Three Phase DIY

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

U mean 3-phase inverters etc?

When it comes to 3-phase in Thailand my advice is always "treat it as 3 x single-phase installations" be it automatic voltage regulators or solar inverters.

The single most common failure on the 3-phase network here is loss of one phase.

A 3-phase AVR or GTI will trip out and you will get zero, if it's 3 x single-phase units two of them will continue to operate.

Isn't 3* usually what PEA would install.

I hope so.

6 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Isn't 3* usually what PEA would install.

I hope so.

Only if you ask for it.

Thailand LV distribution is 3-phase 4-wire, a normal single-phase supply (which >90% of us have) comes from one phase plus the neutral.

Of course, if you have a big place and can't get enough energy from a single-phase supply then request a 3-phase meter and supply. But once past your main breaker still treat it as if its 3 x single-phase supplies.

@carlyai What are you actually trying to do?

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Only if you ask for it.

Thailand LV distribution is 3-phase 4-wire, a normal single-phase supply (which >90% of us have) comes from one phase plus the neutral.

Of course, if you have a big place and can't get enough energy from a single-phase supply then request a 3-phase meter and supply. But once past your main breaker still treat it as if its 3 x single-phase supplies.

I was curious.

I had 3 phase installed.

We've got a pool, 4 refrigerators, 8 air-conditioners. Numerous small appliances.

I just assumed they would have put in 3 phase.

I didn't realize there's different 3 phase types.

They put in some new terminals/transformers in the village last week.

I'll take a picture, perhaps I can message you and you might know what it is?

It's great we haven't had the power go out since! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Only if you ask for it.

I thought I saw someone here who installed 3 phase solar. 

I thought it was red007 but think I'm mistaken.

I understand your comments before about seperate in vetters for each phase.

I hope to start the 3 phase solar project next year after I move my aquaponics.

So mainly was looking for threads of 3 phase installations.

3 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I thought I saw someone here who installed 3 phase solar. 

I thought it was red007 but think I'm mistaken.

I understand your comments before about seperate in vetters for each phase.

I hope to start the 3 phase solar project next year after I move my aquaponics.

So mainly was looking for threads of 3 phase installations.

Got it.

I don't recall a member installing 3-phase solar ???? 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

not DIY, but done by an installer:

Huawei SUM2000-5KTL-M1 5.0Kw, 3 Phase inverter and totally 14 Jinko PV panels 470W, no battery as yet, cost was slightly below 200 KTHB all in.

Running with 0 export most of the time. It is still slightly hazy but we are getting close to 5 kW at the moment.

I would have to agree that 3 x 1-phase inverters might have been better due to 1 phase dropping out frequently. At the time of decision I did not think about this possibility but I guess it would have made the setup more expensive and complicated.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, a340bangla1 said:

Hi there

Huawei SUM2000-5KTL-M1 5.0Kw, 3 Phase inverter and totally 14 Jinko PV panels 470W, no battery as yet, cost was slightly below 200 KTHB all in.

Running with 0 export most of the time. It is still slightly hazy but we are getting close to 5 kW at the moment.

I would have to agree that 3 x 1-phase inverters might have been better due to 1 phase dropping out frequently. At the time of decision I did not think about this possibility but I guess it would have made the setup more expensive and complicated.

Hi, yes I'm looking at 3 hybrid inverters (with toroid transformer), cost about B35000 each.

[My Thai Solar friend who was just visiting said 'make sure the inverters have toroid transformers']. I haven't Googled it yet. ????

44 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Hi, yes I'm looking at 3 hybrid inverters (with toroid transformer), cost about B35000 each.

[My Thai Solar friend who was just visiting said 'make sure the inverters have toroid transformers']. I haven't Googled it yet. ????

Toroid ? Is that a dirty word ? ????

I saw them install circular transformers around the 3 phases which I assumed to be current transformers.

The 3-phase Huawei inverter (5 kW) was about B30'000

2 hours ago, a340bangla1 said:

Hi there

"no battery as yet"

Just a heads-up......  I seem to remember another forum member who has had a Huawei inverter installed discovered after the fact that Huawei some how tie you into using only their batteries, which then turned out to be a very expensive option.  Hope I'm wrong for your sake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 007 RED said:

"no battery as yet"

Just a heads-up......  I seem to remember another forum member who has had a Huawei inverter installed discovered after the fact that Huawei some how tie you into using only their batteries, which then turned out to be a very expensive option.  Hope I'm wrong for your sake.

I have no plans for batteries at the moment but I might consult my installer to find out if there is such a restriction.