Motorbike road trip into Laos advice needed :-)

banglay

I am planning a road trip (motorbike CB500X) into Laos early January 2023 crossing at Chiang Khong (Friendship bridge 4) northern Thailand and following the Mekong river south and re entering back into Thailand at Pakse (Laos).

Has anyone in the Pattaya , Rayong . Sattahip areas any experience of this route and can pass on any advice ETC or maybe you would like to join me on this trip and help with the planning and itinerary.

Maps below is a rough idea of the route.... nothing as yet set in stone .

Please IM if you are interested in this adventure ride ????

Mods please leave in the Pattaya forum , if I get no response I will ask you to move to another forum outside the Chonburi/Rayong area at a later date ????

307824023_806845180362359_3356322123966077962_n.png.00c779bd45182f7fcc2b29275d00726f.png

Edited by banglay

I would add to iternary Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang. Not very far from your route. And it could a highlight of the trip, as in these places is actually something to do and something to see, other that broken 3rd world communist country. 

500cc should have no problem of entering Laos (with 300cc I was allowed to cross, but I was told at border next time to come with bigger bike, as low cc bikes aren't allowed to cross) Don't forget to drive on right side of the road. ????

Edited by FrederikKitten
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, banglay said:

this is just a rough idea or the route .. lots of research and googling needed to finalize the route

https://goo.gl/maps/EVJbwmWSRq9iRjk66

Hhhhmmmm - an interesting - and challenging trek.  I've got an Enfield 650, and have done some trips on the Thai-side of the Mekong (live in Laem Mae Phim).  By my/Prof Google's calculations the trip from & to LMP would be 72 hours in the saddle over some 4,050Kms (<deleted> is twitching just thinking about it.....).  A few questions:

1.  How many days are you thinking about taking?

2.  Why the Lao route selected??  Is there any previous trip reports???

3.  Have a vague idea there are Lao requirements about needing a "tour guide"  -  is this so, and what are the other requirements to take a bike into/out from the LPR????