New Political Party Ready To Launch

sriracha john

Still millions of people need to choose a party that would lead the country. For them the answer is very easy this time around - TRT has discredited itself beyond repair, vote Democrats.

There are also millions who don't have a clue or don't give a shit. Ironically they are usually the ones who "decide" the direction of the country.

Hopefully not this time.

>>>

40 MPs left Somsak to joing PPP. That's quite a lot. Maybe they miscalculated the election outcome but these guys are usually very good at picking winning sides.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trouble for TRT II through TRT XI??

'Organic law' committee rules out ex-TRT political participation

BANGKOK - A subcommittee of Thailand's National Legislative Assembly (NLA) in charge of scrutinising the organic laws of the new constitution has made it clear that the dissolution of political parties following last year's failed May election precludes the participation of former political party executives from any part of the political process.

The legislators resolved to keep executive members of dissolved political parties from setting up or taking part in the setting up of new parties or becoming executives of new parties in any fashion.

The NLA subcommittee, headed by legal academic Dr. Bovornsak Uwanno, has ruled on Thursday that no person who had held any executive post in a dissolved party can be legally allowed to set up or be involved in the setting up of any party.

Neither would they be legally allowed to assume the post of a party executive for a five-year period of time as of the date on which their former party was dissolved, according to the NLA subpanel.

After a lengthy debate on the issue among subcommittee members, such a ban on leading political roles for the former executives of a dissolved party was agreed upon as they were virtually considered politically bankrupt.

The latest decision made by the NLA subcommittee scrutinising the charter's organic laws apparently involved the once-ruling Thai Rak Thai Party earlier led by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and dissolved earlier this year by a constitution tribunal on electoral rigging charges. Consequently, a total of 111 TRT executives were prohibited from contesting a general election or assuming executive posts of any other party for a five-year period.

Several heads of varied political factions were among the 111 TRT executives banned from any active political role to span a five-year time frame in the aftermath of the TRT party dissolution.

- MCOT

Trouble for TRT II through TRT XI??

'Organic law' committee rules out ex-TRT political participation

BANGKOK - A subcommittee of Thailand's National Legislative Assembly (NLA) in charge of scrutinising the organic laws of the new constitution has made it clear that the dissolution of political parties following last year's failed May election precludes the participation of former political party executives from any part of the political process.

The legislators resolved to keep executive members of dissolved political parties from setting up or taking part in the setting up of new parties or becoming executives of new parties in any fashion.

The NLA subcommittee, headed by legal academic Dr. Bovornsak Uwanno, has ruled on Thursday that no person who had held any executive post in a dissolved party can be legally allowed to set up or be involved in the setting up of any party.

Neither would they be legally allowed to assume the post of a party executive for a five-year period of time as of the date on which their former party was dissolved, according to the NLA subpanel.

After a lengthy debate on the issue among subcommittee members, such a ban on leading political roles for the former executives of a dissolved party was agreed upon as they were virtually considered politically bankrupt.

The latest decision made by the NLA subcommittee scrutinising the charter's organic laws apparently involved the once-ruling Thai Rak Thai Party earlier led by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and dissolved earlier this year by a constitution tribunal on electoral rigging charges. Consequently, a total of 111 TRT executives were prohibited from contesting a general election or assuming executive posts of any other party for a five-year period.

Several heads of varied political factions were among the 111 TRT executives banned from any active political role to span a five-year time frame in the aftermath of the TRT party dissolution.

- MCOT

The last "T" in TRT isn't for "Trouble"?

Pimol Sriwikorn, co-founder of the group, yesterday told The Nation the Thamma Thippatai would discuss the organisation of the new party and analyse the current political situation.

I think that this statement reveals alot about Thai political parties in general. Notice how the focus of their immediate activities is 1)determine how the party will be organised which probably means who will get which posts and really has to do with how the power and (hopefully in the future) money will be divided...and 2) analyse the political situation. Notice that there is no ideology...there is no issue that gives this group of people its reason for existence...there is no cause they are fighting for...no difference of opinion with other political parties which necessitates their coming together to accomplish something. THAI POLITICS IS NOT ABOUT ISSUES...IT IS ABOUT POWER AND MONEY. Corruption is thus just part of the power/money game...there is not ideology getting in the way of pure greed....and vote buying is not frowned upon afterall what is the difference between spreading money around between politicians and spreading the money around between voters?...not much really. Why shouldn't voters benefit from this power/money game? With no idealogical contraints there is no reason why not.

Just my views.

Chownah

Following on these cynical lines, it always cracks me up to see the lofty idealistic names of these parties. Thai love Thai, Thai join together, etc.. I guess the implication is Thais love Thais with money, and I suppose that is no different than anywhere.

There is no right , left or centre in Thai politics - only populism. The next party to form government will be the party with the right mix of populist policies and negative nationalist slogans.

Could be the new - "Same Party As Before Only With A Different Name Party"

imho the next election will have absolutley nothing to do with polices or moving the country forward. It is about a very very vicious power struggle with winner takes all fight to the death between two groups with fairly equal support right now. Nobody is going to leave people to sit and ruminate on who to vote for in this situation. We are going to see all kinds of coercion and also vote buying at a level where it will affect how people vote. This election will be totally filthy.

Both sides also include a mix from across the politcal spectrum and yes there is no right or left per se just alliances of clan, region, family, pecuniary interest or convenience, so their is certainly no ideology.

Unfortuanately as Thailand has been in political crisis since about the end of 2005 and the Thai and world economy are dipping there is actually a need to have a government with policies that will govern ro things will only get worse for most here. The chances of getting this right now look very dim.

Hammered, I would not go so far to say both sides have equal support. If you eliminate the vote buying, the former TRT are clearly on the losing side.

Interesting point on your late 2005 as being the start of the political crisis. That matches exactly when Thaksin could no longer keep his wrongdoings below the surface and open questions started appearing in the media.

Hammered, I would not go so far to say both sides have equal support. If you eliminate the vote buying, the former TRT are clearly on the losing side.

Interesting point on your late 2005 as being the start of the political crisis. That matches exactly when Thaksin could no longer keep his wrongdoings below the surface and open questions started appearing in the media.

Admittedly support is hard to measure right now. I guess at about equal because both sides are acting like they are not sure. No doubt we will be surprised at some point.

I go for 2005 as when Mr. Thaksin's wrongdoings came out and the Sondhi's Lumpini soap box episodes started is when government of the country basically stopped as the TRT turned from governing to confronting their opponents or in some cases sitting quietly to see who would win.

Admittedly support is hard to measure right now. I guess at about equal because both sides are acting like they are not sure. No doubt we will be surprised at some point.

I go for 2005 as when Mr. Thaksin's wrongdoings came out and the Sondhi's Lumpini soap box episodes started is when government of the country basically stopped as the TRT turned from governing to confronting their opponents or in some cases sitting quietly to see who would win.

I can see the turn point as you say when Thaksin starting shifting to a defensive posture. However down or up turns don’t happen at the snap of a finger. Without getting too far off topic, Thaksin created a bubble by financing his project with projected income out past 2012 if I remember correctly. So any upturn was ridding the artificial bubble. It also made Thaksin look like the man who can and now that he is out the Thai government appears helpless and inept at first glance as the bubble has all but collapsed. Couple that with less that stellar decisions and here we are. There is even a blog I saw that suggests Thailand has fallen out of the global market.

It is too easy to get wrapped up in this and forget the big long term picture that started while Thaksin was still accumulating power. This one you need to take several steps back to see it all.

I can see the turn point as you say when Thaksin starting shifting to a defensive posture. However down or up turns don’t happen at the snap of a finger. Without getting too far off topic, Thaksin created a bubble by financing his project with projected income out past 2012 if I remember correctly. So any upturn was ridding the artificial bubble. It also made Thaksin look like the man who can and now that he is out the Thai government appears helpless and inept at first glance as the bubble has all but collapsed. Couple that with less that stellar decisions and here we are. There is even a blog I saw that suggests Thailand has fallen out of the global market.

It is too easy to get wrapped up in this and forget the big long term picture that started while Thaksin was still accumulating power. This one you need to take several steps back to see it all.

Very few have looked at how the TRT project was funded, but certasinly most of the projects tie governments for ages to repay what has been spent. One problem of this is the economic downturn which will result in future governments having less income than projected while still having to repay. Difficult times ahead for the country if economic growth does not get back to higher levels especially if more populist polices are going to be introduced to keep the poor happy. There will however be a learning curve of the reality of economics and politics in Thailand, and one that could be quite hard. How long before the tax increases? Oh we have already had alcohol and cigarettes. We now have a new constitution that mandates free universal health care, amongst a few other new constitutional promises to the people. The next goverment will have to budget this, while still paying off previous goverment investments in the many projects described as populist. We are not going to see a nice cosy short term future imho. Banharn has a point when he says the next PM will not be a happy man. If it were not for the short term political gain needed in screwing your opponent right now it would be a distinct advantage to lose the election, which brings us back nicely to why the ex-MP and feudal overlord horse trading and party founding is so vital.

While I would like to agree with your comment above, it just isn't so.

The former TRT party showed that to win an election, a political party didn't have to put small bills on the back of pickups. Instead, they could achieve the same results by institutionalizing vote buying through populist spending programs. While some could argue this was one in the same, it isn't. In a democracy, there is nothing wrong with a political party publicly communicating to voters their platform prior to the election as it allows all parties to counter with other programs or show why they don't work. I would hate to see the PPP take the majority, but clearly with populist policies, it is possible that the PPP can control the majority without the use of pickup trucks.

Very few have looked at how the TRT project was funded, but certasinly most of the projects tie governments for ages to repay what has been spent. One problem of this is the economic downturn which will result in future governments having less income than projected while still having to repay. Difficult times ahead for the country if economic growth does not get back to higher levels especially if more populist polices are going to be introduced to keep the poor happy. There will however be a learning curve of the reality of economics and politics in Thailand, and one that could be quite hard. How long before the tax increases? Oh we have already had alcohol and cigarettes. We now have a new constitution that mandates free universal health care, amongst a few other new constitutional promises to the people. The next goverment will have to budget this, while still paying off previous goverment investments in the many projects described as populist. We are not going to see a nice cosy short term future imho. Banharn has a point when he says the next PM will not be a happy man. If it were not for the short term political gain needed in screwing your opponent right now it would be a distinct advantage to lose the election, which brings us back nicely to why the ex-MP and feudal overlord horse trading and party founding is so vital.

Hammered, little to disagree with here other than to add the comment that the TRT didn't invent deficit spending. It is normal for infrastructural projects to take years to repay and to be based on future cash flows (project financing). Deficit spending may be new to Thailand, but that is only because in the past, unlike the former TRT, governments didn't spend a great deal of money aimed at the poor. However, to win elections going forward, it appears that some form of populist policies are going to be required. Hence, I fully expect that deficit spending will be with us for some time to come.

Any party that comes to power next will have to run budget deficits.

The difference is - to what end? If it's to get a grip on power via populist policies, the payback will be disastrous, if it's a necessary investment for future growth, returns will be handsome.

It is often said that Thaksin legitimised vote buying by elevating it to the status of policies, the essense is the same - it's the trade. And the offense is still the same - taking advantage of voters not appreciating the true value of their votes.

On the other hand - who knows what the true value is? For someone 500 baht in cash seems like a good deal for a signature, for others it's an allure of cheap healthcare for the rest of their lives. Can you blame them for that?

Looking from this angle they should have legitimised vote buying long time ago.

The mistake lies in the assuming that voters and the government are two different parties entering a deal and seeking most benefits for themselves, often at the expense of the other party.

It goes against the very heart of democracy, or any good governance for that matter. Two sides are not adversaries, they are partners. They are both servants of the nation, they should seek benefits for the whole country, not for themselves.

It's like a marriage - both parties have to make sacrifices to make it work, then success will make them both happy.

Vote buyind and populism turn it into prostitution instead.

It is often said that Thaksin legitimised vote buying by elevating it to the status of policies, the essense is the same - it's the trade. And the offense is still the same - taking advantage of voters not appreciating the true value of their votes.

On the other hand - who knows what the true value is? For someone 500 baht in cash seems like a good deal for a signature, for others it's an allure of cheap healthcare for the rest of their lives. Can you blame them for that?

Looking from this angle they should have legitimised vote buying long time ago.

The mistake lies in the assuming that voters and the government are two different parties entering a deal and seeking most benefits for themselves, often at the expense of the other party.

It goes against the very heart of democracy, or any good governance for that matter. Two sides are not adversaries, they are partners. They are both servants of the nation, they should seek benefits for the whole country, not for themselves.

It's like a marriage - both parties have to make sacrifices to make it work, then success will make them both happy.

Vote buyind and populism turn it into prostitution instead.

Prior to Thaksin, the Demo's thought they had achieved a good balance by pouring money into construction projects (primarily road building). The thought was that it would not only help access to provincial areas, but would put people to work. Thaksin came in and said forget all of this indirect help, I will give you the money directly. He did this via debt forgiveness and direct payouts in one form or another. This made the TRT's policies politically more appealing, but it is worthy to note that over this period farm income did not increase and heavy investment into education did not occur. In essence, packaged differently, it was more of the same.

Going forward, I doubt the system will change. It will be up to each party to package its giveaways in the most politically pleasing format, without actually providing a means to change the status quo. What is hoped is that ultimately, while one tries to outdo the other, that meaningful policies are put into place. For me, I think the Demo's will get us there more quickly, but that discussion is not for this thread.

Ex-opposition parties get together

Three former opposition parties will get together tomorrow to restore public confidence in their unity, Democrat Party spokesman Ong-art Klampaiboon said yesterday.

The Mahachon Party will host a luncheon for the Democrat and Chat Thai parties at a Bangkok restaurant where they will talk about their political direction.

"I believe the public can depend on the three parties to manage the country through the political crisis,'' Ong-art said.

He said there was no reason for the three parties to switch political camps. "They will continue working together for the public interest,'' he said.

Chat Thai Party leader Banharn Silapa-archa had earlier announced his party would not enter into any alliance that would divide the country. His comment followed Democrat secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban's criticism of Chat Thai for suggesting that rival parties should bury the hatchet after the general election.

Meanwhile, the People Power Party yesterday stressed it would not argue with its rivals.

"No matter what the result of the election, whether we are in opposition or government or not, we will propose our policy as to create happiness and give a chance to people," said party secretary-general Surapong Suebwonglee.

Some policies have a benefit to the country that every party can support, he added.

Surapong said the Matchima group's campaign to have all state-run electric trains charge a flat-rate fare of Bt15 should be supported. He also called on the government to lift martial law in 35 provinces.

- The Nation

Matchima merger talks

The Matchima group will today make it clear whether it will merge with another group, leader Somsak Thepsuthin said yesterday.

Veteran politician Snoh Thienthong is to form a new party by merging several groups and urging Supachai Panitchpakdi to quit as head of the UN Conference on Trade and Development to become leader of the party. "Our merger policies are based on two factors - national reconciliation and economic development. I will talk about the merger at headquarters today," Somsak said.

Matchima also announced 24 candidates for Bangkok. They include former Bangkok MPs of the defunct Thai Rak Thai Party such as Dr Lalita Rirksamran, Krissada Sajjakul, Siri Wangboonkerd, Prachuap Ungphakorn and Anusorn Panthong.

- The Nation

Matchima pledges new train network

Flat price of 15 baht offered to woo voters

The Matchima political group unveiled its manifesto for the general election yesterday, with plans for a new electric train network to woo voters in Bangkok. Matchima leader Somsak Thepsuthin said if his group registers as a political party and has the opportunity to be part of the next government, he would push for a new electric train network with a flat ticket price of only 15 baht for an entire journey for the first 15 years. The price could be increased after that. A total of 10 rail routes with a combined length of 333 kilometres would be constructed linking Bangkok to surrounding provinces, Somsak said. Construction would take about six years and cost about 500 billion baht. Somsak said the rail network would be one of Matchima's flagship policies and would be a great boon to residents in Bangkok. He believed it would get the support of other parties in a coalition government. The party yesterday also presented 24 candidates to contest seats in Bangkok. They included familiar faces such as former Thai Rak Thai MPs Lalita Rerksamran, Thavatchai Sajakul and Siri Wangboonkerd.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/10Sep2007_news06.php

Prior to Thaksin, the Demo's thought they had achieved a good balance by pouring money into construction projects (primarily road building). The thought was that it would not only help access to provincial areas, but would put people to work. Thaksin came in and said forget all of this indirect help, I will give you the money directly.... but it is worthy to note that over this period farm income did not increase and heavy investment into education did not occur.

Prior to Thaksin politicians' role was restricted to elections and debating laws. Actual development was planned and implemented by bureaucrats. Thailand had five year plans that were far more important than any government policies.

Those bureaucrats, though unelected, were trained to see the big picture, look and plan for many years ahead. Yes, they tend to steal and practice nepotism and favouritism, but the fundamentally they are better placed than politicians to look after the country, imo.

When Thaksin took control from bureaucrats, what benefits did it bring? Downside is obvious - unprecendeted corruption, a build in fault - because there are far more politicians than bureacrats, and focus on short term election goals - policies were designed to bring votes today, and ministries were run by people with no knowledge or experience in their areas whatsoever.

It's sad to see that other parties are taking on this "vote for me, I'll give you the moon" approach. There's no way these giveways will bring any long term benefits to the country.

"15 baht for a train ride for fifteen years" - when will people understand that it's THEIR money that would finance this train service, there are no miracles.

3 opposition parties to convene on September 11

The 3 former opposition parties are preparing to conduct a joing discussion on September 11 to determine their political direction.

Democrat Party Spokesperson Ong-art Klampaiboon (องอาจ คล้ามไพบูลย์) reports that 3 former opposition parties will be convening at 15:00 on September 11 in order to discuss their political direction to create public confidence during the nation's political crisis. Meanwhile the Deputy Spokesperson to the Democrat Party, Mr. Satit Pitutecha (สาธิต ปิตุเตชะ) reports that Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva (อภิสิทธิ์ เวชชาชีวะ) will be traveled to Lop Buri province on September 14 to report on laws for national public health which aim to strengthen the health of Thai citizens.

Mr. Abhisit will also be meeting with Village Health Volunteers nationwide. Mr. Satit added that the Democrat Party will be posting campaign posters and signs on October 1 to publicize the party's policies nationwide.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 September 2007

First Lt.Kuthep Saikrajang demands competitor groups to halt referring to old power clique come-back

People Power party demands alliances of Campaign for Popular Democracy stop repeating comments concerning a come-back of the old power clique.

In response to Prof. Dr. Chaianand Samutvanich's (ชัยอนันต์ สมุทวานิช) comments about a TRT come-back, People Power Party Spokesman Lt.Kuthep Saikrajang (กุเทพ ใสกระจ่าง) says such comment would confuse the general public, with assumptions that People Power has the intent to stir up unrests in the country.

Lt.Kuthep says the alliance group has shown signs that the new Army chief should have similar standpoint with the alliance group.

The People Power spokesman further added that he believes it is justifiable for People Power Party leader Samak Sundaravej (สมัคร สุนทรเวช ) to propose granting amnesty to the 111 former Thai Rak Thai executive members as well as to dissolve the Asset Examination Committee if his party wins majority votes.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 September 2007

Not sure if this Thai Rak Thai II or Thai Rak Thai III....

30039052-01.jpg

Thai Rak Thai Group leader Chaturon Chaisang (#2 on the List of Banned Thai Rak Thai executives who are banned from political activity for 5 years), center, attends a meeting held by Sudarat Keyuraphan (#3 on the List of Banned Thai Rak Thai executives who are banned from political activity for 5 years), right, and Yaowapa Wongsawat (Thaksin's sister and #13 on the List of Banned Thai Rak Thai executives who are banned from political activity for 5 years), left, at the IFCT Building yesterday.

The Nation

I understand with their over-inflated egos and big heads that there wasn't enough room to include Newin (#6 on the List of Banned Thai Rak Thai executives who are banned from political activity for 5 years) in the above photo. So, in order for him not to feel left out:

newin-.gif

173943__rambo_l.jpg

(Due to the unavailability of a photo of Suporn Atthawong, have opted for one of his namesake)

Former TRT Party's 'Rambo' shot and wounded in ambush

(Incidentally, he's #48 on the List of Banned Thai Rak Thai executives who are banned from political activity for 5 years).

just in case there wasn't enough Thaksin flavoring in their new nominee soup, the ill-suited Noppadope, who continues to struggle to find a decent tailoring shop, falls off the shelf and into the couldron...

Tt2ZfBv.jpg

Thaksin's legal advisor to join People's Power party

au24wn.jpg

Deputy Prime Minister (at the time) Suwat Liptapanlop shows off the 2004 Olympic gold medal won by weightlifter Udomporn Polsak

Suwat tells supporters Chat Pattana may be revived

Is Suwat one of the banned members?

Yep... he's number #22 on the list of 111 Thai Rak Thai executives who were banned from politics for five years for engaging in electoral fraud.

Suranand.jpg

Suranand Vejjajiva

Suranand helps set up Bangkok-centric political group

Former Thai Rak Thai executive Suranand Vejjajiva has joined with members of the social elite to launch a group calling itself the Bangkok 50.

Is Suranand one of the banned TRT members?

Yep... he's number #51 on the list of 111 Thai Rak Thai executives who were banned from politics for five years for engaging in electoral fraud. Perhaps they should have called his group Bangkok 51.

Matchima Thipathai to register on Aug 28

The Machima group have unveiled their 200 party members at a press conference held at the Sofitel Central hotel on Lat Phrao road on Friday morning. Group leader Somsak Thepsuthin said in his opening speech that the Machima group was set up with the sole intention of serving as an alternative for the people.

somsak323.jpg

Somsak Thepsuthin

Is Somsak one of the banned TRT members?

Yep... he's number #18 on the list of 111 Thai Rak Thai executives who were banned from politics for five years for engaging in electoral fraud.

Well, well.... certainly there's room for more banned TRT members to try and run politics, right?

So now, we add:

Surakiart_Sathirathai.jpg

Surakiart Sathirathai

He is #21 on the list of 111 Thai Rak Thai executives who were banned from politics for five years for engaging in electoral fraud

Motherland Party set to launch today

Former deputy prime minister Surakiart Sathirathai will today announce the formation of the latest political bloc - to be called "For the Motherland" - which will bring together a large group of former MPs and become a "third force" in Thai politics.

Surakiart has been keeping a low profile since the coup and his failed bid for the top post at the United Nations. He has sprung a surprise by undertaking a role as powerbroker for former MPs, who were largely supporters of the Thaksin government.

The For the Motherland ("Pua Paendin") group will hold a press conference at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre to announce its political future, with the slogan "Building the nation, maintaining religion and safeguarding the monarchy".

The group consists of Sanoh Thienthong, the Pracharaj party leader, and key figures of the Saman Chan group, Pinij Jarusombat, Suwit Kunkitti and Preecha Laohapongchana. It also includes Matchima group leader Somsak Thepsuthin and Suranand Vejjajiva.

Yesterday, these political personalities met with Surakiart at his luxurious office at Bangkok's downtown CentralWorld and had lunch together.

After the meeting, Suranand said the group and other political veterans would hold a news conference today at Queen Sirikit Convention Centre to declare their stand in the upcoming general election.

But he admitted it was not yet clear how they would work together or whether they should stay under a political party or join forces as political allies.

The formation of For the Motherland marks a turning point in Thai politics as it could tip the political balance in the new government. The remnants of the Thaksin regime remain strong, with Samak Sundaravej emerging as leader of the People Power Party (PPP), which has prospects of winning the largest number of MPs.

There are about 200 ex-Thai Rak Thai MPs in the PPP. But the party is not likely to win more than 240 seats necessary to gain majority control in the new government.

The Democrat, Chat Thai and Mahachon Parties, which were the opposition in the previous government, have loosely formed an alliance to contend for a bid to form the next government. But they, too, look likely to fall short of winning 240 seats.

This will give For the Motherland a crucial role to play in the formation of the next government because its vote could well tip the balance of power to either the PPP - or the Democrat-led alliance.

When asked why Ruam Jai Thai and Suwat Liptapanlop, another leader of Saman Chan, had failed to show up at the meeting to form the For the Motherland group, Snoh Thienthong said the question should be posed to those who did not come.

"As I'm a person with the most seniority, I can say that our group is trying to work for the country. I don't know whether they [Ruam Jai Thai and Saman Chan] want to work for the country or not," he said.

Somsak said he could not answer as to how many groups would be included in For the Motherland, but said the head of the new group would be known today.

Somsak denied his Matchima Group would merge with For the Motherland. "I don't know, it might be a rumour," he said.

Merger negotiations between his and other groups had been 97 per cent completed and would be finalised this week, he said.

Ruam Jai Thai group leader Pradit Patraprasit has decided to "keep an eye" on For the Motherland for the moment. He said he was about to register the establishment of Ruam Jai Thai, so there was no need for him to attend the meeting yesterday.

Suwat also wants to wait and see. He shared Pradit's view that the make-up of the new For the Motherland was not clear yet - and nobody knew who its leader would be. Moreover, he planned to restore the Chat Pattana Party so his group would not merge with any factions.

Suwat had no comment about the possibility of some of his key members leaving to join For the Motherland group.

- The Nation

============================================

yes, Noppadope is not in the group of 111, but he'd cry if he was left....

It'd be great if they could all wear football jerseys with their banned number on the back of them to ease identification...

Matchima pledges new train network

Flat price of 15 baht offered to woo voters

A total of 10 rail routes with a combined length of 333 kilometres would be constructed linking Bangkok to surrounding provinces, Somsak said. Construction would take about six years and cost about 500 billion baht.

Pure bullshit.

It took over 20 years to build the first 2 lines, and now he tells us it will take 6 years to build 10 new ones....

Nice work SJ, it is good to see them all in one place. I imagine there are several red cards waiting for their MPs in the not to distant future because of association with club 111. It also tends to Identify the worst culprits because they are so driven. They still try to find an angle to come to work even that their time cards have been removed from the rack.

Looks like an attempt at derailing the election is already making progress by voluntarily inserting banned politicians all over the place.

Thaksin's "can't vote, will disrupt" mode is on. :o

Think about it. Who will benefit if the elections cannot go ahead : the men in uniform, as they will have a cosy excuse to hang on to power and everything that comes with it.

Not sure if this Thai Rak Thai II or Thai Rak Thai III....

30039052-01.jpg

Thai Rak Thai Group leader Chaturon Chaisang (#2 on the List of Banned Thai Rak Thai executives who are banned from political activity for 5 years), center, attends a meeting held by Sudarat Keyuraphan (#3 on the List of Banned Thai Rak Thai executives who are banned from political activity for 5 years), right, and Yaowapa Wongsawat (Thaksin's sister and #13 on the List of Banned Thai Rak Thai executives who are banned from political activity for 5 years), left, at the IFCT Building yesterday.

The Nation

I understand with their over-inflated egos and big heads that there wasn't enough room to include Newin (#6 on the List of Banned Thai Rak Thai executives who are banned from political activity for 5 years) in the above photo. So, in order for him not to feel left out:

newin-.gif

173943__rambo_l.jpg

(Due to the unavailability of a photo of Suporn Atthawong, have opted for one of his namesake)

Former TRT Party's 'Rambo' shot and wounded in ambush

(Incidentally, he's #48 on the List of Banned Thai Rak Thai executives who are banned from political activity for 5 years).

just in case there wasn't enough Thaksin flavoring in their new nominee soup, the ill-suited Noppadope, who continues to struggle to find a decent tailoring shop, falls off the shelf and into the couldron...

Tt2ZfBv.jpg

Thaksin's legal advisor to join People's Power party

au24wn.jpg

Deputy Prime Minister (at the time) Suwat Liptapanlop shows off the 2004 Olympic gold medal won by weightlifter Udomporn Polsak

Suwat tells supporters Chat Pattana may be revived

Is Suwat one of the banned members?

Yep... he's number #22 on the list of 111 Thai Rak Thai executives who were banned from politics for five years for engaging in electoral fraud.

Suranand.jpg

Suranand Vejjajiva

Suranand helps set up Bangkok-centric political group

Former Thai Rak Thai executive Suranand Vejjajiva has joined with members of the social elite to launch a group calling itself the Bangkok 50.

Is Suranand one of the banned TRT members?

Yep... he's number #51 on the list of 111 Thai Rak Thai executives who were banned from politics for five years for engaging in electoral fraud. Perhaps they should have called his group Bangkok 51.

Matchima Thipathai to register on Aug 28

The Machima group have unveiled their 200 party members at a press conference held at the Sofitel Central hotel on Lat Phrao road on Friday morning. Group leader Somsak Thepsuthin said in his opening speech that the Machima group was set up with the sole intention of serving as an alternative for the people.

somsak323.jpg

Somsak Thepsuthin

Is Somsak one of the banned TRT members?

Yep... he's number #18 on the list of 111 Thai Rak Thai executives who were banned from politics for five years for engaging in electoral fraud.

Well, well.... certainly there's room for more banned TRT members to try and run politics, right?

So now, we add:

Surakiart_Sathirathai.jpg

Surakiart Sathirathai

He is #21 on the list of 111 Thai Rak Thai executives who were banned from politics for five years for engaging in electoral fraud

Motherland Party set to launch today

Former deputy prime minister Surakiart Sathirathai will today announce the formation of the latest political bloc - to be called "For the Motherland" - which will bring together a large group of former MPs and become a "third force" in Thai politics.

Surakiart has been keeping a low profile since the coup and his failed bid for the top post at the United Nations. He has sprung a surprise by undertaking a role as powerbroker for former MPs, who were largely supporters of the Thaksin government.

The For the Motherland ("Pua Paendin") group will hold a press conference at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre to announce its political future, with the slogan "Building the nation, maintaining religion and safeguarding the monarchy".

The group consists of Sanoh Thienthong, the Pracharaj party leader, and key figures of the Saman Chan group, Pinij Jarusombat, Suwit Kunkitti and Preecha Laohapongchana. It also includes Matchima group leader Somsak Thepsuthin and Suranand Vejjajiva.

Yesterday, these political personalities met with Surakiart at his luxurious office at Bangkok's downtown CentralWorld and had lunch together.

After the meeting, Suranand said the group and other political veterans would hold a news conference today at Queen Sirikit Convention Centre to declare their stand in the upcoming general election.

But he admitted it was not yet clear how they would work together or whether they should stay under a political party or join forces as political allies.

The formation of For the Motherland marks a turning point in Thai politics as it could tip the political balance in the new government. The remnants of the Thaksin regime remain strong, with Samak Sundaravej emerging as leader of the People Power Party (PPP), which has prospects of winning the largest number of MPs.

There are about 200 ex-Thai Rak Thai MPs in the PPP. But the party is not likely to win more than 240 seats necessary to gain majority control in the new government.

The Democrat, Chat Thai and Mahachon Parties, which were the opposition in the previous government, have loosely formed an alliance to contend for a bid to form the next government. But they, too, look likely to fall short of winning 240 seats.

This will give For the Motherland a crucial role to play in the formation of the next government because its vote could well tip the balance of power to either the PPP - or the Democrat-led alliance.

When asked why Ruam Jai Thai and Suwat Liptapanlop, another leader of Saman Chan, had failed to show up at the meeting to form the For the Motherland group, Snoh Thienthong said the question should be posed to those who did not come.

"As I'm a person with the most seniority, I can say that our group is trying to work for the country. I don't know whether they [Ruam Jai Thai and Saman Chan] want to work for the country or not," he said.

Somsak said he could not answer as to how many groups would be included in For the Motherland, but said the head of the new group would be known today.

Somsak denied his Matchima Group would merge with For the Motherland. "I don't know, it might be a rumour," he said.

Merger negotiations between his and other groups had been 97 per cent completed and would be finalised this week, he said.

Ruam Jai Thai group leader Pradit Patraprasit has decided to "keep an eye" on For the Motherland for the moment. He said he was about to register the establishment of Ruam Jai Thai, so there was no need for him to attend the meeting yesterday.

Suwat also wants to wait and see. He shared Pradit's view that the make-up of the new For the Motherland was not clear yet - and nobody knew who its leader would be. Moreover, he planned to restore the Chat Pattana Party so his group would not merge with any factions.

Suwat had no comment about the possibility of some of his key members leaving to join For the Motherland group.

- The Nation

============================================

yes, Noppadope is not in the group of 111, but he'd cry if he was left....

It'd be great if they could all wear football jerseys with their banned number on the back of them to ease identification...

If the motherland party do convince the internationally respected Supachai to leave the UN and head their group expect some of the outside factions to join up, and even maybe defectors from PPP and Demos. If and it remains a big if the motherland guys convince Supachai to head their party they will immediately have a candidate for next PM. Having Supachai at the helm would also probably indicate an alliance with anyone but PPP. Interesting month ahead. Personally I dont think Supachai will take the role but if he did it would certainly shake things up a bit.

Interesting that Surakiat has emerged as a coordinator of Motherland. Many ex-TRT cadres are highly suspicious of his role in the assets committee finding bits of well hidden evidence against Thaksin.

Edited by hammered

Looks like an attempt at derailing the election is already making progress by voluntarily inserting banned politicians all over the place.

Tony I am not sure if that will be an effective tactic as the EC has the power to stop that. I could be wrong but that Is how I see it. The EC could simply red card the bunch.

It could be also the government is giving them enough rope to hang themselves by letting them keep themselves occupied in this dead end attempt until it is too late to recover.

Edited by John K

Think about it. Who will benefit if the elections cannot go ahead : the men in uniform, as they will have a cosy excuse to hang on to power and everything that comes with it.

Problem is, the men in uniform aren't the ones planting banned politicians and forcing parties to accept banned politicians, this is simply a voluntary and shameful attempt at bogging down and discrediting the new Election Committee, which is not under Thai Rak Thai orders anymore. Their objectives are now "Can't control the EC and justice system anymore? We'll throw a wrench in the machine ". You could see where this was going right from the start of the PPP when amongst 60 some million Thais, Samak was chosen as leader even though he is investigated on a few evident corruption cases and is under a 2 year suspended jail term.

They've talked about "reconciliation" but you can see what their real intentions are now with this deliberate "political viral infection" with old blood.

Lifetime bans should be handed out next.

Problem is, the men in uniform aren't the ones planting banned politicians and forcing parties to accept banned politicians, this is simply a voluntary and shameful attempt at bogging down and discrediting the new Election Committee, which is not under Thai Rak Thai orders anymore. Their objectives are now "Can't control the EC and justice system anymore? We'll throw a wrench in the machine ". You could see where this was going right from the start of the PPP when amongst 60 some million Thais, Samak was chosen as leader even though he is investigated on a few evident corruption cases and is under a 2 year suspended jail term.

They've talked about "reconciliation" but you can see what their real intentions are now with this deliberate "political viral infection" with old blood.

Lifetime bans should be handed out next.

The truth is that the military need and want some of these ex-TRT banned MPs to assist them in setting up the third party. That means these guys will be allowed to be involved in politics in the run up to the election as long as they dont try and stand as MPs or become party executives. Then if the third party form a government with the Dem-Ct alliance all will be fine and no doubt a bunch of amnesties for about 105 will go out. Of course if things go wrong and the book burning proxy cheerleader of massacres gets an overall majority then there could be a bunch of court cases at this point.

Reconcilliation in PPP terms means totally according to their terms and totally agree with them. In that way they are the most extremist of all the groups.

Personally I hope to see any government led by anyone rather than one led by a proto-facist linked to the horrendous events of October 6, 1976.

Tony I am not sure if that will be an effective tactic as the EC has the power to stop that. I could be wrong but that Is how I see it. The EC could simply red card the bunch.

It could be also the government is giving them enough rope to hang themselves by letting them keep themselves occupied in this dead end attempt until it is too late to recover.

The EC sure has the power, but to me this is clearly an attempt to create chaos and get the EC to act against many parties in either removing those banned politicians from their list or banning parties again, and then those breaking the rules and their followers will run to the media, "See, see, see?? It's not faiiiiir", trying to get compassion from international media especially. Knowing the election will be monitored, that a PPP victory is not assured, expect dirty tricks to discredit the junta and EC. They have learned nothing and haven't changed since the dissolution of TRT v 1.0.