Buying land in my daughter's name

Hi,

I'm going to divorce very soon and get 100% custody of one of my daughters, she is 7 year old. I lost house, land and car so I'm going to be more cautious on my next acquisition. I would like to quickly restart my life and buy a land and build a house.

As I will be the sole guardian of my daughter do I need my ex wife to sign anything if I want to buy a land in my daughter's name?

Edited by Lolothai

1 minute ago, JeffersLos said:

Married or not you can be the legal guardian of the land until the child is a legal adult, it doesn't have to be the Thai parent. 

So when I buy the land and change the chanot name I don't need my ex wife to be involve. I met one owner who is ready to sell by credit but he said that the mother of my daughter has to sign "documents" too, even I'm the legal guardian.

27 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Ask a good lawyer.  And certainly not the one who just handled your divorce.

I won't use a lawyer we will have an uncontested divorce but why it would be a problem to use the same lawyer? and do I need a lawyer to buy a land? how much it usually cost?

I would like to know what are the possibilities before to pay for a lawyer.

Although technically there is no age limit on a Thai Citizen owning land, in reality it will depend on the Land Office if they will allow registration to a minor, they all have different views on this and it is up to their discretion.

Note you cannot lease land from a minor unless authorised by a court. (Section 1574 of the Civil and Commercial Code)

2 hours ago, Lolothai said:

So when I buy the land and change the chanot name I don't need my ex wife to be involve. I met one owner who is ready to sell by credit but he said that the mother of my daughter has to sign "documents" too, even I'm the legal guardian.

You can buy land in your daughters name, but you won't be able to have a mortgage on the land. You will have to pay cash. 

6 hours ago, Lolothai said:

I won't use a lawyer we will have an uncontested divorce but why it would be a problem to use the same lawyer? and do I need a lawyer to buy a land? how much it usually cost?

I would like to know what are the possibilities before to pay for a lawyer.

I think Adumbration means that because you are losing the house, land, and a car in the divorce, he/she assumed that your divorce lawyer didn't do a very good job. Therefore you shouldn't use that lawyer.

It isn't unusual for a foreigner to receive some (50%?) compensation for assets owned during marriage even when it comes to real estate. Of course, if you don't use a lawyer, then it all comes down to what you are willing to agree to with your spouse.

I can't help you in regards to your question of whether the ex-wife is required to sign any documents in order for your daughter to purchase land, but if I remember correctly, this same situation has been posted on this forum in the past and I think one of the threads indicated that the ex-wife didn't need to be involved. You should ask the land office to see what they require and get it in writing. Then take that answer to the seller if the answer is that you don't need the ex-wife's involvement.