New Political Party Ready To Launch

sriracha john

Thaksin lawyer to run for parliament

Noppadon Pattama, Deputy Secretary-General of the People Power Party, said Saturday he will contest on the proportional list representation list in his hometown of Nakhon Ratchasima. Noppadon, legal aide of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, denied that the switch from contesting in Bangkok to Nakhon Ratchasima resulted from the decreasing of his popularity in the capital. He explained that he was born and educated in the province so he would like to spread

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=123240

======================================

His niece.... his lawyer.... when will we hear of the political ambitions of his brother's gardener?

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lately as I have been skimming the news particularly on who the PPP/TRT wants. I can’t help but spot in the same clipping phrases like “Indicted for”, “convicted on appeal”,”frozen assets”,”under investagation” and so on. I can see now that the is a certain prerequisite people must have to be viewed as quality stock for the PPP/TRT. Judging by the phrases common in the clippings, that prerequisite appears to be just below the lid of the toilet. :o

Lately as I have been skimming the news particularly on who the PPP/TRT wants. I can’t help but spot in the same clipping phrases like “Indicted for”, “convicted on appeal”,”frozen assets”,”under investagation” and so on. I can see now that the is a certain prerequisite people must have to be viewed as quality stock for the PPP/TRT. Judging by the phrases common in the clippings, that prerequisite appears to be just below the lid of the toilet. :o

The PPP will become a bolt hole for all those accused of something or other as they are offering block amnesties for anyone accused of virtually anything. Right now they are trying to recruit in semi-talented civil servants who are being investigated for anything. This is aimed at changing their image as a party with nobody qualified to actually run a ministry (true right now)

They still remain in a position to actually lead a government unless they face a mass exodus in the next few days (unlikely), or they get caught in real electoral miscoduct (possible) or get stitched up in dodgy electoral misconduct (possible). However, they are a proxy party of Mr. Thaksin and he is not stupid enough to let them have a bunch of clowns run the country into economic chaos especially in a weakening world economy. That could result in his proxy party being out of office very quickly and facing very real rejection at the ballot box. So expect a flurry of activity to recruit in ex-civil servants who did well, or followed orders well under TRT plus those who are under investigation for anything from malpractice to rape. Interestingly they already have one or two ex-CNS members on board (not sure about Kowit) that could get the conspiracy theorists working overtime again.

The PPP will become a bolt hole for all those accused of something or other as they are offering block amnesties for anyone accused of virtually anything. Right now they are trying to recruit in semi-talented civil servants who are being investigated for anything. This is aimed at changing their image as a party with nobody qualified to actually run a ministry (true right now)

They still remain in a position to actually lead a government unless they face a mass exodus in the next few days (unlikely), or they get caught in real electoral miscoduct (possible) or get stitched up in dodgy electoral misconduct (possible). However, they are a proxy party of Mr. Thaksin and he is not stupid enough to let them have a bunch of clowns run the country into economic chaos especially in a weakening world economy. That could result in his proxy party being out of office very quickly and facing very real rejection at the ballot box. So expect a flurry of activity to recruit in ex-civil servants who did well, or followed orders well under TRT plus those who are under investigation for anything from malpractice to rape. Interestingly they already have one or two ex-CNS members on board (not sure about Kowit) that could get the conspiracy theorists working overtime again.

I have to agree with you that the bad boys are banding together to help each other out of a not to pleasant looking future. Also a very good pont that there is no talent in this bunch and that could be a very powerful political attack from other parties providing they have talent in their pocket. That clearly would spell out in no uncertain terms Thaksin is making the decisions behind the scenes.

On the bright side, this collection of <insert your own word here> can be effectively thrown out of the race with one quick swoop from the EC for the PPP being proxies to the banned thus leaving the remaining candidates from other parties untouched.

His niece... his lawyer.... and now... his sister-in-law.... :o

Excerpts from:

People's Power Party Ready for Election Race

The People's Power Party shrugged off any allegations of being representatives of the now-defunct Thai Rak Thai Party, and said it is ready to fight head-on in the South.

Apart from its Southern candidates, the PPP also disclosed the names of 32 female contenders – 17 of them former MPs or related to former Thai Rak Thai executives who were banned from the December 23 election.

Among the female candidates are Karuna Chidchob, the wife of former Buriram MP, Newin Chidchob (TRT Banned #6), and Sriyada Shinawatra, who is the sister-in-law of deposed Premier Thaksin Shinawatra (TRT Banned #1).

- Thailand Outlook

========================================================================

The sis-in-law of Thaksin didn't fair so well last time out, the 2006 elections, when she lost by nearly a 4 to 1 margin to......

uhmm... errrr... ahhhh......

no one running.

From the the thaivisa thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...mp;#entry703743

I Will Not Resign: Thaksin

Thai Rak Thai flops in Phuket poll

PHUKET: -- Thai Rak Thai Party (TRT) candidate Dr Sriyada Palimapan has failed in her bid to be elected Member of Parliament for Phuket District 1.

Dr Sriyada garnered a total of 11,910 votes, but these were far outweighed by the 41,903 “no votes” cast by voters in District 1.

--Phuket Gazette 2006-03-03

==========================================================================

Here's a photo of the cosmetic dentist who wants to be MP:

SriyadaShinawatra.jpg

Sriyada Shinawatra

Edited by sriracha john

The parade of kinfolk of TRT banished-ees continues for PPP....

Wikran in 'for the good of the nation'

Wikran Suphamongkol, the 27-year-old nephew of former Foreign Minister Kantathi Suphamongkol (TRT Banned #31), has decided to jump into the fray with the People Power Party.

He said his decision came after he watched his clients suffer from the economic slowdown. "I used to run a financial company and many of my clients went bankrupt because of the economic situation," he explained. He said he has had an eye on politics for a while now, but wasn't able to join in because he was studying.

After receiving his master's degree two years ago, Wikran set up his company, though he never dropped the idea of becoming a politician. When he told his uncle that he wanted to run for a seat in Bangkok, "he told me he wanted me to do a doctorate, instead".

However, Wikran said he wanted to follow in his uncle's footsteps. His other role model is Samak Sundaravej. :o:D

Wikran admits that he is fresh in this field, has no supporters and will have to rely on senior party members to help him canvass for votes. "I have to learn to approach people. I have introduced myself to some voters and told them what I can do for them," he said.

He admitted he was a bit worried about the attempt to block People Power Party candidates affecting him as a new face, but he hopes voters will give him a chance because "they will see someone young who can do some good for the nation".

- The Nation

I can imagine political observers from around the world are getting a good chuckle out of the PPP/TRT. Very clearly they are not thinking out any of their actions and moving on impulse. That certainly does not demonstrate any of the higher cognitive abilities needed to properly govern a country. No platform, no independent ideas, very sad indeed.

Thaksin was the only one in the TRT that showed any know how. But then again he was the only one who said anything because nobody wanted to bite the hand that fed them I imagine.

I wonder if some sort of test roughly equal to a bar test would be in order before you could become a minister or even a MP for that fact.

I can imagine political observers from around the world are getting a good chuckle out of the PPP/TRT. Very clearly they are not thinking out any of their actions and moving on impulse. That certainly does not demonstrate any of the higher cognitive abilities needed to properly govern a country. No platform, no independent ideas, very sad indeed.

Thaksin was the only one in the TRT that showed any know how. But then again he was the only one who said anything because nobody wanted to bite the hand that fed them I imagine.

I wonder if some sort of test roughly equal to a bar test would be in order before you could become a minister or even a MP for that fact.

"No platform, no independent ideas"

Say what?!! They have made it very clear that they are dedicated to continuing the policies of the TRT. That's a pretty substantial platform.

"No platform, no independent ideas"

Say what?!! They have made it very clear that they are dedicated to continuing the policies of the TRT. That's a pretty substantial platform.

Specifics, what was correct then is not the same now. They can’t even pull that together to know what to say. How will they do it and so on..... they have no clue.

I have to agree with you that the bad boys are banding together to help each other out of a not to pleasant looking future. Also a very good pont that there is no talent in this bunch and that could be a very powerful political attack from other parties providing they have talent in their pocket. That clearly would spell out in no uncertain terms Thaksin is making the decisions behind the scenes.

On the bright side, this collection of <insert your own word here> can be effectively thrown out of the race with one quick swoop from the EC for the PPP being proxies to the banned thus leaving the remaining candidates from other parties untouched.

Personally i think this quite unlikely and indeed to be a very risky startegy if employed. I wouldnt be surprised to see a handful of PPP red carded but beyond that would undermine the credibility of the election unless direct and irrefutable proof could be supplied of direct electoral abuse and this kind of evidence is hard to find even though obviously PPP have bought at least some candidates and will use at least some vote buying. I increasingly feel a deal is far more likely after the election (possibly even before behind closed doors and secretly) which is more a test of who has the upper hand in negotiating it imho. Elections at the end of the day are what Mr. Thaksin is best at and I feel he will do at least well enough to cut a reasonable deal from his perspective. It could well be that both the main sides have just come to a position where they cannot defeat each other and will need to find a way to exist within a framework that both can live with. The country has had no efective government for two years now and this situation cannot contiue for much longer without far more severe consequences than the job losses and rising prices we see now.

Former TRT MP demands politicians to work for the country

Former Thai Rak Thai party-list MP Premsak Phiayura requests political parties to do the best for the country instead of their own interests.

Mr. Premsak, who is currently a Buddhist monk named Phra Premsak Pemsako, says political movements aimed to withdraw the new constitution draft are nothing but useless since the Council for National Security (CNS) is entitled to choose any previous constitution as stated in the interim charter. He views the constitutional amendment could be done easier than the previous once since the public members are encouraged to take part in politics.

Phra Premsak suggests all parties to keep away from violence and cooperate with one another to pass the constitution draft for the new government to administer.

Phra Pemsak reminds Thai people to have the presence of mind and clear up the misunderstandings to honour His Majesty the King, adding that the 111 top executives of the disbanded TRT could do something else useful to the society rather than being politicians.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 June 2007

UPDATE... he's decided not to follow his own advice to others....

Phra Premsak to leave monkhood soon

Khon Kaen - Phra Premsak or former Thai Rak Thai Party MP Premsak Piayura (TRT Non-Banned #2) announced Sunday that he would leave the monkhood to contest the upcoming general election.

The monk gave an interview that he would leave the monkhood in a few days without giving the specific date.

Premsak was ordained in March last year.

- The Nation

================================================================================

Premsak Piayura is #2 on the list of 8 Thai Rak Thai executives who escaped the ban as they resigned before the Constitutional Tribunal accepted the electoral fraud case for trial.

Surprisingly, he's not going to PPP....

Chart Thai to announce another newcomer

Chart Thai Party plans to make some more noise ahead of the December 23 general election by introducing yet another member. Dr Premsak Piayura, a former Khon Kaen MP from the now defunct Thai Rak Thai Party, is due to be unveiled as Chart Thai Party’s newest member this afternoon. Chart Thai Party made headlines recently with the defection of veteran politician and former Mahachon Party Leader, Maj-Gen Sanan Kajornprasat and former Deputy Leader of Pracharaj Party, Korn Dhabbaransi. Dr Premsak officially left the monkhood on Sunday.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=123294

Former TRT MP demands politicians to work for the country

Former Thai Rak Thai party-list MP Premsak Phiayura requests political parties to do the best for the country instead of their own interests.

Mr. Premsak, who is currently a Buddhist monk named Phra Premsak Pemsako, says political movements aimed to withdraw the new constitution draft are nothing but useless since the Council for National Security (CNS) is entitled to choose any previous constitution as stated in the interim charter. He views the constitutional amendment could be done easier than the previous once since the public members are encouraged to take part in politics.

Phra Premsak suggests all parties to keep away from violence and cooperate with one another to pass the constitution draft for the new government to administer.

Phra Pemsak reminds Thai people to have the presence of mind and clear up the misunderstandings to honour His Majesty the King, adding that the 111 top executives of the disbanded TRT could do something else useful to the society rather than being politicians.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 June 2007

UPDATE... he's decided not to follow his own advice to others....

Phra Premsak to leave monkhood soon

Khon Kaen - Phra Premsak or former Thai Rak Thai Party MP Premsak Piayura (TRT Non-Banned #2) announced Sunday that he would leave the monkhood to contest the upcoming general election.

The monk gave an interview that he would leave the monkhood in a few days without giving the specific date.

Premsak was ordained in March last year.

- The Nation

================================================================================

Premsak Piayura is #2 on the list of 8 Thai Rak Thai executives who escaped the ban as they resigned before the Constitutional Tribunal accepted the electoral fraud case for trial.

Surprisingly, he's not going to PPP....

Chart Thai to announce another newcomer

Chart Thai Party plans to make some more noise ahead of the December 23 general election by introducing yet another member. Dr Premsak Piayura, a former Khon Kaen MP from the now defunct Thai Rak Thai Party, is due to be unveiled as Chart Thai Party’s newest member this afternoon. Chart Thai Party made headlines recently with the defection of veteran politician and former Mahachon Party Leader, Maj-Gen Sanan Kajornprasat and former Deputy Leader of Pracharaj Party, Korn Dhabbaransi. Dr Premsak officially left the monkhood on Sunday.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=123294

Banharn is definitely strengthening his hand to give himself an outside shot at being PM again, but in alliance with whom?

Chalem threatens to leave People Power Party

Controversial politician Chalerm Yoobamrung Sunday threatened to leave the People Power Party if it refuses to field his two sons as candidates in the December 23 election.

Chalerm made the threat following reports the party would not pick the sons to run for seats in Bangkok.

Chalerm said he joined the party after being approached by a leading member. But he insisted his two sons run on its ticket in the capital.

"If People Power does not select me and my two sons - Wan and Duang - as Bangkok candidates, I'll be ready to leave the party," Chalerm told a news conference at his home.

- The Nation

===============================================

No word yet on whether Chalerm was waving a large-caliber handgun while making his threats.

Well, if he did.... it wasn't loaded....

Chalerm to contest poll as PPP party-list candidate

Political veteran Chalerm Yoobamrung backed down from his demand for the People Power Party to run his two sons in the next election and he himself agrees to contest as PPP's No-2 party-list candidate.

Chalerm told reporters Monday that he has received a green light from London to contest the December 23 election as No-2 candidate on the PPP's party list.

He said his two sons would be his assistants without joining the PPP.

- The Nation

===============================

"a green light from London"??? Does that mean that PM Brown is endorsing his candidacy? :o

Abhisit heads Democrats' Bangkok list

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva will head the party's list of 10 candidates for the proportionate vote in Bangkok while party chief adviser Chuan Leekpai will head the list 10 candidates for the South.

Party Secretary-General Suthep Thaugsuban is to contest the direct vote in Surat Thani, his hometown.

Also on the list with Abhisit for proportionate-vote constituency No 6, which comprises Bangkok, Samut Prakan and Nonthaburi, are Charoen Kanthawong and Pothipong Lamsam.

Chuan will be standing from constituency No 8, comprising Surat Thani, Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Trang, Phatthalung, Satun, Songkhla, Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat. His team includes Banyat Bantadtan and Trairong Suwankhiri.

For the proportionate vote, the country has been divided into eight constituencies, each with 10 House seats. The direct vote will see 400 House seats up for grabs in 197 constituencies.

Meanwhile, three advisers to Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin and a Bangkok Metropolitan Administration spokesman have resigned their posts to contest the general election as Democrat candidates.

Advisers Samart Ratchapolsitte, Kowit Tharana and Ratchadaporn Kaewsanit and spokesman Chanin Rungsaeng informed Apirak of their intention yesterday.

Apirak, who is a Democrat deputy leader, offered them moral support and said he expected more of his advisers would resign to contest the election.

- The Nation

Puea Pandin Party looking for a partnership

Alliance must not cause confrontation

The Puea Pandin Party is ready to team up with any other party that will not create further political confrontation in the country, said Surakiart Sathirathai (TRT Banned #21), the Party's co-founder and adviser. Although it is too early to decide which party or parties Puea Pandin will ally itself with after the Dec 23 general election, the party has a policy to work only with those who want to bring political stability back to Thailand, he said. ''Restoring peace and political stability is our priority,'' Surakiart said. His statement is seen as a hint that the party would not join forces with the People Power Party (PPP) in forming a coalition government after the polls. Puea Pandin, however, has not completely distanced itself from the TRT. ''We are not a proxy of the TRT, but we want to follow some of its steps,'' said Surakiart. This would include pursuing some of the populist policies of the Thaksin administration, he said. ''Dropping bad ones, improving those with good potential, and proceeding with good ones, this is what we will do with the populist schemes if we have a chance to join the [next] government,'' said another Puea Pandin Party co-founder, Suranand Vejjajiva (TRT Banned #51).

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/06Nov2007_news13.php

The horse-trading and jockey selection is nearing completion...

Clash of the Titans in capital

Abhisit, Samak, Chettha and Prachai head parties' lists for constituency 6

Most major political parties yesterday revealed their lists of candidates to contest the proportionate vote in the December 23 election, with registration of candidates from tomorrow.

Competition appears to be hotting up in the capital, where party leaders and key figures are standing.

Four party leaders will contest Zone 6, which consists of Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Samut Prakan. They are Abhisit Vejjajiva, of the Democrat Party; Samak Sundaravej, of the People Power Party (PPP); Prachai Leophairatana, of Matchima Thipataya; and Gen Chettha Thanajaro, of Ruam Jai Thai Chat Pattana.

The PPP is also represented in Zone 6 by Chalerm Yoobamrung; Gen Ruangroj Mahasara-nonda, former Armed Forces Supreme Commander; Mingkwan Saengsuwan, former MCOT President; Jarupong Ruangsuwan; and Chat Kuldilok, former Central Investigation Bureau Commissioner.

Other Democrats to contest the zone will be Charoen Kanthawong, MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra, Pussadee Tamthai, and Prakob Jirakiti.

Chat Thai Party's Yutthasak Sasiprabha and acting Party Leader Korn Dabbaransi will also run in zone six.

Registration begins tomorrow and ends on Sunday for the proportionate-vote candidates contesting 80 House seats in eight zones throughout the country. Ten seats are up for grabs in each zone.

The Democrats, PPP, Chat Thai and Matchima Thipataya parties all made their lists public yesterday.

Chalerm said he had obtained the green light from London. He was referring to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, *oh, ok... so it wasn't in reference to PM Brown, afterall* :o who has reportedly attained control of the new political party. *did he ever not have control? :D

Chalerm will remain with the PPP even though his two sons, who are aspiring MPs, will not be allowed to run under the party's banner. He explained yesterday it would do him more harm than good to leave the party.

Thaksin has lived in exile in London since his government was overthrown during the military coup in September 2006.

The PPP was taken over by politicians from the Thai Rak Thai Party, which was founded by Thaksin and disbanded in May at the order of the Constitution Tribunal.

The PPP has placed key figures at the top of its lists in all zones. Party Secretary-General Surapong Suebwonglee will lead the list in Zone 4, which makes up Buri Ram, Surin, Srisaket, Ubon Ratchathani, Yasothon, and Roi Et. Surapong is followed on the PPP list by Chai Chidchob.

In Zone 1 - which consists of Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan, Phrae, Lampang, Lamphun, Sukhothai, Tak, and Kamphaeng Phet - Deputy Party Leader Yongyuth Tiyapairat will lead the list followed by Sompong Amornwiwat, and Somchai Wongsawat, Thaksin's brother-in-law.

Thaksin's spokesman, Noppadon Pattama, and Watana Muangsook are on the list for Zone 5, which consists of Sa Kaew, Nakhon Ratchasima, Pathum Thani, Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi, and Trat.

In Zone 8 - made up of Surat Thani, Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi, Nakhon Sri Thammarat, Trang, Phattalung, Satun, Songkhla, Pattani, Yala, and Narathiwat, will feature Wadah faction member Areephen Uttrasin.

Some zones are expected to be fierce contests. The Democrats will be represented in Zone 5 by former People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) members Kraisak Choonhavan and Somkiat Pongpaiboon. They will be up against Surapong. Ruam Jai Thai Chat Pattana will be represented in Zone 5 by Poompirom Liptapanlop, wife of banned TRT member, Suwat Liptapanlop.

Chuan Leekpai, chief adviser for the Democrats, will lead the party-list in Zone 8, followed by Banyat Bantadtan, Trairong Suwankhiri, and Jurin Laksanavisit. Party Secretary-General Suthep Thaugsuban will contest in a constituency in Surat Thani.

The Democrats will be led by former Senate Speaker Manoonkrit Roopkachorn in Zone 7, consisting of Ranong, Chumpon, Prachuab Khiri Khan, Phetchaburi, Ratchaburi, Samut Songkhram, Samut Sakhon, Nakhon Pathom, Kanchanaburi, Suphan Buri, Chainat, Sing Buri, Angthong, Ayutthaya, and Saraburi.

Most of the candidates on Matchima Thipataya's list are from the camp of banned TRT executive member Somsak Thepsuthin and former PAD members. Somsak's wife and party Secretary-General, Anongwan, will lead the list in Zone 1. Somsak's personal secretary, Banyin Tangpakorn, will lead in Zone 2. Deputy Party Leader and former PAD member Karun Sai-ngam will top the list in Zone 4. Prachai Leophairatana's brother, Pramual, will lead in Zone 5.

For Chat Thai, party leader Banharn Silapa-archa will run in the constituency system in Suphan Buri. In Zone 7, which is Banharn's strong base, his daughter, Kanchana, will head the list. Nikorn Chamnong will lead the list in Zone 8.

Anek Laothammatas, Deputy Leader of Ruam Jai Thai Chat Pattana, is expected to represent his party in Zone 1. Secretary-General Pradit Pattaraprasit is expected to lead Zone 2.

- The Nation

Samak challenges Sonthi over gun allegation

(BangkokPost.com) - People Power party leader Samak Sundaravej challenged Deputy Prime Minister Sonthi Boonyaratkalin to sue him if authorities can prove an allegation that a soldier pointed a gun at his head is a lie.

Mr Samak's challenge came after Gen Sonthi's threatening to sue the PPP over the allegation.

Former army chief, Sonthi said an army inquiry had concluded the allegation was groundless.

Army chief Anupong Paochinda also said an army investigation found that no soldiers from the Second Army, which oversees security operations in Amnat Charoen Province where the allegation took place, had taken weapons outside their operational bases during the time in question.

Mr Samak...

More nonsense here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/p...l.php?id=123322

You will be hard pressed to tell me this is not coming from Thaksin himself. Last time I checked Sonthi was not running for office so Samak should not waste his time on non issues. This is a personal attack from Thaksin and has nothing to do with the elections.

The boss said to bark at Sonthi so I guess Samak barked. By the way I came face to face with Samak today as he came off a lift with his little gang in tow.

Samak to be PM if PPP wins election

Leader of People Power party (PPP) Samak Sundaravej said he will be the next prime minister if his party wins the Dec 23 election and forms the government. "What is the use of being a party leader if one does not get to be a premier?" Samak asked reporters on Tuesday. The Party Leader also revealed that he will lead his members to register for proportional representation system on Wednesday. According to Samak, PPP will begin its voting campaign on Nov 16 at Sanam Luang in Bangkok. Candidates under the party banner will travel to all provinces except the three southernmost provinces that are torn by insurgency. Samak, former Bangkok governor, will also appear in a 25-minute interview tonight to tell public the party's policies.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=123332

===========================================================

Samak upbeat for premiership

People Power Party Leader Samak Sundaravej voiced optimism on Tuesday that he would become the next prime minister after leading his party to victory in the December 23 general election.

"Why should I be the party leader if I don't aspire for the position of prime minister?" he asked.

Samak said he is ready to lead his party list candidates through the registration process on Wednesday and that his party will kick off a major rally at Sanam Luang next Friday.

The party's campaigning activities will conclude with another Sanam Luang rally on December 21, he said, vowing to visit every constituency during the campaigning.

His campaign platforms include the construction of eight train routes for mass transportation in Bangkok, the promotion of coal-fire power and nuclear energy, he said.

- The Nation

Meanwhile, while still thinking on the subject of nuclear energy...

Ex-premier Anand raps election platforms

Former PM Anand Panyarachun criticised policies of most political parties as far from reality. Anand said most policies "sell dreams" and they show no clear stance on concrete measures. Most of them talk about parties' objectives, many of which came from national development plans, he said, adding that the parties fail to explain how to bring these plans come true. Anand uses education policies of some parties, which said they will offer free education to Thai youth until they receive master's degrees. But the parties never explain how they can do to achieve the goal, or where will the budget

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=123333

Prachai willing to join any party in coalition

Matchima Thipataya to bring in welfare state

The Matchima Thipataya has emerged as a political variable in the run-up to the elections. Party Leader Prachai Leophairatana has announced he is willing to join a coalition with anyone, including the People Power Party, just as long as he is in the next government. He did not think any party would emerge with the majority 241 seats or more needed to form a single-party government, so a coalition was inevitable. ''The People Power party is no exception. If they want to join hands with us, they just have to prove their political principles are compatible with ours,'' he said. The PPP must also clear itself legally of the taint of admitting to being a nominee for the disbanded Thai Rak Thai party. Prachai is clearly seen as one of key supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), which staged huge demonstrations against the Thaksin Shinawatra government which led to the Sept 19 coup last year. ''Now, I'm the leader of Matchima Thipataya, which means a neutral democratic party, so we will be neutral and are willing to team up with everyone,'' Prachai said. He hoped to win enough seats to emerge as leader of the core party forming the next government. He would take the PM's job. ''We will go beyond the populist policies being pushed by all other parties. Our policy is to bring in a welfare state,'' said Prachai.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/07Nov2007_news06.php

Excerpts from:

General election contest kicks off in Thailand with numerology rite

Bangkok - Eighteen political parties registered their "party list" candidates Wednesday to contest Thailand's upcoming December 23 general election, officially kicking off the campaign season with a much-watched numerology rite. In a ritual steeped in Thai superstition and local beliefs in numerology, party leaders had to choose one of 18 plastic balls containing the number that would represent their party-list candidates in the polls.

The Democrat Party, one of the top contenders in this election, ended up with number 4, while its main rival the People's Power Party picked number 12. The Motherland Party got the much coveted number 1.

"Number four is fine," said Oxford-educated Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, 43.

People's Power Party leader Samak Sundaravej, 72, a well-known veteran of Thailand's politics and a loyal ally of Thaksin's, brushed off questions about his party's less-than-auspicious choice of number 12 for it's party list candidates.

"It's no problem," he told reporters. "We will tell voters to remember that we are one dozen," he joked.

The Motherland Party, which chose number 1, is likewise packed with former allies of Thaksin's, although most have now distanced themselves from the controversial former premier.

Altogether, 18 political parties registered party-list candidates on Wednesday.

In the aftermath of the 2006 coup, Thailand's Constitution Court found the TRT guilty of committing election fraud in the April 2006, polls, which were later annulled. The court disbanded the party and barred 111 TRT MPs, including Thaksin, from Thai politics for five years.

- Associated Press

Yet another comment from Samak giving us a glimpse at the PPP's platform which seems to consist of a single objective, revenge for a select few with hefty rewards from The Little Emperor. Following that, it seems the country would be presented with a series of comical and drama improvisations and possiby some action with lotsa kicking and punching.

Samak: People to decide if coup was just

(BangkokPost.com) – The battle seems to be on between the People Power party (PPP) and the Council for National Security, at least according to PPP leader Samak Sundaravej.

Talking to reporters after the morning number ballot draw for political parties, Mr Samak said he was happy with the number 12, and stressed his intention of eliminating those who ousted the former Thaksin Shinawatra administration.

“Our mission in the December election will be to eliminate the powers that ousted Mr Thaksin,” Mr Samak said.

“Up to this very day, the CNS is still unable to find a reason for the military takeover. They accused the former government of several crimes but for over a year, they have been unable to prove their claims.”

“The people will be able to decide for themselves next month whether the coup was justified.”

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=123352

Edited by Tony Clifton

If the 'moo ban' were i stay for a while is any indication of what will be the outcome of the election i am sorry to say that it will be a landslide victory for PPP.

Just in my small circle of family and neighbours i counted 27 for PPP and 1 (my wife) for the democrats.

The argument is 'economy' and '30 baht', lottery money for education and more of this nonsense.

I suspect that in a lot of areas this overwhelming support for PPP is caused by looking at specific channels on TV, which as i can see is the only medium for information. Not many newspapers are read in this area. (Bangkok suburb with quit a lot of hard working people)

I would be nice to have a short version of what PPP is actually doing and what kind of people are in this party.

I think the only way to 'swing' this around is to get some real information out.

Or should we start handing out some 500 baht notes to NOT vote for PPP. :o

Edited by Khun Jean

Can Samak say anything that doesn't sound stupid?... :o

Samak backs down from debating Abhisit

People Power Party Leader Samak Sundaravej has refused to participate in a direct debate with his rival Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva.

"I will not appear with him (Abhisit) in a televised debate - this is not good for gossiping," he said.

Samak has also launched into a tirade against his rival, saying voters would risk facing a coup if giving their mandate to Abhisit to form the next government.

Abhisit said he was willing to debate with Samak anywhere, anytime.

- The Nation

================================

Not a lot of ways to wiggle out from Abhisit's all-inclusive words.

People Power Party Leader Samak Sundaravej has refused to participate in a direct debate with his rival Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva.

"I will not appear with him (Abhisit) in a televised debate - this is not good for gossiping," he said.

Samak has also launched into a tirade against his rival, saying voters would risk facing a coup if giving their mandate to Abhisit to form the next government.

- The Nation

I see Samak and his boss, The Little Emperor, have a common cowardly trait.

Debatophobia. :D

They'd surely pick walking through a minefield first. :D

Edited by Tony Clifton

30055160-01.jpg

People Power Party Leader Samak Sundaravej, left, addresses a press conference at the party’s HQ yesterday to introduce veteran Chalerm Yoobamrung as a candidate in the proportional vote. Chalerm thanked the party for fielding him as No 2 candidate.

The Nation

People Power Party member Chalerm says his party can win election

The People Power Party is confident that it will be able to win the general election by a landslide.

Veteran politician and People Power Party member Chalerm Yoobamrung expressed confidence that his party is able to triumph in the upcoming general election. However, he says it is too soon to determine the number of seats his party will gain, as it would be up to the people’s belief in the party. He says the party with the most trust from the public should run the new government.

On forming alliance with other political parties, Pol. Capt. Chalerm says it is too early to consider it, and it is up to his party leader, Samak Sundaravej, and other executive members. In addition, he says the People Power party does not want to become an opposition of other parties, but it is not afraid to expose the confidential documents aimed at damaging the party, adding that the papers can be inspected.

ThaiNews

Edited by sriracha john

- The Nation

No debate? Sounds like a nice paint job but nothing under the hood.

I guess it goes that the don’t have a platform yet only revenge on the agenda.

Saying they will continue Thaksin’s polices is like saying they want to bring the Model T Ford back into production. Times and situations change, and it looks like they have not a clue what to do. Lets hope the people who would be willing to sell votes take that into consideration.