Looking for Thai medical insurance for six month visit

ultramarine

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any insurance companies that offer plans that last for just six months -- as in a "snowbird special". 

I see that Pacific Cross does offer a six month plan for about 15,000 THB for a 60 y.o.   I'm considering it but wonder what the competition might be offering.

Thanks.

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Travel Insurance is usually much better value and includes much more cover, purchased from your home country

Not sure about this for Canada.   Much more expensive to buy it at home although the coverage is definitely better.  So 6 months would cost about $1200 CAD for maybe 2-3 million THB coverage whereas Pacific Cross costs about $600 CAD but with less coverage -- 500K THB IIRC.  

2 hours ago, ultramarine said:

Not sure about this for Canada.   Much more expensive to buy it at home although the coverage is definitely better.  So 6 months would cost about $1200 CAD for maybe 2-3 million THB coverage whereas Pacific Cross costs about $600 CAD but with less coverage -- 500K THB IIRC.  

Yeah that looks very poor, i know from UK travel insurance often has cover £2m, £5m, £10m. Have you not got websites like confused.com or comparethemarket.com in Canada?

• Love It 1

pacific cross visa health insurance is the only one on the market.

Their policy is new, since August (has replaced one year policy).

Probably competition will follow sometimes, but they won't be competitive on value. 

If you do stay just over 6 months per year in thailand I would go for full 1 year policies with high deductible and no outpatient, to reduce premium.

Bear in mind 30 days exclusion for illness and 120 days for 6 serious illness. So your visa health policy is not as good as one year policy. 

Visa health one can't be extended, each year you will get this 120 days exclusion.

Full one year policy covers you also abroad for up to 6 weeks at time.

Also with one year policy you will get up to 20% no claim reduction

• Love It 1

On 10/3/2022 at 6:11 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah that looks very poor, i know from UK travel insurance often has cover £2m, £5m, £10m. Have you not got websites like confused.com or comparethemarket.com in Canada?

Actually following your suggestion I did find a few comparison sites. Thanks for the nudge. Some plans were cheaper than the big names I had checked (equivalent to 19k thb and just 1500 thb deductible and 50 million thb coverage) but I don't know anything about those companies. Might have to find some user reviews to see if they are legit. So more work to do for me. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, internationalism said:

pacific cross visa health insurance is the only one on the market.

Their policy is new, since August (has replaced one year policy).

Probably competition will follow sometimes, but they won't be competitive on value. 

If you do stay just over 6 months per year in thailand I would go for full 1 year policies with high deductible and no outpatient, to reduce premium.

Bear in mind 30 days exclusion for illness and 120 days for 6 serious illness. So your visa health policy is not as good as one year policy. 

Visa health one can't be extended, each year you will get this 120 days exclusion.

Full one year policy covers you also abroad for up to 6 weeks at time.

Also with one year policy you will get up to 20% no claim reduction

Thanks for the info.  For a 1 year policy who would you recommend?  I just want the basics to cover worst case scenarios. High deductible ok. I'm in good health with no preexisting conditions. Tbh in the past I've spent winters in Thailand with no insurance at all.  I rarely see a doctor even in Canada. 

go with pacific cross, they are the best value.

They have many plans. The cheapest don't have deductible.

Your visa health for 180 days would be 32k (they don't offer deductible). Not 15k, as you mistakenly wrote in your opening post.

One year health policy called premier premier would be 35k. You can half it by 50% choosing 300k deductible so some 17k.  

More decent one, premier plus, would be 25k.

You can compare tens of policies from 6 insurers.

Only pacific cross offers up to 50% deductible. There are several plans from some other companies with less deductible.

https://misterprakan.com/th/health/plans?gender=Male&age=60&lg=en&ipd=1&opdf=1&leadid=348157

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, internationalism said:

go with pacific cross, they are the best value.

They have many plans. The cheapest don't have deductible.

Your visa health for 180 days would be 32k (they don't offer deductible). Not 15k, as you mistakenly wrote in your opening post.

One year health policy called premier premier would be 35k. You can half it by 50% choosing 300k deductible so some 17k.  

More decent one, premier plus, would be 25k.

You can compare tens of policies from 6 insurers.

Only pacific cross offers up to 50% deductible. There are several plans from some other companies with less deductible.

https://misterprakan.com/th/health/plans?gender=Male&age=60&lg=en&ipd=1&opdf=1&leadid=348157

Thanks for sharing this info.  I really appreciate it.   As you say, there is an argument for opting for the full year with a large deductible.  Mister Prakan really is the go-to site for this stuff. Makes the decision process that much easier.