking old lady if I could park there for 20 mins.. she smile, moved a cone and stool and I parked’.... surprised the s#it out of me.... 

I guess the issue is for some shophouses etc its the only parking they have for their car etc.

Still annoying, but they have to be able to park somewhere themselves too.

These are the same as the Morons that buy a Country Cottage next to a Church in the UK, and then whine and bitch because the Church bells ring on a Sunday Morning.

Plenty of other places they could ( and should ) have bought a property.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you are seriously struggling with this issued and believe your only option is to ‘drive over the cones’ I’d question what you are doing behind the wheel of a car in the first place !!!... 

Of course, no one is that stupid...   so its obvious you simply reacted in escalation rather than simply moving the cones - driving over the cones is rather a ????end move... 

I don't live in the area, I was stopped in a clear area for 10 minutes and came back to find the cones there, so, if they want to key my pick up they can drive 200 kilometres to find me and do it.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I did it once to annoy the idiot that put them there. According to you I am now condemed for the rest of my life.

You need to relax a bit.

This comes under the heading of fights a farang would be well advised to avoid.  How quickly an argument can escalate and turn into a five on one bloody brawl where the farang is highly unlikely to "win".  Move on. It's not worth the possible consequences to prove you have every right to a parking spot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, overherebc said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

I did it once to annoy the idiot that put them there. According to you I am now condemed for the rest of my life.

You need to relax a bit.

Instead of simply moving them aside, you drove over cones to make a point to the ‘idiot that who put them there’... 

... and you are suggesting I relax a bit ????  :cheesy:

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

These are the same as the Morons that buy a Country Cottage next to a Church in the UK, and then whine and bitch because the Church bells ring on a Sunday Morning.

Plenty of other places they could ( and should ) have bought a property.

Not quite the same...    Parking on Thai streets vs church bells ringing in the UK... a bit of a stretch. 

Not that I’m defending those who ‘defend the space in front of their property’... however, the families have probably owned their house since we before car became so ubiquitous in Thailand...  not the streets are jammed in towns never designed for so much traffic...  I can understand why they would wish to ‘reserve’ the area in front of their house for their own parking. 

As far as those restaurants etc who reserve the parking for customers..  thats a different matter and their behaviour is as discussed entitled ayhole behaviour, but again, I understand why a business would ‘want’ to do that, but agree, the law needs to step in...  

Of course, the law will never step in with any of these cases / examples because it never does in Thailand until there is an incident. 

Cue the next news story: Farang gets beaten up for parking outside a restaurant....  

Farang parks, up, restaurant owner comes out tells him he can’t park there, Farang tells him he can, its the law and he’s within his rights... argument ensues, 5 staff come out and kick the s#it out of the Farang driver....  News reports that its against the law to ‘reserve spaces on the street’....   restaurant owner gives the Farang a wai of apology and pays 500 baht fine to the police !!... 

Asean-now forum is rife with comments that the foreigner would have been awarded 200,000 baht compensation if he was indecently groped on Walking Street !!!!... :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is on a news forum??? Unbelievable!!! This should be on some factual forum buried so deep that only the most interested traffic law geeks can find it !!! 

Is there really nothing happening of any importance whatsoever that this is being posted.....

Heres some breaking news, it you go out in the rain with no umbrella, you could get a wet head and ruin your hairstyle.....

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

Parked my pick up and came back to find a traffic cone at the front and rear ( in line with the wheels) Reversed and flattened one then drove forward and flattened the other. Did check there was nothing inside them first.

That's a little bit ungrateful. There's a kind soul who decided to look after your car while you were away.

They nicely cordoned it off by placing protection and signage around it, so no one would bump into it.

What you do you do in return? Mowing everything down, instead of being happy. ????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

It's like when you go to a food court and they leave their name tags on the table before they go  to order their food. 

I remember a few times in my younger days when I queued in a restaurant for my food then couldn't find an empty table, so I sat down on a seat at another table to be told by someone else there that I was taking someone's seat.

I just replied "yes and that someone is behind me in the queue". No one ever argued.

49 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

This is on a news forum??? Unbelievable!!! This should be on some factual forum buried so deep that only the most interested traffic law geeks can find it !!! 

Is there really nothing happening of any importance whatsoever that this is being posted.....

Heres some breaking news, it you go out in the rain with no umbrella, you could get a wet head and ruin your hairstyle.....

Ever heard of infotainment? ????

haha, i love the juvenile attitude of some people, can happen in other countries but sadly this seems quite common in thailand. it's the same as 'bagging' tables in a crowded restaurant with shopping bags, umbrella, etc. if i have my food and need a seat i sit there, the 'bagger' is free to join me if they want. ????

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jaybott said:

In the USA we have these objects holding parking spots. 

images.jpeg

I saw someone do this the other day in a car park in Bangkok. 

If they want the space that badly they’re welcome to it - there will be more. 

Some people take parking their car as close to the mall entrance way too seriously !!!... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, billsmart said:

I, of course, am for this and hope it's enforced a little more thoroughly. Also, I'd like to see better arrangements made for parking motorbikes so one or two don't take up a car-sized parking space. 

That is exactly what 2 shops do where i need to park near the bakery, both park one motorbike in front of their shops preventing cars from parking, one said'" its my shop" i told him "you don't pay rent for the road. " they still park their motorbikes there.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Drake said:

Wouldn't want to be the person who ratted out people in the village. Life might get a lot tougher.

True, but if they make it anonymous, it will likely work.  In Taiwan it works and has for more than 15 years.  From dripping AC units to motorcycles spewing excessive exhaust or sidewalk driving, there are all kinds of narc lines.  You phone it in and receive a code.  You call back in 15 days, enter your code and it tells if they investigated and if they were fined.  If so, they tell you your 40% (or higher not sure) share of the fine and you enter your bank account # to direct deposit it, finished!!  While living there up until last year,  I never heard of any problems and seems to work if run properly.  But here in Thailand, well, good luck with that as TIT!!!

Edited by mushroomdave