6 monthly service - is this a scam?

MrMuddle

My wife got  phone call from the local agency that sold her the car, advising that her six monthly service is due. The car is 12 years old, (bought new),has been serviced annually up until now and has only done just over 40,000 kms from new. It was last serviced around April, and has had the Thai MOT test since then, with no problems found. I've always been particular about maintenance with my vehicles, I'd never skimp on safety, but I feel that this six monthly service is unnecessary. Is the company trying a fast one, as I can understand car companies are feeling the pinch, in the current economic climate, and are looking to make some easy money. Has anyone else ever had six monthly services on their cars?

• Haha 1

Depends on the Brand and model most Brands in Thailand during the warranty period ( which doesn't apply to you) require servicing every 6 months or xxx number of km.

If the vehicle isn't service according to the Brand servicing schedule normally you will find your warranty is cancelled next time you try to claim

Your wife should ask the company will they still provided warranty cover(free) on your 12 year old car

Edited by vinny41
add

This message was in an e-mail to me:

We would like to inform you that your extended warranty has ended, please call us at xxxxxxxxxx to discuss buying a new extended warranty for your vehicle.   My car is only 2 years old........of course it was spam, but as you can see scams abound.

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Depends on the Brand and model most Brands in Thailand during the warranty period ( which doesn't apply to you) require servicing every 6 months or xxx number of km.

If the vehicle isn't service according to the Brand servicing schedule normally you will find your warranty is cancelled next time you try to claim

Your wife should ask the company will they still provided warranty cover(free) on your 12 year old car

By warranty do you mean insurance cover? Obviously the car is well past its vehicle warranty guarantee, which was three years, if I remember correctly. I just don't understand why they have suddenly changed the servicing from 12 months to six. It's always been done at 10,000 kms intervals, except for the first service at 1,000 kms. The car's only done just over 40,000 kms in over 12 years, yet has been serviced every 12 months.

4 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

By warranty do you mean insurance cover? Obviously the car is well past its vehicle warranty guarantee, which was three years, if I remember correctly. I just don't understand why they have suddenly changed the servicing from 12 months to six. It's always been done at 10,000 kms intervals, except for the first service at 1,000 kms. The car's only done just over 40,000 kms in over 12 years, yet has been serviced every 12 months.

I think your current servicing schedule is fine.  Stick with it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I think your current servicing schedule is fine.  Stick with it.

Once a year or 30k is what I have done with all my cars before even with guarantee. In Thailand I have stuck to 10k even they call me every 6 months.

Now soon 3,5 Years and 60k. 5 years guarantee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Once a year or 30k is what I have done with all my cars before even with guarantee. In Thailand I have stuck to 10k even they call me every 6 months.

Now soon 3,5 Years and 60k. 5 years guarantee.

Whilst your car is under manufacturer's warranty ('guarantee') then you MUST service it as specified by the manufacturer. If you don't follow the manufacturer's schedule then then are likely to reject a warranty claim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrMuddle said:

Yes the vehicle warranty guarantee, What is more than likely here is a new person has started and they have been given 2 spreadsheets

spreadsheet 1 is new car sales over the past year

spreadsheet 2 is all cars serviced over the past year

They have been told to contact everyone on that spreadsheet that a service is required every 6 months

so last month they would have contacted people that either purchased or service a car in March 2022

This month they are doing the same for all sales or services in April 2022

if you check the Thia websites of the major brands Honda,Toyota,Nissan,MG

for cars in Thailand service intervals are every 6 months or xxx number of km during the lifetime of the  manufacturer's warranty guarantee

Some wll advised that you should continue with the same service schedule after the manufacturer's warranty guarantee has expired some people do many people don't.

I have found that some service centres similar to Kwik Fit can be more expensive than using a service centre from a brand because on the example a 40,000  km service there are many items that require checking for wear and tear and replacing if necessary.

On non branded service centres I have seen some where they have taken the item that requires checking for wear and tear and replacing if necessary

to mean simply replace everything rather than just check

• Like 1

As your car is out of ‘warranty’ , and everything is going well with annual servicing of your low mileage car - maintain the status quo.

6 monthly servicing of your car would be of dubious benefit to you.  The only winner here would be the dealer!

My Mazda dealer does this 6 monthly service interval as well. When I purchased the car I received ‘vouchers’ that give me free labour (not a big deal in LOS) and I only pay for parts or consumables, so it is not too onerous to play their game.

My Ford is 12 mths / 15K km - I went for an oil change after 14 months & they told me to leave & come back in a few months, as I had only done about 6k km!

The specified oil service interval for my Porsche is 24 months - I do not leave it that long! (Despite it doing very low kms). 

• Like 1

Dealerships make more money out of servicing than a new car sale, and charge considerably more than independent mechanics.

I have my vehicle serviced on the basis of kilometres driven, once a year is quite enough, although I usually rack up enough km's to make a time basis redundant.

Servicing is a big scam. Unfortunately, unless you service your car (at an authorised service dealer) according to the manufacturer’s schedule, your warranty will be void.

After the warranty period, do as you wish. If you’re not worried about the engine seizing due to the motor oil being 5 yrs old or your brakes failing due to being worn out, don’t bother servicing. 

18 hours ago, MrMuddle said:

My wife got  phone call from the local agency that sold her the car, advising that her six monthly service is due.

It's not a scam, they're just trying to sell the service departments services, that's all.   

They haven't forced you to get the service, taken money from you or threatened consequences if you don't take up their suggestion.   If you take it in for a six-month service you'll get a six-month service.  You have the choice.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1